Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

There's a few of us planning to climb 13,865 Mt. Buckskin on Washington's Birthday this coming Monday. For those who don't know this mountain...it's a Centennial located 1.5 miles SW of Mt. Democrat.

We are planning to meet at the Almart General Store (http://almartcolorado.com/) at 7am. Shortly after that, driving up the road to the winter road closure on Buckskin St./Country Rd. 8. We hope to be hiking up the road towards Kite Lake by 7:30ish.

We welcome any others who would care to join us.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Re: Mt. Buckskin, Mon. 2/21

Postby Monster5 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Britt,

I'll see if I can whip out some homework early and join you again!

For what it's worth, here's Buckskin's west half from Sunday:

buckskin.JPG
buckskin.JPG (83.46 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby climbing_rob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 pm

This probably won't be a popular post, but here goes anyway: I'm 95% convinced what Roach has marked at the Buckskin summit is not the true summit, the "13,865" in his book with the arrow pointing at it (and the routes ending on). The true summit is another .2 miles WNW, marked "Buckskin" (duh) on TOPO's. I climbed "13865" one winter, near whiteout, we got to the "summit" looked over to the west and saw what looked like a higher point, but believed in Gerry (plus the weather was horrible), and called it good. Never felt quite right.

We went back just this last September, re-climbed "13865", let my GPS settle down, read right around in the 13855-13865 range, hiked the additional 0.2 miles and the GPS read higher by 10-20 feet, fairly consistently. Came back over 13,865 and double checked that it indeed read lower. I do understand GPS's can have a 20-30' scatter, that's why I'm not 100% sure of this, merely 95%.

Many do not care about such trivial differences, but I do in this case, never felt "complete" the first time, but I now feel like I've truly summitted Buckskin. Sorry Gerry.
Attachments
buckskin.JPG
buckskin.JPG (328.05 KiB) Viewed 996 times

Postby Johnson » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:43 pm

climbing_rob wrote:This probably won't be a popular post, but here goes anyway: I'm 95% convinced what Roach has marked at the Buckskin summit is not the true summit, the "13,865" in his book with the arrow pointing at it (and the routes ending on). The true summit is another .2 miles WNW, marked "Buckskin" (duh) on TOPO's. I climbed "13865" one winter, near whiteout, we got to the "summit" looked over to the west and saw what looked like a higher point, but believed in Gerry (plus the weather was horrible), and called it good. Never felt quite right.

We went back just this last September, re-climbed "13865", let my GPS settle down, read right around in the 13855-13865 range, hiked the additional 0.2 miles and the GPS read higher by 10-20 feet, fairly consistently. Came back over 13,865 and double checked that it indeed read lower. I do understand GPS's can have a 20-30' scatter, that's why I'm not 100% sure of this, merely 95%.

Many do not care about such trivial differences, but I do in this case, never felt "complete" the first time, but I now feel like I've truly summitted Buckskin. Sorry Gerry.

Very Interesting! :-k
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby kaiman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

climbing_rob wrote:This probably won't be a popular post, but here goes anyway: I'm 95% convinced what Roach has marked at the Buckskin summit is not the true summit, the "13,865" in his book with the arrow pointing at it (and the routes ending on). The true summit is another .2 miles WNW, marked "Buckskin" (duh) on TOPO's. I climbed "13865" one winter, near whiteout, we got to the "summit" looked over to the west and saw what looked like a higher point, but believed in Gerry (plus the weather was horrible), and called it good. Never felt quite right.

I felt the same way both times I summited Buckskin (one time from Kite Lake and the other from Loveland Mountain) and my altimeter also showed the elevations being reversed like your GPS. So I climbed both "summits" just to be sure. Not sure if it was Gerry's error or just due to the USGS maps he was using at the time...
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby jeffskio » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I am in for this one. Anyone driving from Colorado springs?

Postby globreal » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm

jeffskio wrote:I am in for this one. Anyone driving from Colorado springs?

Yep...I'll be driving from the Springs and up for carpooling.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby weschun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Sunny1 and I will be leaving from the Twin Forks Park and Ride near Indian Hills at 5:50. Will probably have room for one more.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby madeinus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm

We thought the same thing when we did it. I remember reading that it gets pretty rough, pretty quick, immediately after your descent of Buckskin towards Tweto. However, looked like an easy jaunt from 13,865 to the other summit so didnt think it was the true high point. After tagging the further highpoint the ridge dropped off pretty quick towards Tweto; so figured that was the true summit.

Postby Derek » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:15 pm

weschun wrote:Sunny1 and I will be leaving from the Twin Forks Park and Ride near Indian Hills at 5:50. Will probably have room for one more.

Can I call that seat?

And I agree with the others, "west" Buckskin looked higher to me too when I was up there last.

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby weschun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Derek- Barring anything crazy happening, It's yours.

Wes
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby globreal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks Bob (and others) for the headsup on that. I recently missed a "true" summit on East LaPlata and your right, it just doesn't feel right.

Looks like a good group with 7 potentials:
globreal
Weshun
Sunny1
Jeffskio
Derek
anna
Monster5

To those who listed as potential, would you please update if your plans have changed?

Next