Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another Evans Attempt

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Another Evans Attempt

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Steve, all - I'll plan on it.

-Jim

Postby mountainmicah83 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 am

strongmelon wrote:not even a Roach, can escape.

Wow. Are you calling out Gerry Roach?

Now, If he were there, that trio would be sumptin else.

Good luck on your finisher Steve. We have a friend coming from out of town who is really wanting Longs so we won't be able to make it.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com

Postby Boggy B » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 am

I'm tentatively in. Still from Deer Creek to meet you on the summit!

Postby zoomie83 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Is there a TH or landmark feature where you will be starting from? If I join you I plan to car-camp the night before and need more specific detail on where your group will be starting from. Thanks!

Brian,
Its very obvious where the snow plow stopped. Its at the junction of Guanella Pass Road and FS 119 at these coordinates: 39.52677 105.73134
Unless you drive off the road, its almost impossible to miss this junction and its 6.8 miles above US 285. Have fun.

Postby Brian Thomas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying where Todd. Might car-camp at the fee area site below there.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Anyone doing the Sawtooth?

Postby d_baker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Fletch wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Anyone doing the Sawtooth?

I could be your huckleberry. Folks are in town that weekend, but what did you have in mind?

Supposedly they are leaving early now. But I did bail on a CMC trip with Darin for that day... OH IM SO CONFUSED!

Anyway, you thinking Bierstadt and Evans? :D

I didn't expect you to come back for another round of Yale anyway James!

Steve, won't be there physically, but I'll be thinking of you and your accomplishment while I'm on Yale.
Good luck, and have a great time!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

James, Yes, I'd like to get both peaks, with or without the traverse, depending on conditions, of course. Sorry to hear you're out but if things change and you're back in, let me know.

Darin, bummed to hear you can't make it! Have a good time on Yale. Again. :wink:

Micah, I'm split between this trip and Cables... wish they'd lined up for separate weekends! I know we've been planning Cables for a while, but as you know, I want to be there for Steve's finish. You're still the BBS in my book.

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:58 pm

Thread bump. I'm still planning on joining for this...
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Perea » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Steve I know I expressed interest but have a seminar I'm attending this weekend. Good luck up there!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:14 am

Steve, what's your current thoughts for Sunday? As you know, weather deteriorates from tomorrow into the weekend.

Postby sgladbach » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Jim, et. al.

Postponing due to weather: Alyson and Prakash verified my gut feeling that I don't want to invite novices on a questionable day.

I WILL attempt Monday or Tuesday. Both are predicted to have a fair amount of sun and tolerable temps. However, Monday (my preferred day) is currently labeled: "Blustery." Wind is not mentioned Tuedsay. I'll decide tomorrow when the wind prediction is posted for Tuesday.

Any weather experts out there want to compare wind predictions at 13K-14K for Monday vs Tuesday?

I SWEAR I'll post a final date tomorrow by 2:00PM, even if it means pushing for the summit while abandoning my little brother to the Moutain Fates (Hey, he quides rafting and fishing in the Black canyon of the Gunnison; he can climb a mountain in winter, right!?)

Primary change: Dominic and Sarah climbed Bierstadt last Saturday and reported a 7.7 mile hike to Guanella Pass. They (and Ken Nolan on a different trip) have had success this winter from Echo Lake Resort. Ken reports 8-9 miles each way (depending on how the switchbaks are cut.) They have convinced me this is the easiest route this year. It is still primarilty road; there will be a few shortcuts and a few safey cuts.

That moves our motel to Idaho Springs, the TH to Echo Lake and the
Après-Alpinisme to Beau Jo's Pizza (303) 567-4376.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

PreviousNext