Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Another Evans Attempt

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Another Evans Attempt

Postby sgladbach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm scheduling another attemt on evans for my final winter 14er. I'm shooting for 2/27/11.
Still planning on a 5:30 start about 6 miles above Grant. (18 mile day; 10 on road)

I'll postpone again if the weather isn't at least fair. I have strong, but non-winter, friends who want to join. If I have to postpone, I'll do it earlier this time. But, the 70mph winds last time were more than i wanted for a group.Strong winter climbers fit in some stuff on 2/13, but it wasn't a day for the average mountaineer.

Still BBQ at Hog heaven afterward. BYOB allowed. Dinner at 5:50?

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Re: Another Evans Attempt

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Would like to join you for this one Steve.

Postby climbing_rob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Steve: you don't know me from Adam, but we might be doing a training overnighter, camping high between Spaulding and Grey Wolf that Sat/Sun, so we may just have to boogie over to the Evan's summit on Sunday to shake your hand. Tough to time this all out though, but I'll follow your planning thread here and try to divine about what time you and your party might summit.

Congrats in advance for such an amazing accomplishment!

Postby TomPierce » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 pm

Steve: I can't make the 27th, my wife is getting back that day from a girls weekend in Las Vegas, but I might be able to make the dinner. I'm absolutely going to try. Best of luck on the summit attempt,
-Tom

Postby sgladbach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:46 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Steve: you don't know me from Adam, but we might be doing a training overnighter, camping high between Spaulding and Grey Wolf that Sat/Sun, so we may just have to boogie over to the Evan's summit on Sunday to shake your hand.

We're likely coming back over spaulding on our way down. We should see each other.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:38 pm

climbing_rob wrote:Steve: ...we may just have to boogie over to the Evan's summit on Sunday to shake your hand.

sgladbach wrote:We should see each other.

Whoa!

You two together? On the same mountain? Within a foot or two of each other? So much experience occupying a small space might induce what scientists describe as an experiential black hole, where space is warped back on itself so that nothing, not even a Roach, can escape.

Caution is warranted.

P.S. I will be careful to avoid Evans at this time lest the very universe itself collapse!

Postby Summit Lounger » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

Steve, would love to join you, but I have to work on Sunday the 27th.(again). Congrats. Greg

Postby Kiefer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm stoked! I can go now!! :D

"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby hollamby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:17 pm

strongmelon wrote:
climbing_rob wrote:Steve: ...we may just have to boogie over to the Evan's summit on Sunday to shake your hand.

sgladbach wrote:We should see each other.

Whoa!

You two together? On the same mountain? Within a foot or two of each other? So much experience occupying a small space might induce what scientists describe as an experiential black hole, where space is warped back on itself so that nothing, not even a Roach, can escape.

Caution is warranted.

P.S. I will be careful to avoid Evans at this time lest the very universe itself collapse!

Almost every post that I have seen of yours, derails topics and isn't helpful to say the least.

Steve I am going to try and clear my schedule, not sure right now though.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby Brian Thomas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:47 pm

sgladbach wrote:planning on a 5:30 start about 6 miles above Grant. (18 mile day; 10 on road)Steve

Is there a TH or landmark feature where you will be starting from? If I join you I plan to car-camp the night before and need more specific detail on where your group will be starting from. Thanks!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby strongmelon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 pm

hollamby wrote:Almost every post that I have seen of yours, derails topics and isn't helpful to say the least.

Why, you don't believe in black holes?
Last edited by strongmelon on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Kiefer wrote:I'm stoked! I can go now!! :D

OMG! Kiefer, that's hilarious!!

Next