Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you coming to the Ice Day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Are You Planning on Coming, and What are Your Plans

I am coming and am completely new to technical climbing and would like to learn how to safely ice climb, and need to learn the basic's of climbing safety (belay techniques, how to put on a harness correctly, putting on crampons correctly and commands)
No votes
I am coming and am new to ice climbing, but know the basics of climbing safety (belay techniques, commands, rope management) and would like to be shown the basics
42%
I am am an experienced ice climber and need a partner to climb with
50%
I am coming to Ouray, and want to meet up with everyone afterwards
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: Are you coming to the Ice Day?

Postby MyFeetHurt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:44 pm

I will be there as well, blue BD Helmet, yellow Osprey pack. I'll have a rope with me as well if we need another setup. I'll be walking in from the Victorian Inn if anyone else is staying there.

Postby dan_spors » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 am

I just booked Saturday night at the Victorian as well. If anyone wants a room cheap that night, pm me and we can work out the details.

Postby JonW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 am

My wife and I are staying in the Vic as well. Planning on walking up to the upper bridge after breakfast. I have red jacket with a yellow-orange pack.

Postby centrifuge » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am

Cool, we will see people at the upper bridge at 730am! Then O'Briens after. :). This will be a good time!

Postby centrifuge » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Today was pretty damn awesome! Got wet at the end but everyone got on some amazing ice! For those still in Ouray we are hitting O'Brien's at 630pm. See ya there!

Postby dan_spors » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Today was a good day too. My day ended a little early because of the cold and tired hands from over-gripping my ice axes--thankfully NOT for taking an errant ice ax to the face! Can't wait to see pics.

Postby Winter8000m » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Hey all that came this weekend,

Thanks for the great time. It was a priveledge meeting all of you!

I would call this trip a success :lol: Petzl Nomics, Bacon ropes, Fish and Chips, lots of ice climbing.....

I look forward to another gathering next winter and more climbs with all of you.

Signed,
THE Baconator :D
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby ebnhils » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Had a great time this weekend, I enjoyed meeting all of you. Thanks to everyone for your help, advice, and generosity in sharing ropes, tools and other gear. It was truly a group effort. Thanks to Noah for the idea, and to Trevor for organizing. This was my first time on ice and will definately not be my last. This is one of the most fun things I've ever done.

I took lots of pictures, I will try to get them loaded soon...

Bacon, bacon.

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby centrifuge » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:49 pm

a super huge thanks to everyone! there wasn't a person there that didn't help in a huge way, but I have to give an extra special thanks to the folks who helped set, move, and check anchors both days. Not to mention the people who generously let others borrow their gear, including one situation where someone took the boots off their feet so someone could get on the ice! Lots of laughing, and yells of 'ice!', and new friends made for a load of memories. Being in that canyon with all of you really reminded me the the greatest part of being in the mountains is spending time with other people who love being where they are in that moment.

I am working on photos right now, but kept myself busy enough that I didnt take nearly as many as I thought I had. I'll get 'em posted soon! :D
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby aconcagua08 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

great time this weekend and meeting everyone!!! i smell bacon... :^o
"The weak wait for opportunities-The strong make them." - Bazooka Joe

Postby JonW » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the awesome weekend. The entire weekend was such a blast.

Previous