Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Are you coming to the Ice Day?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Are You Planning on Coming, and What are Your Plans

I am coming and am completely new to technical climbing and would like to learn how to safely ice climb, and need to learn the basic's of climbing safety (belay techniques, how to put on a harness correctly, putting on crampons correctly and commands)
No votes
I am coming and am new to ice climbing, but know the basics of climbing safety (belay techniques, commands, rope management) and would like to be shown the basics
42%
I am am an experienced ice climber and need a partner to climb with
50%
I am coming to Ouray, and want to meet up with everyone afterwards
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: Are you coming to the Ice Day?

Postby Colorado4years » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 am

I'm coming! So new to this, but am so excited. Have 0 gear haha.

Where in Ouray?

Postby centrifuge » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 am

I am getting excited now! This should be a lot of fun, I will be posting meet up details later today once we have where we are going to be in the park 100% ironed out.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby MyFeetHurt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:19 am

Most likely I'll drive in late friday night. It sounds like we need a meeting place for saturday morning, along with a good spot to claim a spot to set up a few top ropes. I'd be in the "I have all my own gear and have been a couple times, but am no expert" catagory. I'd be willing to let a few people on my rope, but it would also be nice to get someone with more experience than myself to help out or teach a bit.

Postby skiwall » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:48 am

I just used my gas money to register for the Powderkeg, so I won't make it. No cake for you. I'll be thinking about you guys, though! Have fun! :)
"A good woman knows her place is in the backcountry." - PW '08

Postby Winter8000m » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 am

centrifuge wrote:Just picked up 2.5 gallons of Red Rocks Red from Rock Bottom for Saturday night... :D

Do you have any juice box pouches for me? :lol: :lol:

It will be a great time! looking forward to meeting everyone
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby JonW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 pm

I will be climbing in Ouray this coming weekend Saturday - Monday. Is there a designated meeting spot? I would definitely like to meet some new climbing partners. I'll be bringing a rope and enough gear and screws to set stuff up.

Postby ktimm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Where is the meeting area ? What are the plans ?

Postby centrifuge » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

We are finalizing this today and I will post the meet up stuff later this afternoon :)

The Plan

Postby centrifuge » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

With the help of Doug and Noah I have been able to get this stuff ironed out.

Here's the plan:
Everyone meet up at the upper bridge (directions are posted below) @ 730am on Saturday morning. We will have a number of ropes set for people to use. We are planning on setting up in the South Park Area, which will allow people to hike down. There will be a couple of ropes for what we are calling Ice 101, and a couple of ropes for others to warm up and get a feel for who they want to partner up with for the rest of the day.

I am planning on going to O'Brien's after ice climbing to get fish & chips, and hang out. It's a great place, and from what I can tell stays open the latest of any of the places in Ouray this time of year.

Directions to the Upper Bridge

- Take Highway 550 to the far side of town
- As the highway exits Ouray, you will see a large parking lot on the left side of a large switchback just outside of town. Park here.
- Walk across the highway on Camp Bird Road, you will see a bridge and walk along the road to it *this is not the upper bridge*
- From here there are paths on either side of the canyon that go the short distance to the upper bridge, which you can see clearly from the lower bridge. Walk to it. We will be on the far side of the bridge. It will either be Noah, Doug, or me (Trevor). We answer by our names usually ;) I am by far the ugliest have have a bright green grivel helmet as well as a black beanie with bright orange flames. Its cheesey, but it makes me happy. If anyone has questions, I will have my phone with me, which has service as long as I am not in the canyon itself and that number is...

There are maps of the ice park available online at: http://ourayicepark.com/iceparktour
Also, please take a moment to read the rules of the park, as we dont want to piss anyone off: http://ourayicepark.com/about/rules

Thanks and see you there!
Last edited by centrifuge on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order

Postby aconcagua08 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 pm

so stoked for this weekend!!!!! \:D/
"The weak wait for opportunities-The strong make them." - Bazooka Joe

Postby JB99 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I won't be able to make it due to a weak obligation Sunday, have fun everyone.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby GK83 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Count me in, looking forward to meeting everyone!

PreviousNext