Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Humboldt, 2/19

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Humboldt, 2/19

Postby tmathews » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, the extended forecast is looking pretty favorable, but we all know that can change. The new snow the Sangres received should be nice and consolidated barring storms in the next week. I'm hoping to make a summit bid on Humboldt via the east ridge next Saturday, 2/19. Anyone want to go with?

Re: Humboldt, 2/19

Postby Yikes » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:37 am

Put me down as a possible.

Postby tmathews » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:23 am

Yikes wrote:Put me down as a possible.

Thanks, Jim!

Postby Crestoner » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:33 am

Guys:

As you know, success via the east-ridge route this time of year depends upon a nice track along the South Colony Lakes Road and consolidated snow for your push from the road to the east ridge.

We were out there yesterday, and did not find these luxuries... We actually started ~1000 below the winter TH, as the unbroken snow along the last stretch of road was suspect. I broke trail (snowshoes) to a point ~300 feet past the stream crossing, and called it a nice day (not even close to the summit, but great time on a beautiful day!). Just to check out the snow, from the stopping point on the road I headed up towards the east ridge...got ~25 feet in the unconsolidated thigh-deep snow (see photo of struggle...). [For this route, I do not do the Rainbow Trail approach. I've always gone up the road to a point a few hundred feet past the stream crossing, and then grunted straight up the ridge from there.]

So, there is broken snowshoe trail for ~3 miles. And, hopefully the warm weather this week will consolidate the snow. Have fun up there...I'll look forward to reading a TR about your success.
Attachments
east-ridge start.JPG
east-ridge start.JPG (178.52 KiB) Viewed 1293 times

Postby GerryRigged » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

I would be interested in doing this with a ski decent down the east gully but have no info on conditions. I don't think I would try the decent alone since it may involve trail breaking all the way back to to base of the east ridge. Anyone have any beta on this?

Gerry

Postby tmathews » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 am

GerryRigged wrote:I would be interested in doing this with a ski decent down the east gully but have no info on conditions. I don't think I would try the decent alone since it may involve trail breaking all the way back to to base of the east ridge. Anyone have any beta on this?

Gerry

Sorry, I haven't heard of any.

Bumping this thread back up, too!

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:30 am

Bump. Hoping for a 5:00 - 5:30 start, btw.

Postby sgladbach » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 am

Last i heard, a party of three was planning to head to south colony on friday. their plan was to break trail to the old 4WD TH and camp there. They have a variety of climbing goals in the area for Sat, Sun, Mon.The Saturday plan involved a trip to Upper South Colony Lake and onto Bear's playground.

So.........., if they stck to their plan, there will be broken trail all the way to the trail sign at the base of the humbolt west saddle. that would very much tempt me to attempt the standard route. (Check south- facing avy conditions, South Colony Snotel site, and on-site evaluation.)

I have a notion of my own to poach their trail to Bear's Playground. shooting fr thr current vehichle TH at 6AM.

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 am

Nice. Thanks for the info, Steve! If you do head over to Bear's Playground, would you be attempting Columbia or Kit Carson?

I'm not sure how far up the road people are going to be able to drive -- which is why I'm opting for the east ridge. It'll save an extra 5 miles of walking up and down the road. :shock:

Postby Crestoner » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:13 pm

Here's a shot of the road...from below the usual winter TH. This was taken Saturday morning.
Attachments
road.jpg
road.jpg (141.23 KiB) Viewed 941 times

Postby tmathews » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Crestoner wrote:Here's a shot of the road...from below the usual winter TH.

LOL, so not very far up the road, then. :lol:

Thanks for the beta!

Postby sgladbach » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:56 pm

tmathews wrote: If you do head over to Bear's Playground, would you be attempting Columbia or Kit Carson? Columbia

I'm not sure how far up the road people are going to be able to drive -- which is why I'm opting for the east ridge. It'll save an extra 5 miles of walking up and down the road. :shock:
That east ridge can involve very difficult trailbreaking depending on exactly where you access it and the current conditions. On my 1st winter climb of it ,1/1/88, I left the car at 7AM and summited at 3:30PM. I worked hard the WHOLE time. I accessed at the Rainbow Trail. I didn't have trailbreaking help and, 22 years later, it still stands out as a killer
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Next