Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elbert 2/13

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Elbert 2/13

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:40 pm

So it was Greenhouse's camera! I GOT IT. PM and I'll ship it out. Sorry about the confusion. --jim

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

semitrueskerm wrote:So it was Greenhouse's camera! I GOT IT. PM and I'll ship it out. Sorry about the confusion. --jim

Thanks a lot, Jim.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am

semitrueskerm wrote:I got the feeling that Elbert enjoyed toying with us today with her wind gusts. I was literally knocked down a few times... Any guesses on how fast those gusts topped out at? Summit for me was a sustained windtunnel.

The weather report predicted 50 m.p.h. gusts, but that's not enough to knock most people down. I was knocked down once, and one other person was knocked down 3 times. That would take 70 m.p.h.+, I would think.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:33 am

semitrueskerm - moon stalker - specmiata37 - spaceman - Greenhouseguy

Nice seeing and/or meeting all of you yesterday! Hopefully we can do it again soon. And nice job finding the camera Jim! It was kind of different for none of us to be on the summit at the same time...but the winds didn't really make "hanging around" an option. :)

semitrueskerm wrote:Summit for me was a sustained windtunnel.

Yeah, the final 20 yards or so were pretty bad, I ended up half crawling the final distance just to keep from getting thrown around.

How was everyone elses drive home? :shock: It took us quite a while...which is why I didn't upload pictures like I planned. I wonder how long 285 ended up being closed...we circled back through Breckenridge.

Good hike everyone!

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby rijaca » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:42 am

Greenhouseguy wrote:
semitrueskerm wrote:I got the feeling that Elbert enjoyed toying with us today with her wind gusts. I was literally knocked down a few times... Any guesses on how fast those gusts topped out at? Summit for me was a sustained windtunnel.

The weather report predicted 50 m.p.h. gusts, but that's not enough to knock most people down. I was knocked down once, and one other person was knocked down 3 times. That would take 70 m.p.h.+, I would think.

FYI:

Q: How fast does the wind have to be in order to "blow a person away" and not just knock them over? Is there a specific formula for this?

A: There is no specific formula to determine at what wind speed a person would be knocked over or even blown away. The Beaufort wind scale, in use since 1805, is based on observations of the effects of the wind. Number 8 on this scale is a gale-force wind (39 to 46 mph) and would be sufficient to knock the average person over. Number 12 on the scale is hurricane-force (74 mph and greater), certainly enough to “blow a person away.”

This USA TODAY resource page has more about wind.

(Answered by meteorologist Dennis Feltgen, National Weather Service, Silver Spring, Md., May 3, 2006)
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Derek » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 am

rijaca wrote:Q: How fast does the wind have to be in order to "blow a person away" and not just knock them over? Is there a specific formula for this?

A: There is no specific formula to determine at what wind speed a person would be knocked over or even blown away. The Beaufort wind scale, in use since 1805, is based on observations of the effects of the wind. Number 8 on this scale is a gale-force wind (39 to 46 mph) and would be sufficient to knock the average person over. Number 12 on the scale is hurricane-force (74 mph and greater), certainly enough to “blow a person away.”

Interesting.

I think one of the leading misconceptions on wind speed is the limited lack of comparison. Often, I hear people comparing winds they feel on a mountain with wind speed driving down the highway. Kind of an odd comparison, but understandable since there isn't many other ways to compare. The problem using a comparison like this is that it compares something from partial body (hand/head sticking out a window) to a full body wind capture. Even if 30 MPH in a car doesn't feel fast with your arm out of a window, you better believe that it'll feel faster when that speed hits your entire body.

From this, I usually try to minimize my guesses at wind speed. If so, take what it feels like and divide by 2. :) If I can literally walk during the sustained winds, I'd say its probably less than 35-40 MPH. If the gusts make me have to "take a knee" or crawl to stay upright, I'd say its creeping to 50 or above. I could be wrong though!

My guesses for yesterday, probably 30ish sustained except for the summit which was quite a bit more. (Not stand-able)

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby wooderson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 am

Derek wrote: From this, I usually try to minimize my guesses at wind speed. If so, take what it feels like and divide by 2. :) If I can literally walk during the sustained winds, I'd say its probably less than 35-40 MPH. If the gusts make me have to "take a knee" or crawl to stay upright, I'd say its creeping to 50 or above. I could be wrong though!

My guesses for yesterday, probably 30ish sustained except for the summit which was quite a bit more. (Not stand-able)

--Derek

I've heard that people generally overestimate wind speeds by a wide margin, so your strategy of dividing by 2 sounds like a good one!

I was on Pennsylvania Mountain Saturday, and with our anemometer we measured 41 mph on the summit. That was strong enough to knock me over as I was trying to take a photo, but I'm a fairly small person. Also the gust that toppled me was probably a bit stronger than the 41 mph we measured. Anyway, I think you're right that 50 is probably the crawling threshold for most average-sized people.

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpbBa0SXJI

Here is my video from the summit.
Enjoy the snotsicle.

By the way... How do I embed the YouTube Link and/or photos into this thread?

Postby KeithK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am

Jim, you simply provide the value of "v" (IfpbBa0SXJI)
inside the youtubevideo tags.
Last edited by KeithK on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snow is dumb.™

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:55 am

Okay, I figured out that one.

Now, how do you post a picture to a thread?

what is the "http://image-url" between the IMG & /IMG ? does that mean the pic has to be on the internet, or can I upload it from my hard drive?

thanks-

--jim

Postby spaceman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:12 am

Great trip, It was good to meet everybody yesterday. It took us about 5 hours to get back to Evergreen from the trailhead. We ended up circling through Woodland Park and up through Deckers.

Looking forward to another trip soon.

Postby Trudger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:27 am

Derek wrote:How was everyone elses drive home? :shock: It took us quite a while...which is why I didn't upload pictures like I planned. I wonder how long 285 ended up being closed...we circled back through Breckenridge.

--Derek

285 re-opened just after 6 PM. Jackknifed semi on Kenosha was the cause.

Below is a forum for 285 area traffic updates maintained by police scanner listeners (free site, don't need to log-in to read, I'm not affiliated with it).

http://www.pinecam.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=57

PreviousNext