Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elbert 2/13

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Elbert 2/13

Postby Greenhouseguy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm

That sounds like it would work.

spaceman wrote:Are you interested in carpooling up. I live in Evergreen and could meet you at the park and ride at I-70 and Evergreen Parkway.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby specmiata37 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 am

I'll be passing right by there. What time at the Evergreen Park and Ride? I have a silver Saturn.

Mike
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby spaceman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:44 am

I was thinking 2:45 to 3 AM, its about 2 hours 15 minutes from there to the trailhead according to google. I will have a Black Explorer.

Postby specmiata37 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

See ya at El Rancho Park and Ride by 2:45 am.

Mike
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby moon stalker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 pm

I still may try to drive up the night before and sleep in the back of my truck Sat night. I'll have to see how Sat goes. I'm just a little worried about getting up so early on Sunday, having a long day, and then going to work the following day. I'm used to doing that on Sat and having Sunday to recover. So about the best thing I can do to compromise is get as much sleep as I can Sat night.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby ebnhils » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 pm

moon stalker wrote:I still may try to drive up the night before and sleep in the back of my truck Sat night. I'll have to see how Sat goes. I'm just a little worried about getting up so early on Sunday, having a long day, and then going to work the following day. I'm used to doing that on Sat and having Sunday to recover. So about the best thing I can do to compromise is get as much sleep as I can Sat night.

I'm was thinking the same, sleeping in the back of my truck at the trailhead, don't want to get up that early.
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby semitrueskerm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi All-
I'm planning to drive up to the lower trailhead around 9 pm on Saturday night and sleep in my Silver Jeep Wrangler. If for some reason I over sleep...knock on my windows and wake me! :)
--jim

Postby ebnhils » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am

I will not be going now, woke up feeling sick. Have a good time.

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:19 pm

I'll be meeting Derek at the T-Rex park and ride at 2:45. I'll be driving my green Cherokee. We have room for two more. Who's in?

Postby moon stalker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm heading out shortly to sleep at the trailhead. I almost never oversleep, but if I'm not up when you guys get there, feel free to wake me up. Silver tacoma, 14ers sticker on the camper top. See you tomorrow.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Derek, Specmiata37, Semitrueskerm, and I summited today. No problem getting a 2WD vehicle to the lower South Elbert TH. There was a good trench through the trees, and it looked like quite a few people had hiked the trail recently. I didn't use snowshoes or traction at all, and the others just used microspikes. The wind was ripping sheets of snow off of the upper slopes. Lots of spindrift, and the wind was pretty strong at times. We were able to follow long sections of the standard trail above treeline. In spite of the wind, we were fortunate to have unseasonably warm and sunny weather. Thanks for showing up and making it a fun day, people.

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey guys--
Back in Albuquerque after an awesome day. I wound up trekking out with Bob (who hiked with Spaceman and Moon Walker on the way up). Bob also made summit. I told him I found a Canon camera at 14,200 FEET, and he told me that Derek had lost it. So, Derek, I got it, and it's working fine and your pics from the climb are there. It was totally random that I found it walking down after making summit. It was almost entirely buried by the wind snow and I actually almost stepped on it.
Anyway, PM your address and I'll ship it to you.
Good time today. I got the feeling that Elbert enjoyed toying with us today with her wind gusts. I was literally knocked down a few times... Any guesses on how fast those gusts topped out at? Summit for me was a sustained windtunnel.

PreviousNext