Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Elbert 2/13

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Elbert 2/13

Postby moon stalker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 pm

It was fun heading out with you all yesterday, but the wind was too much for me. Four separate times, I had stopped and leaned over to brace against the wind during a sustained gust. Then out of no where a stronger blast nearly knocked me over. Usually my rule is that I turn around after 3 times, yesterday I let it go to 4. I didn't want to fall over on that rocky trail, it would be my luck to get my foot caught and then end up twisting an ankle or knee or hurt myself somehow.
As for wind speeds, I've had a wind speed meter for about 2.5 years, and I'm getting to the point where I make a mental estimate of the wind, then measure with the meter and I'm usually within 5 mph. For me, I can hike in winds to about 40 to 45 mph, and that's with leaning into the wind, motion itself it still difficult. Lower than 40 is generally ok, I can hike. When the winds start getting to 50 to 55 mph, that's when I stop hiking and brace against the wind. I start getting knocked over in the high 60s to low 70s. Based on that, I would say we had some longer gusts that were in the 50s, and some burts in the 70s. That was just too much for me. The weather forecast the night before said gusts up to 50 mph. The winds were worse the higher you got up, so probably not a bad forecast. I wonder if size does have something to do with it. One person was knocked over, and others said in general the wind was bad, but no one else seemed to have as many problems as I did. I would think a larger person would provide more surface area for the wind to 'catch', so little ole' me shouldn't have had more problems than the larger people in the group? Go figure.
As for the traffic, I was up at the head of line waiting for it to clear, near the accident. I figured once traffic would go through, since I was near the beginning, I'd have a decent shot of getting through fast enough. They started letting cars through at about 5:45 pm, I got there at 4:20. I took a chance of hoping it would clear in a reasonable time and I think the gamble worked. For folks stuck further back in the line, I can imagine it took longer to get through. Seems the accident was caused by the windblown snow going across the road which made a virtual sheet of ice.
I'll load photos tonight, maybe....
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.

Postby specmiata37 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:39 pm

Great day and glad to meet everyone. I'm a small guy, 155 pounds and the wind does move me around quite a bit. It seems to catch my pack and twist me sideways. Right before the final rise to the summit I took my pack off to keep me on my feet. I don't like to leave my pack at all but this seemed to help with the high winds at the summit. Till next time...

Mike
"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."
John Muir

grenouille verte
Colorado Cajun

Postby Greenhouseguy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Special thanks to Jim (semitrueskerm) who returned my camera that I lost 200 feet below the summit on 2/13. I posted pics on FaceBook:

Mt. Elbert W.I.N.D.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Previous