Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Friday 2-11

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Friday 2-11

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Well, the storm didn't pan out for the Sangre the way we'd hoped, so I'm up to something easy on Friday, Feb 11, if anyone wants to join.

Ironically, the Sawatch now has the best avy forecast for all the state areas, as of today. Though still not great - would prefer improvement over the next couple days. With high pressure moving in, could be good. At the moment, NW aspects still look safest. NW ridge on Belford could be ok - though it's not exactly an easy winter 14er. Antero is mostly west but there's that pesky east slope getting around the towers on the summit ridge. Sherman is reputed to be avy safe most of the time, but std rte is east aspect. We'll see how weather and avy forecast shapes up by tomorrow. PM or post if interested.

Jim

Re: Friday 2-11

Postby tmathews » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Sherman is reputed to be avy safe most of the time, but std rte is east aspect. We'll see how weather and avy forecast shapes up by tomorrow. PM or post if interested.

The winter route that turns north and heads up between Sherman and White Ridge isn't usually as wind-loaded, but is still in that "considerable" forecast zone right now. I may try and head up that way on Saturday or Sunday.

Postby Bean » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 pm

I've been looking at the topo for Sherman for the past couple days and it looks like you can stay off of >30deg slopes, but it's almost impossible not to get underneath one following the standard winter route. You could take White Ridge from the bottom and pretty much entirely avoid avy-prone slopes.

Keep in mind this storm had some weird winds associated with it so loading is going to be a little odd. Heck, I saw some weird loading on Friday before the storm even hit.

Wish I could go Friday, I'm looking at Tuesday for Sherman. Itching to get out. If you go, a photo of coverage from the summit and down is always appreciated (and be safe).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Thank you Terry, Mike.