Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Pikes via the crags on a weekday

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Pikes via the crags on a weekday

Postby metalmountain » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:15 pm

If anyone else is coming down from Denver I am down to carpool. Also, sounds like 4wd might be beneficial, or at least awd drive. Not sure what everyone else's situation is vehicle wise, but I have a old 4runner I can bring if need be.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby Waggs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:24 pm

I live in the Falcon area in COS. I have butt space for one to car pool to the car pool. The Falcon Walmart would be an ideal meet point.

PM me if interested.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby nkan02 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 pm

I will be driving from Denver (South) as well. Likely to have one more person with me. Will be interested to carpool to get to TH, as my 4x4 is being repaired at the moment.
It has frequently been noticed that all mountains appear doomed to pass through the three stages: An inaccessible peak - The most difficult ascent in the Alps - An easy day for a lady. Albert Frederick Mummery, My Climbs in the Alps and Caucasus

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:16 pm

dave philipps wrote:OK. Monday it is. I recommend meeting at the Colorado Springs Safeway at 31st Street and Colorado Ave at 7:30 a.m. sharp. We can carpool from there. It is about 45 minutes to the TH.

This hike is
Elevation gain: 4,300 feet
RT Length: 13.25 miles

And almost all of the miles are above 12,000 feet. So please, if you have health issues, fitness concerns, altitude concerns, or are afraid you will not be able to hike at a steady pace the whole time, do not come on this trip. That being said, I also think it will be fun and beautiful.

Waiting on a TR from dancesatmoonrise, but we will likely need snowshoes for the first few miles.

I've never put together a 14ers.com trip before, any other standard advice I'm forgetting?

Dave, great job; No, I don't think there's anything you're forgetting, IMHO. Conditions have changed in the past week, but I needed snowshoes all the way across Devil's Playground to the toll road. I actually dropped them at the start of the DP road, and realized the mistake and went back and got them, using them till the toll road.

Hope the TR is useful. Best of luck; let us know how it goes!

Take care,

Jim

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9624&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Postby hollamby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:01 pm

hunterwf wrote:I should be able to attend as well. Is 730am an early enough meeting time in the Springs? I am a bit of an early bird though. :D

Personally I don't think that it is early enough. It is going to take 8-10 hours is my guess at a good pace, why waste morning daylight?

If anyone is interest in bumping the time up a bit, I'd like to tag along.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby waller19 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 pm

hollamby wrote:Personally I don't think that it is early enough. It is going to take 8-10 hours is my guess at a good pace, why waste morning daylight?

If anyone is interest in bumping the time up a bit, I'd like to tag along.

Ryan

I, too, think that's kind of late. add the time it takes to get cars/gear sorted on 31st & again add time to get going @ the TH (in addition to driving there, obv).. With sunrise getting earlier & earlier I dont think we should be burning daylight on a 13+mi RT climb. thoughts?

Postby hollamby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Jim moves a good pace and it took him 9 hours. Now he busted out a trail which is nice. Like I said I think 8-10 hours depending on conditions is still a quick pace for the winter. Dave, I know your quick, unless the others know you (I don't, I see you ran the Barr trail in 3hrs), give them a heads up on your time schedule.

Just important that those of you heading out know you will be coming out in the dark (especially several of you with less winter climbing experience), unless you are all runners. Gather at 7:30, 10 minutes to toss everything in, 45 minute drive, another 15-20 minutes once the group is ready, start hiking...9ish (I really have never heard of someone starting a winter 14 mile hike at 9am). What about Craig's TH at 7ish? But seriously I not trying to step in and change anything you guys have planned. So if you have a 7:30 leave-the-Springs-time for a specific reason, cool.

If that time stays and I end up heading up, several people who want to get a early start, we can set something up. Again, just suggestions, not being a dick :mrgreen: .

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby Waggs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 am

hollamby wrote:Craig's TH at 7ish?

Ryan

I like this thought.

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach

Postby waller19 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 am

hollamby wrote: What about Craig's TH at 7ish?

Ryan

I'd be good to plan on getting to Crag's TH by 7 as I know I am not the fastest hiker.. Could we still meet and carpool from Safeway on 31st street? dave- I'm not trying t bail on your plans but in reality I KNOW i need an earlier start..

Postby d_baker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:10 am

hollamby wrote: people who want to get a early start, we can set something up.
Ryan

Ryan, I'm interested and I would go early with you. I'll send you a pm.

-Darin

Postby dave philipps » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:15 am

I"m totally down for Crags at 7. I'm a big trail runner, and I guess I was basing it on my time. But I understand that is not the same as group time.
So. If you want to carpool from West Side Safeway. Let's meet at six. That will give us time to get to crags by 7.

PM me if you want to carpool from Safeway.

Postby d_baker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 am

dave philipps wrote:I"m totally down for Crags at 7. I'm a big trail runner, and I guess I was basing it on my time. But I understand that is not the same as group time.
So. If you want to carpool from West Side Safeway. Let's meet at six. That will give us time to get to crags by 7.

PM me if you want to carpool from Safeway.

I'll be at Safeway at 6am, and I'm interested in carpooling. My one passenger Ford ranger is not the ideal carpooling vehicle.

-Darin

PreviousNext