Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Evans winter 14er attempt

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Evans winter 14er attempt

Postby globreal » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Well Steve,

With hollamby and lostsheep5, you've got some really fit, strong young bucks to help you on your adventure. I think you'll be successful. Especially after seeing you just did 26 miles RT on Pikes!

Wish I wasn't suffering from this crappy cold. I'd love to join you all. But so is life.....

I wish you all the best.
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby Boggy B » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Steve,

Froshaug alerted me to this. I'm very interested if you decide to approach from Deer Creek (thinking to nab "Epaulie" and Rosalie on the return). It's been awhile and it would be a pleasure to hike with you again!

--michael

Postby aconcagua08 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 am

Steve,

Wish I could join you on your finisher, but unfortunately I will be out of town this weekend. Congrats on an amazing achievement! =D> Is the Grid next? :shock:

John
"The weak wait for opportunities-The strong make them." - Bazooka Joe

Postby sgladbach » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:31 pm

So here is the final word (thanks to zoomie83 and summit lounger for their help.)

The road is plowed to a point almost exactly 5 miles below Guanella Pass. This is mile 6.8 above Grant (Bruno Gulch Road) and the elevation is 9720'. That makes the RT distance 18 miles (10 miles on road) and 4500' gain.

Thanks for the alternate suggestions. The RT elevation is about the same from Echo Lake. The RT distance is a little longer, but I think the extra two miles may be mostly a wash. I anticipate more hard-pack on the west side of the mountain.

Temps in mid 20s, but HIGH winds anticipated.

My biggest concern is my little brother and my good friend from Grand Junction. They would really like to climb, go to dinner at HOG HEAVEN BBQ (bring your own beer) and be back on the road by 7PM. We are staying at a Fairplay motel. (I can switch the reservation if anyone needs a bed.) In light of the extra distance, we have decided to start earlier. We are leaving Fairplay at 4:15AM and anticipate hitting Grant at 4:50AM the starting up the trail at 5:15AM. If you plan to meet in Grant at 4:50AM time range, let me know. Otherwise, we’ll see you on the road.

I know this is much earlier than most of you want, but we'll not be too fast, so I'm certain late starters will catch up. I anticipate the pass at 8AM and the summit around 11:30.

I plan to carry a radio set to Channel 7 , sub-channel 7. Also, I’ll carry my cell and will probably turn it on for about 15 minutes on the odd hours. PM if you want the #.

Two brass-balled studs intend to climb the Sawtooth and others are skiing.

Boggy B. A loop which would bring us back via the Lake fork of Scott Gomer (as suggested above by tmathews) would take you within 1/2 mile of Rosalie. I think it would make a good ski descent too. You could reach the road within 1/2 mile of your car.

To all who come along or catch up, thanks for sharing. Do your own thing. To those who can’t come along, thanks for the thoughts!

Steve
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I’ll be interested in how it goes. Stay safe.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Boggy B » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Sounds good Steve. I will take a look tonight and decide. If you see a white FJ at the trailhead, wake me up. 8)

Postby hollamby » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:36 pm

See ya bright and early Steve.
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Cancelleing!

Postby sgladbach » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:15 am

Sorry everybody, but I've decided NOT to go for Evans tomorrow, Things just point to a far too uncomfotable day. First, the low road closure (which everyone so generously offered to help overcome) and now unreasonably high winds:

"Sunday: Areas of blowing snow before 11am. Sunny, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -8. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 36 and 41 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. "

Since this route calls for many hours of travel above timberline, those winds do not bode well for a good trip.

I'm sorry to cancel on you so late, but I think it best for a group. I'll yry again here soon.

"
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Postby d_baker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 am

Steve, now I don't feel so bad about backing out! I'm still a sissy, but, you know...;)
Hopefully I'll be able to make the next attempt.

-Darin

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 am

d_baker wrote:Steve, now I don't feel so bad about backing out! I'm still a sissy, but, you know...;)
Hopefully I'll be able to make the next attempt.

-Darin

Ditto.

Wise choice, in my opinion. We'll get a nicer weekend soon enough. Thanks for keeping everyone posted.

Postby Gueza » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:21 am

Steve, some other weekend for sure.

Anybody still interested in a climb somewhere?

The wind is MUCH better in the Sawatch and slightly better in the Tenmile.
For Example...

Mt Princeton Sunday:
Sunny, with a high near 38. Breezy, with a west wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.

Mt. Bross Sunday:
Areas of blowing snow before 11am. Sunny, with a high near 33. Wind chill values as low as -7. Windy, with a west northwest wind between 29 and 31 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph.

Here is what CAIC SAYS:
Overnight temperatures were much more palatable than the previous week. Winds have slowed some but remain from the northwest. Today temperatures will continue to rise though winds will make them feel chillier above tree line. Wet loose avalanches may creep into the picture on solar aspects at the lower elevations. Winds are forming hard slabs on the surface which will be the number one avalanche concern.
Overnight temperatures were much more palatable than the previous week. Winds have slowed some but remain from the northwest. Today temperatures will continue to rise though winds will make them feel chillier above tree line. Wet loose avalanches may creep into the picture on solar aspects at the lower elevations. Winds are forming hard slabs on the surface which will be the number one avalanche concern.</p>
Avalanche Danger

The avalanche danger for the Sawatch zone is CONSIDERABLE (Level 3) on NE-SE-S aspects near and above treeline. Elsewhere, the danger is MODERATE (Level 2).

http://avalanche.state.co.us/pub_bc_avo.php?zone_id=3

I still want to give something a stab this Sunday,

~Eric
Look at every setback, failure, and time you feel down in your life as a temporary, fixable condition. That is how you never give up and keep moving onwards.

"Never Stop" - AJS

"Be kind, Take care of yourself, and Work Hard" -Steve Gladbach

https://www.youtube.com/user/14erskier

Postby Boggy B » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Good call Steve. Winds were much worse than forecast today. 60+ constant in places. Hands completely numb after a few seconds of exposure. Not most people's idea of fun. :?

PreviousNext