Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Night Hike Wed Feb 2?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Denver Night Hike Wed Feb 2?

Postby Scott P » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 am

I'll be in Denver all next week and hope to get at least one night hike in. Wednesday looks like the best weather day (but still chilly), but Monday or Tuesday nights would work as well.

Is anyone interested in joining? I may just do Green Mountain since the trail is so easy to find in the dark.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Denver Night Hike Wed Feb 2?

Postby tlerunner » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Green Mountain in Lakewood? What are the details? I drive right by it on my way home from work.

Postby Scott P » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:08 pm

What are the details?

No real details other than climbing it after work.

I should be out about 4:30 PM, but I would have to come from Commerce City. I wonder how bad rush hour would be? Sometimes it's been bad and sometimes not.

It might be best to wait until after dinner to avoid rush hour, but climbing it not long after work would be fine too.

Postby tlerunner » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I can meet you at any of the trailheads. I saw your post on summit post too and Morrison would also be fine with me.

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 am

Scott P wrote:
What are the details?

No real details other than climbing it after work.

I should be out about 4:30 PM, but I would have to come from Commerce City. I wonder how bad rush hour would be? Sometimes it's been bad and sometimes not.

It might be best to wait until after dinner to avoid rush hour, but climbing it not long after work would be fine too.

I live in Arvada... If you drive in from Commerce City on I-76 westbound the traffic usually isn't too bad for rush hour (nothing like I-25). Usually you'll move fine through the I-76/I-70 interchange, but traffic sometimes starts to back up near the Kipling exit on I-70. Once again, this traffic isn't usually as bad as the I-25 corridor, or other Denver-area traffic hotspots.

Unfortunately I have to work on Wednesday night, otherwise I'd gladly join you on Green Mountain. That hike is only about a 10 minute drive from my place, and I usually try to hike the hill at least once each week. If you guys end up moving your plans to Thursday or Friday I'll be free... but don't change things on my account! Anyway, have fun :)

Postby peter303 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 am

Most extreme forecasts are -15F for early Wednesday morning at Denver altitude.

Postby Scott P » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I saw your post on summit post too and Morrison would also be fine with me.

That one would work for me too if anyone was interested. The only reason I suggested Green Mountain is because I thought the route would be easy to find in the dark with possible fresh snow on the ground (I've done it in the dark before; Morrison I've only done in the day, but it's a bit steeper).

Most extreme forecasts are -15F for early Wednesday morning at Denver altitude.

This is true. The reason I chose Wednesday night is because the weather is supposed to be better than on Monday and Tuesday (I'll be headed home Thursday night):

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Denver&state=CO&site=BOU&textField1=39.768&textField2=-104.873&e=1

It's still warmer than at home (Craig) and we still make our kids walk to school everyday (and they still climb mountains year round) : :D

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Craig&state=CO&site=GJT&textField1=40.52&textField2=-107.55&e=1

It will be slightly chilly, but the forecast looks pretty good with temps at least into the single digits in Denver Wednesday evening.

Postby MichiganBrian » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:34 pm

I'd definitely be interested, if it doesn't snow as much as the forecast calls. I haven't gotten snowshoes since getting out here a few weeks ago, so if it dumps bad like they're forecasting I'd be out.

Keep me in the loop.

Postby Scott P » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:36 pm

If anyone is still interested, feel free to give me a call at 970-846-2419.

If not, I might just try the excersise room in the hotel.

Postby tlerunner » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Home with a sick kid, sorry.

Postby coloradokevin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:38 am

Scott P wrote:If anyone is still interested, feel free to give me a call at 970-846-2419.

If not, I might just try the excersise room in the hotel.

Hope you found someone to hike with! I'd have joined you myself, except for the fact that I worked until 0100 hours tonight... kinda late for a hike by most people's standards.