Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat - Jan 29

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat - Jan 29

Postby tmathews » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:40 am

sevenvii wrote:Looks like you guys had an excellent day up there. If anyone has a GPX file from the track you guys did and wouldnt mind sharing I would appreciate it. Can PM or email (chris dot emick at gmail dot com).

I can email you mine after I download it.

Postby globreal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am

tmathews wrote:
laplatasummitgroupshot01.jpg

Great picture Terry! Thanks for sharing it.

There's 13 people & 2 dogs in this shot, 4-5 people standing behind the camera from another non-14ers.com group, one guy who already started down, and then 3 more who were coming up as we were leaving. Talk about a winter gathering!

I think the true thanks goes to Jim Dancesatmoonrise and benners for showing us how it's done from 2 weeks ago.

Postby ulvetano » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Thanks all for letting me join. Had a great time. Truly humbled by the speed and fitness of everyone out there! I was exhausted and echo the thankyou's for all of the trailbreakers. Here are some pics I took: https://picasaweb.google.com/CharlesMcCash/LaPlataRedemptionWith14ersComCrewPlowingTheWay#

Levi (my pup) says thanks for letting him join also! He's still tired.... :)

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 pm

globreal wrote:I think the true thanks goes to Jim Dancesatmoonrise and benners for showing us how it's done from 2 weeks ago.

No, Britt, the real heroes are you, Kiefer, and Steph, for all the work putting it together and all the trenching and route-finding to get 22 people on a tough summit in winter.

Beautiful work, all!

Postby globreal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
globreal wrote:I think the true thanks goes to Jim Dancesatmoonrise and benners for showing us how it's done from 2 weeks ago.

No, Britt, the real heroes are you, Kiefer, and Steph, for all the work putting it together and all the trenching and route-finding to get 22 people on a tough summit in winter.

Beautiful work, all!

We can't forget Unclegar who lead most of the trench work and Weschun who helped.

And to have a winter day with absolutely NO wind. That was amazing!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby globreal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 pm

ulvetano wrote:Thanks all for letting me join. Had a great time. Truly humbled by the speed and fitness of everyone out there! I was exhausted and echo the thankyou's for all of the trailbreakers. Here are some pics I took: https://picasaweb.google.com/CharlesMcCash/LaPlataRedemptionWith14ersComCrewPlowingTheWay#

Levi (my pup) says thanks for letting him join also! He's still tired.... :)

Thanks for sharing your pictures but holy cow!!! I didn't realize you triggered an avalanche!! Seeing some of your ski tracks off that north-east side of the ridge I was wondering about avy potential. So glad to see you didn't get swept down. Another reason I pray for safety before every climb!
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby tmathews » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:21 pm

sevenvii wrote:Looks like you guys had an excellent day up there. If anyone has a GPX file from the track you guys did and wouldnt mind sharing I would appreciate it. Can PM or email (chris dot emick at gmail dot com).

Here's an overview of the route. The Garmin software has some trails pre-loaded, but I've found that some aren't very accurate. We spent most of the day east of the actual trail for the standard route.

laplatawintergpsprofile01.jpg
Overview of the route
laplatawintergpsprofile01.jpg (249.53 KiB) Viewed 830 times

Postby sevenvii » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks again Terry. Got the .gpx preloaded into both Topo and Mapsource, and just making some tweeks to it now.. Hopefully we will have similar weather and can still take advantage of all the trench work you guys laid down.

Postby Ridge runner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:16 pm

It was nice to meet so many of you yesterday! Thanks to Britt for setting this up and for the Friday trail breakers (Britt, Wes, and Gary). Here are a few pictures.
Looking north:

False East LP:

With my purse, cane, and seeing-eye dog:

Looking west:

Summit lounging:

Descent:

Precipice :mrgreen: :

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:No, Britt, the real heroes are you, Kiefer, and Steph, for all the work putting it together and all the trenching and route-finding to get 22 people on a tough summit in winter.

I'd love to take credit and boost my ego, but I didn't do anything. All 22+ earned the summit.

Postby Yikes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Our winter route in red; std summer route is blue. The route through the trees is a lot steeper than it looks in the graphic.

laplata.jpg
La Plata winter
laplata.jpg (169.9 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Thanks again to everyone for a great day. Special thanks to the friday crew that built the trench, without which the day would have been a struggle (not that it didn't kick my butt even with the nice trench). I can see why this route has a low success rate in winter.

Kiefer - when you said horde, I thought you meant like 5 or 6 people. I wasn't expecting 20+. Glad so many people could take advantage of the beautiful day.

Ben/Jim - I don't know how you made it a couple of week ago. That snow in the trees was horrid. I only had to break for about 20min around 11500 and that minimal length was exhausting/frustrating. I admire your stamina. We didn't take the Class 4 rock rib, but I wished we did. The sugar snow on that headwall was a pain, both going up and coming down.

Sorry I didn't stick around to join the dinner crew, I had a bad headache building up and wanted to get back to Salida before it knocked me out.

Postby sevenvii » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 pm

With my purse, cane, and seeing-eye dog:

Ahh, thats Zion right? I remember him from Snowmass last memorial day, good to see him still truckin out there. :D

Postby Kiefer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:17 am

Northwest Ridge Route
the side got cut off!

Ellingwood Ridge

Many thanks to Britt, Wes and Gary for your hard work & sweat on Friday breaking trench to 12,000+. =D>
The fact that EVERYONE made the summit is quite the achievement. Especially for a winter climb!

We definitely had a good crew, eager people to take point and re-break Ben's/Jim's old trench and some
great personalities! It's amazing how contagious a positive or festive mood can be...it really enhances the trip!
...and a big thanks to Jim and Ben. Having even an old trench to follow really takes the stress off of route-finding.

PreviousNext