Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sat - Jan 29

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sat - Jan 29

Postby globreal » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm

WIclimber wrote:Hey, thanks in advance for the trench. I'm in for the Saturday group. Carpool from Denver, anyone?

Leslie, your welcome in advance. Just hope us old guys can bust trail more than 1/4 mile from the car before having to turn around. :lol:

I'm just surprised at the potential of this winter group. If everyone shows up whose been mentioned or posted as a possibility, we could have up to 15 people! Go figure.

To those who have them or can get them, please bring your beacon, shovel and probe. Yeah...I know, the avy potential looks moderate to considerable but, as the saying goes, better safe than sorry. There is some steep terrain in the trees and there is some cornice potential on ridge.

And did you see the weather forecast for the next 3 days??? :-"
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby ulvetano » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 am

I'll be driving solo from Boulder in the morning...i.e. leaving the Morrison/Dinausaur lots (if anyone wants to carpool that is) at 3am. ahhh, good times.
Looking forward to meeting such a solid crew!

Postby sevenvii » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:34 am

I think we had close to 12+ for the Elbert back on January 8th. It seems like for me, I try my normal avenues for getting partners, but in winter its that much harder. Then sit around refreshing CMC and 14ers and try to jump in on someone else's party. Perhaps thats why such the excitement for this La Plata hike.

Postby JohnP FTC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Looks like I'll be able to get out for this one, as long as you all don't mind the "hoard" growing by one more. :lol:
Been itching to climb all winter, but just haven't been able to make it happen. I'll be leaving this evening and catching a couple hours of sleep in the back of my truck at the trailhead or nearby.

Is there a different route/variation that some people are taking? Also, any interest in a quick side trip to "East La Plata"?

Look forward to climbing with all of you.

-John P.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Ridge runner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

JohnP FTC wrote:Also, any interest in a quick side trip to "East La Plata"?

John, I think the plan is to hit East La Plata as well. See you there!

Postby Kiefer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:32 pm

John, it'll be good to see you again, sir! Steph and I are leaving in 30 minutes give or take.
Absolutely great weather today near Estes (though some decent looking lenticulars were forming today over the Front Range. Makes me wonder what the storm will be like Sun-Tues.). Hopefully it won't be too windy up higher tomorrow.

I think many folks will be showing up for this one!
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby globreal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56 pm

We got a trench in to 11,100 before our 4pm turn around time. It will make a huge difference even though there's some trail left to break.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:11 pm

globreal wrote:We got a trench in to 11,100 before our 4pm turn around time. It will make a huge difference even though there's some trail left to break.

Strong work, Britt.

Be aware that on 1-13-11, the avy concerns started in the low 11's.

You've got a great team. Ben and I would add on just to socialize with such a great group of folks, but we had enough excitement two weeks ago.

Be safe, have a great time, and let us know how it goes! Great weather window!!

Jim

Postby globreal » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm

If anyone coming tomorrow misses the rest of the group, look for a trench that turns left or east at 10,200 off of the main trench that continues south up LaPlata Gulch.
You wont want to miss that left turn.

Postby globreal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 pm

I never would have believed that 22 people made the summit of LaPlata! Unprecidented weather day!
Last edited by globreal on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby tmathews » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 pm

laplatasummitgroupshot01.jpg
Group shot on La Plata's summit (1/29/11)
laplatasummitgroupshot01.jpg (240.21 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Postby sevenvii » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:36 am

Looks like you guys had an excellent day up there. If anyone has a GPX file from the track you guys did and wouldnt mind sharing I would appreciate it. Can PM or email (chris dot emick at gmail dot com).

PreviousNext