Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Music

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 pm

I am interested in trying for Little Bear on one of these dates this spring. Steve's group is going up there Memorial Day weekend but I'd like to go earlier. After reading a spring Little Bear trip report where someone was descending from up high later than they felt comfortable in rapidly softening snow conditions, I would like to start as early as possible. Carpool from Denver would be good too...

-Brian
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Re: Little Bear May 15th or 22nd

Postby Johnson » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:41 pm

I too am interested in this around this time. However, I would need to go on something like a Thursday -Saturday tour and would like to get Blanca and Elly too. Was up there last May and didn't like the slushy snow. One guy summited.... I wasn't feeling it.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby tmathews » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:43 pm

I might be interested. The hourglass is the only route that I haven't done on Little Bear yet. Hopefully, the Sangres will get enough snow to make it a decent climb that late in the Spring. Would you consider an earlier date?

Postby Brian C » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:28 pm

I also would be very interested in this. Let me know when you pick an exact date.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:07 pm

tmathews wrote:I might be interested. The hourglass is the only route that I haven't done on Little Bear yet. Hopefully, the Sangres will get enough snow to make it a decent climb that late in the Spring. Would you consider an earlier date?

Terry- I could be open to May 1st or May 8th, I'm not familiar enough with the Sangres to know what the "safest" time to attempt a snow climb of Little Bear would be. The full moon falls on May 16/17, so I was considering that the moonlight could help with a pre-dawn start.

The tragedy on this peak last year haunts me and I only want to summit in the safest conditions possible.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby tmathews » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:31 pm

B-Thom wrote:Terry- I could be open to May 1st or May 8th, I'm not familiar enough with the Sangres to know what the "safest" time to attempt a snow climb of Little Bear would be. The full moon falls on May 16/17, so I was considering that the moonlight could help with a pre-dawn start.

The tragedy on this peak last year haunts me and I only want to summit in the safest conditions possible.

Weather may be a big factor that time of year, so it's good that you're not 100% set on the dates. Keep me in mind as we get closer to that time!

Postby Jaw825 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I am very interested as well. I was planning on attempting the Blance group this spring as snow climbs. I would be free anytime from May 7th to the 18th so whatever time is safest for conditions i'm in. Keep me in the loop with details as time gets closer.
Jacob

Postby LynnKH » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:55 am

I may be interested too. Keep me updated. Thanks!

Postby KatieFinn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 am

We (my husband and I) would be interested. While we have signed up for the Memorial Day LB climb, we are considering any other weekend in May, whichever one gives us the best weather window. Keep me/us posted. Thanks!

Postby Derek » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:01 am

Color me interested. I planned on memorial day, but wouldn't mind going earlier.

--Derek
"All dolled up in gabardine..."

Postby semitrueskerm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:28 am

I'm am also interested. Keep me on the list. --jim

Postby kushrocks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Sounds awesome. If I am not storm chasing on those weekends (may is the best month) I would love to go.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Next