Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbers from Flat States

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Climbers from Flat States

Postby reinselc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

From Wisconsin, come out every year for a week of climbing. Love to have company....my wife has made me promise never to go solo in exchange for my week.

Its tough getting aclimitized in 24-36 hours after leaving home (800') so it usually is a few easy peaks followed by praying for nice weather for the 72 hours a year I have a shot at the big ones....sometimes I am lucky, sometimes, not so much, but its great fun.

This site is so helpful for getting the planning done.

If you even need a partner for anything hard let me know.

Chris

Postby MtHurd » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:13 pm

Lived in Texas my entire life. Been getting out to Colorado 2-4 times a year almost every year. It took me 30 years to finally knock off the 14ers. I could have done it in less time, but there were some other peaks around Colorado and around the country that are fun too. 8)

14ers.com is great for us flatlanders because it is "free". You pay what you think you get out of it. If you don't use it during the year, you can choose not to donate. If you do, you can.

http://www.14ers.com/support.php

Postby highcomm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:34 pm

I'm from Massachusetts. Usually try to get to Colorado a couple of times a year. In 2011 I may opt to skip one trip to Colorado and do Mt. Rainier instead.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."

Postby HOCKEYFAN » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:22 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:
Fred North wrote:There are so many great ways to experience the beauty of the Rockies and challenge yourself I encourage people to not make 14ers their only option.

Sssshhhh... we are *really* trying to keep that a secret!

Don't listen to him folks! Stick to the 14ers... do them all in summer, fall, spring and winter, from every route possible, as a team and then solo. Ski and snowboard them. Then ski and snowboard them in every month, solo. Then do them all in rollerskates. The possibilities are endless!

The other 5,000 peaks in the state really have nothing to offer :D

ROFLMA!!! I really thought the 'rollerskates' were for natives only!!!! You crack me up, Susan!!!

Postby Fairlight » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Chicago native. Through the years I've been out to Colorado several times for vacation and touristy meanderings. Last summer was the first time that I made a solo trip out for the sole purpose of trying a 14er or two to see how I'd do. Like others have written, the altitude was a real struggle at the onset--with limited time it's so hard to not just jump in and start climbing! It was an amazing experience however and I learned quite a bit about patience, my own fitness and pushing mentally through to the goal. The variety of rock, the sharp, dark ridge lines against the sky, the damp, early morning smell of pine, golden Aspen leaves waving in the warm sunshine on the trail, there are some overwhelmingly beautiful places on the 14ers. My fav memory though was car camping up the trailhead road at 11k+ feet on Quandary, falling asleep watching a sky full of stars slowly move through the tops of the pines. Planning on driving out for more this summer.
Last edited by Fairlight on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:26 pm

I live in central Kentucky and resumed annual trips to Colorado in 1993 after a twenty year hiatus. Since then my wife and I have got in 29 summits and caught lots of trout. I try to also get to Colorado a couple of times a year to ski.
I skied in the Hoosier state last week and we had pow!! Golly, I woke up at 1,300 ft elevation and drove DOWN to 800 ft to hit the slopes :shock: We have only driven to CO one time, and that was on the day after 9/11, when every plane in the country was grounded. (at least we were able to bring our own Mt bikes on that trip)
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby Dustin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Glad to see all of my fellow flat landers on 14ers.com.

So how does everyone deal with the jump in altitude? What are your '14er rules to live by'? When I fly out, I drink some water, drink a bit more water, and then drink a lot more water. I avoid alcohol, and turn in early. Aside from that and doing training runs on inclines while breathing through a cocktail straw, I'm not sure there's much else to be done other than take it easy and recognize your limitations.

Would be pumped to head out on a hike with some other flat landers. Will post my trip details once I have them hammered out!

Postby 1203ecc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Dustin I always spend at least 4 days at 9500-10,000 (Leadville), run, bike, hike, before taking any big ones on. I think exercise at altitude, water, and good nutrition is the key, but I wont give up the refreshing adult beverages :wink: after all I have to stay hydrated (a joke).

Postby Bullwinkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:56 pm

reinselc wrote:From Wisconsin, come out every year for a week of climbing. Love to have company....my wife has made me promise never to go solo in exchange for my week.

Its tough getting acclimatized in 24-36 hours after leaving home (800') so it usually is a few easy peaks followed by praying for nice weather for the 72 hours a year I have a shot at the big ones....sometimes I am lucky, sometimes, not so much, but its great fun.

This site is so helpful for getting the planning done.

If you even need a partner for anything hard let me know.

Chris

Wow, Neenah! I spent some of my early years there before meandering around the world. My wife also prefers I hike with others but, with few climbing windows, it often doesn't work out that way. Would like to finish up the Sangres this summer if anyone has a common aspiration. Still need Lindsey, LB, Challenger/KC, and Culebra. Looking at late June/early July, then another shot around Labor Day.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby HikerCurt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:31 am

I've lived in Michigan my entire 47 years. For the last 20 years I've visited CO at least once a year and discovered RMNP and 14ers 5 years ago. I can't believe it took me so long to figure it out......

This site is invaluable to us visiters as we plan hikes/trips, not only for 14ers but for other areas I've been able to hike (Big Bend, Alaska, HI, etc.). Thanks Bill and CO natives willing to help us out and share your great state. Currently on the 5 year retirement plan, then to a home in the mountains.

Postby Tjohn67238 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm

I’m from IL. I get to visit CO for one glorious week each year. (I wish it was more often!) In addition to trying to stay in good cardiovascular shape, this has been my acclimatizing strategy - Arrive in Co Sprgs, hike a 10er on Day 2, go back to Co Sprgs, hike a 14er on Day 4 or 5, head home. This simple progression has worked for me so far. In the future, I look forward to discovering/experiencing new 10-12ers for the acclimatizing hikes just as much as when I hike the 14,000’ peak later in the week.
Last edited by Tjohn67238 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby JayB » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm also a flatlander. It's like confessing your weaknesses at an AA meeting.

In past years I had extended weekends once a month so that I got the opportunity to drive to Colorado from Omaha about 5 times per year. I also did some winter trips using these extended weekends for skiing in Colorado. I have a very understanding wife and I go solo about half the time. Now that that I have switched jobs, I don't the time luxury that I once had. I tried to replicate the number of trips into some weekends in 2010, but I found out that if something went amiss (weather or just not having the energy) that my one opportunity day was done for that trip and I would head home without another notch on the belt.

Coming up for 2011 I'm going to change my strategy to less trips with more time devoted to each trip. I look forward to attempting the Crestones and other Sangre 14ers during a warm month trip this year.

PreviousNext