Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climbers from Flat States

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Climbers from Flat States

Postby Dustin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:00 pm

How many of the 14er regulars are from out of state? For those of you with more than a couple states between you and the 14ers, how often do you make it out? Do you make a week of it, or a weekend?

I ask because I am from the midwest and living in Indiana these days. I've made it out to Colorado 3 times in the past year, but only went climbing on two of the trips. When I do make it out, I try to pack in as much as I can. As an example, I did the four 14ers that I have under my belt over a 4-day weekend. On a second trip, I squeezed in some ice climbing (Jewel Lake area), rock climbing, and back country hiking/snow shoeing in about a week.

I'm planning a couple trips, one in April/May, and one later in the summer. Are there any folks from the flat states that would like to hike some 14ers?

Dustin

Re: Climbers from Flat States

Postby skon » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I am from Illinois and I make the trip to Co. at least two times a year it is my favorite place to be.I always drive, I don't care if I am there for one day or two weeks as long as I am climbing, longest trip in Co. was 10 days the shortest was 2 days and one night.

Postby bblack99 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:53 pm

I wish I could make more regular short trips to Colorado from KC. It's a simple 90-minute flight, but I've never even done a 3-day weekend, let alone a normal 2-day. All of my trips to hike anything over 12k' have been 4 days or more to get acclimated. I really like taking a full week off, flying in very early Saturday morning and driving from Denver up to Loveland Pass or the Evans area to get up something small, go a little bigger on Sunday, then go for a few high peaks with a rest or weather day thrown in.

It doesn't help matters any that my rental cars are always the smallest, cheapest pieces of crap I can find. That severely limits the trailheads I can access, so I took my truck and made the 10-hour drive last summer. Definitely makes the "rough 2wd" or "easy 4wd" roads a lot less sketchy.

Postby gaiaman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm also from Indiana, but as a teacher I have several breaks during the year plus summers, when I usually spend at least 3 weeks in the mountains. The trails of southern Indiana and climbing at Red River Gorge can only hold a man over for so long...

Postby IAmtnclimber » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I'm from Iowa, usually make the trip to Colorado at least once per year, sometimes twice. I usually try to spend 8-10 days out there. Going to try to hit 6 summits in a week this next trip. Let me know if you can't find a hiking partner sometime, I am always interested if I can get away from work.

Postby Markwise » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm from Illinois originally, now Michigan.

Been out there once a year for almost 20 years now. On an occasional special year (like this year and last) I sneak in a 2nd trip to do some winter activities.

We usually spend a week and a half our there in the late summer. Half the time is on the 14ers and the other half is doing things with the kids. Used to get 1-2 peaks a summer. Last summer we hit 7. After having hiked my first in 1991 I'm hoping to finally hit #54 in the next few years. Wish there was time to make 3 or 4 trips but that's just wishful thinking.

Mark

Postby Ridge runner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Former Hoosier by birth, Boilermaker by the grace of God (watching the basketball game right now :D ). When I lived in Indiana, I made it out to CO about twice a year; once to snowshoe and ski, the other to hike and camp. My love for Colorado greatly increased after doing the Four Pass Loop. When I was looking at going back to school, those in CO were high on my list. (I was very fortunate to find out CSU had the program that I wanted.)

I’d say to get the most out of your visits out here, look at doing stuff in the San Juan’s (Chicago Basin, Ruby Basin, Cimarron Range), Indian Peaks Wilderness/RMNP (Lone Eagle, Glacier Gorge, Elk Tooth), and the Elk Range. Not only are the climbs amazing, but also the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful places in the state, IMO.

Postby 2giqs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:31 am

Am a lifelong east coast resident with the following Colo chron:

'68 first visit, road trip from Ft Riley

'76 first summit, Flattop, RMNP

'87 married in Grand Junction

'99 first 14er

'04 to '11 annual week long visit to climb the 14ers, hope to finish this year

Postby Lucky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:06 am

Originally from Michigan, now in Illinois, my brother and I (& niece & sometimes others) go out once a summer for a week. We've summitted 11 14ers In 4 years of doing this but the initial altitude sickness is always tough. We look forward to it all year long and couldn't possibly prepare adequately without this fantastic web site

Postby Fred North » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 am

I live in an Indiana suburb of Louisville, KY. (450' altitude and I use that term very loosely) and am a one time Coloradoan. We visit once a year now and usually hike one 14er. Our grown kids join us with several of their friends. Some can handle the altitude, some can't. They've learned that it's not just about 14er's and will now hike peaks like Twin Sisters, Mt. Lady Washington and Hallets Peak. Challenging, great views and no altitude sickness for those who have experienced that discomfort on their 14er attempts. There are so many great ways to experience the beauty of the Rockies and challenge yourself I encourage people to not make 14ers their only option.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 am

Fred North wrote:There are so many great ways to experience the beauty of the Rockies and challenge yourself I encourage people to not make 14ers their only option.

Sssshhhh... we are *really* trying to keep that a secret!

Don't listen to him folks! Stick to the 14ers... do them all in summer, fall, spring and winter, from every route possible, as a team and then solo. Ski and snowboard them. Then ski and snowboard them in every month, solo. Then do them all in rollerskates. The possibilities are endless!

The other 5,000 peaks in the state really have nothing to offer :D

Postby pudgy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:39 am

i've been vacationing in colorado since the late '90's...i get out there at least twice a summer....in 2006 i 'discovered' the 14er 'thing'....i now plan my trips around 'them'...i'm 8+ hours to denver from kc metro ...(8:15 to junc. of I-70 and I-25)....
biggest positive??
the thought of facing those mountains every summer keeps me motivated to stay in shape year 'round....
biggest negative??
the natives will tell you we flatlanders have a tendency to make that 'one' huge mistake out there...we'll keep going when we should turn around and go back down because of either physical related symptoms or the weather......we take too many chances up there because we get access only once or twice a year....just a thought... ](*,) ...
have fun...but be careful out there...

Next