Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

OKC Climb

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

OKC Climb

Postby somethingrandom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Ok, it may sound odd.....

I am headed to Oklahoma City next week for 15 weeks or so.

That said I am looking for one of a couple things...

First, I cant find s.hit on hiking there. Yeah, I know it is really a flat state!

Second, anyone happen to be there and want to meet a climbing partner? It looks like they have a decent indoor climbing gym in a grain silo on the West side of the city...

I know this may not be the best place to ask either of these questions since I am more likely to find a virgin on prom night in Gunnison than I am a climbing partner in OKC on a 14er site but thats what I am up for haha....
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.

Re: OKC Climb

Postby tmathews » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Send Shawnee Bob a message. He lives in the area and might be able to give you some info.

Postby mtgirl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Send forum member Alan Ellis a PM - he also lives in the area.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby kansas » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:20 pm

somethingrandom wrote:First, I cant find s.hit on hiking there. Yeah, I know it is really a flat state!

Summitpost is your friend...
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&country_1=&state_province_1=Oklahoma
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby emcee smith » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 am

I asked a very similar question to Shawnee Bob a few weeks ago; he mentioned Mt. Mitchell and the Crab Eyes. If you search for those, you will see his write ups and some interesting scrambling.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby MtHurd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:03 am

There are plenty of climbers in Oklahoma. One of the best climbing areas in the Midwest is near Altus, OK called Quartz (2 hours from OKC). The Wichita Mountains are also close with tons of climbing opportunities (1.5 hours). Robber's Cave is another climbing area close by.

This site has a forum that you could post on and find a partner.

http://www.wichitamountains.org/

If you are going to be around a while, get this book.

http://www.sharpendbooks.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?p_id=00045

Most likely I'll be over there at some point in the next 16 weeks (Wichita Mountains) so just send me a PM and I'll contact you when a group of us will be up there. Alan Ellis will probably be with us as well.

There is also a climbers gathering at Quartz in the Spring. I don't know if you will still be in OKC, but there are dozens of climbers at that gathering.

If you want just hiking, the Ouachita Trail southeast of OKC is a good one.

http://www.friendsot.org/

And as far as climbing gyms go, Alan Ellis would be the best person to ask about that.

Postby ThuChad » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 am

I'll be your virgin. :-$

I live in Oklahoma City. If you're looking for rock climbing the Wichita Mountains, specifically Mount Scott, has the best outdoor climbing around. I've done lots of hiking and bouldering on Mount Scott but never rope climbed. I could go down there on a weekend sometime if you need someone familiar with the territory. I've climbed at OKC Rocks, the indoor grain silo you speak of. It's one of the largest indoor climbing gyms I've ever seen. It's the entire inside of the silo.
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/3470251.jpg&sa=X&ei=ABY3TYX3EYW2sAOtrrHCAQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHJm8XmV_7WuymVkKBUvdFIken5tg

There are a few outdoor places in Tulsa that I hear are good also but I haven't been up that way. Let me know if you need a climbing partner. I'm always up for something if it's not frickin freezing.

Edit: Apparently OKC Rocks changed its name to Rock Town Gym. http://rocktowngym.com/
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby greenhorn1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm

OKC probably will have a mild climate and will allow for plenty of hiking in the area. If you like to trail run The website tatur.org has some runs scheduled that you might be interested in - even an Underwear Run! However it says no nudity or thongs allowed [-X :)
I think somone already mentioned the Whichita Mtns from OK City to Witchita TX. Those look like fun but I'm always in too much of a hurry to my granny's house to stop and check them out.
Finally, If you're willing to travel a few hours east, there are some considerable hills in E. OK and also in N.W. AR. as well.
Choose only one master - Nature. Rembrandt

Postby MtHurd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:37 pm

And if you don't mind driving 5 hours, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas has some great climbing.

http://gohcr.com/things-to-do/rock-climbing/

Postby okiemtneer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Im a frequent climber in the wichitas when I need my fix any have climbed Mitchell, twin rocks, etc that have been mentioned. let me know if you need any route info for the area. Glad to see so many okies on here. May I suggest a gathering in the okc for socializing and aquiring new partners.

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Sounds fun although I think its hard to leave Colorado to go hiking or climbing in Oklahoma. I will for sure be out there storm chasing at some point this year. Maybe I can fit a climb in if there is any down time.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Alan Ellis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Hey guys! We're supposed to keep the Oklahoma climbing a secret! And remember: You can't find an Oklahoma climbing partner on a 14er site! :lol:
Sack up and climb.

Next