Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fort Collins Climb Night

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Fort Collins Climb Night

Postby Johnson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:01 am

Johnba wrote:
Andymcp1 wrote:This sounds like an awsome idea! I work over at Miramont and if you guys would want to come climb there im sure I could get everyone in for free a few times at least. Dosent inner strength have a 6.50 night once a week?

If your up to teach a complete newbie im down to try some climbing outside.

Andy, a question. What kind of rate would Miramon offer for a FRCC student? anything special? I'm looking to drop an rarely used 24 hour membership

john

Friday's are 1/2 price days at Inner Strength.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby JohnP FTC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:28 am

bjohnson17 wrote:Friday's are 1/2 price days at Inner Strength.

Does the half price deal on Fridays drastically increase the number of people in the gym? I'd rather not go during the busiest time of the week if I can help it, especially when I'm just starting out.

As for as a Sat or Sun at Duncan's I'd be all for that as well. Really I just want to learn and am up for anything.

-John P.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Johnson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 am

JohnP FTC wrote:
bjohnson17 wrote:Friday's are 1/2 price days at Inner Strength.

Does the half price deal on Fridays drastically increase the number of people in the gym? I'd rather not go during the busiest time of the week if I can help it, especially when I'm just starting out.

As for as a Sat or Sun at Duncan's I'd be all for that as well. Really I just want to learn and am up for anything.

-John P.

John, depending on the weather and other variables, Friday is hit or miss as to it's busyness. Was the gift certificate for time or a lesson? Mike does a nice job showing a basics if it's a lesson. I had a great time 2 years ago when I did it. I would say that based on your work schedule, Friday late afternoon isn't too different from any other "busy" night. I'd say either way it's worth the savings. They have enough walls to keep yourself occupied. Escpecially when you're developing grip strength, stamina, and form.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby JohnP FTC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 am

It is my understanding that the gift certificate that she picked up could be used for lessons, monthly membership, or any combination of services. I was thinking about perhaps getting an hour of intruction to get started, and then burn the rest on day passes. Do you think that sounds like a reasonalble plan?

Thanks,
-John P.
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. -Carl Sagan

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:04 pm

JohnP FTC wrote:It is my understanding that the gift certificate that she picked up could be used for lessons, monthly membership, or any combination of services. I was thinking about perhaps getting an hour of intruction to get started, and then burn the rest on day passes. Do you think that sounds like a reasonalble plan?

Thanks,
-John P.

While I think lessons are always great (especially considering Barry's endorsement of Inner Strengths lessons) in reality I think you could probably pick up the lessons to be learned by simply climbing with some other people. I would figure a beginner lesson would consist of simpler things like the figure-8 follow through knot, using a belay device, proper rope handling and maybe some general climbing instruction. While I'm no great climber, I'd be happy to show you all of that and you could save that money for day passes instead.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby JohnP FTC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks man, I'll take you up on that. You were thinking of heading out Friday? I'll check if thats cool on the home front. Otherwise next week or something.

Thanks again,
John

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 pm

JohnP FTC wrote:Thanks man, I'll take you up on that. You were thinking of heading out Friday? I'll check if thats cool on the home front. Otherwise next week or something.

Thanks again,
John

I think we can probably swing Friday. It seems if you get there around 4pm the place is pretty much empty except for a bunch of screaming kids. After that the kids leave and more adults start showing up to climb. I could probably do 4 or anytime later though.

That invite goes to everyone BTW. I think we should try Duncans soon too (we'll be busy this weekend but maybe next?) Johnba, are the routes at Duncan all top rope? Trad? Sport?

Miramount might be worth checking out too. I've got a Snap fitness membership which combined with a inner strength membership probably equals a miramount membership, Snap is just so close to where I live...

Postby JohnWilliams » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Wish I could join you all at Inner Strength! As for duncans ridge, I'm still planning on going Friday around 10 or 11. All the lines I've done at duncans can be top roped. A few have bolts used for TR but no sport bolts. I have done trad leads on a few routes in the 5.6-5.8 range but they are very short. This is a great spot to practice anchor building, lots of options for placements and static lines wrapped around rocks or trees.

I might be going up in the Park Saturday but if not I would love to take any willing participants up to Duncans instead.

John
-I tend to be a Longs Peak nerd. If you have questions about the Longs Peak Massif please, feel free to ask.

But at times I wondered if I had not come a long way only to find that what I really sought was something I had left behind-Tom Hornbein

And this time you gave me a mountain. A mountain I may never climb-Marty Robbins

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:03 am

We'll be at Inner Strength tonight from ~5-6:30 if anyone wants to meet up with us.

I'll wear my 14ers.com t-shirt.

Postby Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

John P.... I would encourage you to meet up with Dave and have him show you a few things. Mike is a great teacher but like Dave said, it is basic figure 8 and technique on rappel and climbing. Dave can help you with that. I took the class cuz I didn't know any climbers at the time.

Postby Andymcp1 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Johnba- I will check the rates for you for Miramont, and see what the student price is and get back to you.

Unfortunately I will not be able to join tonight at inner strength as good old work called me in. If anyone wants I will be climbing at Miramont this sunday around 1 or 2.

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Andymcp1 wrote:Johnba- I will check the rates for you for Miramont, and see what the student price is and get back to you.

Please do, I'm interested in the student rates there as well.

Cheers!

PreviousNext