Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman Saturday 1/22?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sherman Saturday 1/22?

Postby tmathews » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:10 pm

rfinegan wrote:I'm definitely interested in coming! But with all the new snow I am hesitant as to how safe the climb will be - CAIC says the area has high avalanche danger right now (http://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php). Thoughts?

Sherman's actually grouped with the Sawatch on the CAIC's map. If you click the "peaks" checkbox, you can see that they've evaluated most of the Mosquito Range (including Sherman) as being "considerable" danger at and above treeline on all aspects except NW, W, and SW and "moderate" on all aspects below treeline. Hopefully, that will improve over the next couple of days. But, if you're not comfortable with the conditions, don't push yourself. Do only what you feel safe and prepared to do.

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:08 pm

I totally agree. I would love to do a winter climb up Sherman but I was up in that area yesterday and there was a really high Avalanch danger. Probably be best to wait a few weeks before giving it a try.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm

I take a broad view of these things. Sherman is too close to the Summit County region, currently with a high avalanche warning in place, to consider safe.

Strictly my 2c. Others' opinions may differ...

Postby jagiammaria » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Unfortunately without much experience in avalanche terrain I don't think I'm going to push for this one this weekend unless the avalanche forecast clears up [-o< . I'm still going to keep an eye on things but it's not worth the risk to me. If anybody has any suggestions of other safer peaks I'd be willing to try and make it work.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:10 pm

jagiammaria wrote:Unfortunately without much experience in avalanche terrain I don't think I'm going to push for this one this weekend unless the avalanche forecast clears up [-o< . I'm still going to keep an eye on things but it's not worth the risk to me. If anybody has any suggestions of other safer peaks I'd be willing to try and make it work.

The good news is the Sangre is probably safer than the Sawatch right now.

The bad news is CAIC doesn't forecast for the Sangre.

The ugly news is the 14ers in the Sangre are mostly all pretty hard.

That may not help much, unless you want to hook up on something like Lindsey or Blanca/Ellingwood - both "reasonable" routes in winter. Humboldt is an "easier" one down there, though it's already checked off on my winter 14ers list, so I'd probably be less interested than with some of the others. But if anyone is interested in the Sangre this weekend, please feel free to post or pm. Thx.

Postby jagiammaria » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:That may not help much, unless you want to hook up on something like Lindsey or Blanca/Ellingwood - both "reasonable" routes in winter. Humboldt is an "easier" one down there, though it's already checked off on my winter 14ers list, so I'd probably be less interested than with some of the others. But if anyone is interested in the Sangre this weekend, please feel free to post or pm. Thx.

I can't even begin to explain how tempting this is, but unfortunately I don't think I can swing driving that far this weekend.

Postby tmathews » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 am

Are you guys still going to attempt this tomorrow? CAIC has a high avalanche danger rating for the east slopes in the Sawatch and Ten Mile Ranges today, which is the direction you'd be approaching Sherman from Four Mile Creek. It would be a little safer to attempt it from Iowa Gulch, but you'd have a longer drive to Leadville to get to it.

Postby jagiammaria » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am

Unfortunately the avalanche forecast went the opposite direction I was hoping it would go. So I'm not going to pursue this one any more.

Postby jeffskio » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 pm

I am up for a climb/hike this saturday or sunday. PM or call me at 248-568-0347

Jeff

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:00 pm

tmathews wrote:Are you guys still going to attempt this tomorrow? CAIC has a high avalanche danger rating for the east slopes in the Sawatch and Ten Mile Ranges today, which is the direction you'd be approaching Sherman from Four Mile Creek. It would be a little safer to attempt it from Iowa Gulch, but you'd have a longer drive to Leadville to get to it.

The following post was posted by leadvilleclimber in another thread. Not a great option.

"I keep posting on this to out of area climbers about the avy danger and nobody seems to listen... I guess I'll post again. The west face of Sherman is 100% avy terrain. You have to walk under every inch of it. It has only been covered since the last storm or 2 so is shallow and very likely to be over a deep layer of depth hoar making stability questionable at best. There is no safe way to get to a similar aspect anywhere on the route to dig a pit. When you start heading east to the Sherman/Sheridan saddle you go directly under the north couloir of Sheridan. I have seen it slide almost every month of the year. If it would slide today it would be extremely large and destructive. When I skied this last July the snow was probably 20 feet deep. I am sure that it is double or triple that now. Don't climb Sherman from Iowa Gulch unless you know someone here that has been paying attention to every inch of the snow in the area and are 100% sure that every slope from the pavement to the summit is safe. Remember, you have to park not far above Leadville and skin several miles to get to the summer TH as well. Hope this helps and that I don't sound like a complete dick with the way I said things..."
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Previous