Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sawatch - Jan 15

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Sawatch - Jan 15

Postby Papillon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:35 pm

d_baker wrote:Pap...are you looking at Yale or something else in the Sawatch?

I'm looking at Yale but am also open to suggestions. I've got a buddy who wants to do Yale but he's doing Elbert this weekend so I could easily hold off and hit Yale with him in the ensuing weeks.

What are you contemplating, Darin?

And what date is that CMC climb of Yale? I figure your team will cut the trench of all trenches and it would be a great poach. :)
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby d_baker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:53 pm

CMC climb is Feb 27 I think.

FOr this weekend, I would be interested in Massive (via fish hatchery), LaPlata (?), Antero, Columbia (E ridge), Belford & Oxford (w/overnight).

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:23 pm

A friend of mine and I are attempting Silverheels on Sunday, super-early start.

Postby Ridge runner » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Darin and Kevin, I won't know until tomorrow what my plans for this weekend will be. If Kiefer is free this weekend then we'll get out for something. But if not then I'd be up for Massive, Antero, or Belford/Oxford. Any 13ers I haven't done are also of interest (Hoosier Ridge, Parry/Bancroft group, Sniktau). I should be fine with an overnighter.

Sending you both a PM as well.

Postby tmathews » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:42 am

So, I guess it's just going to be Brian and me for Yale on Saturday. If anyone wants to join us, let me know.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:01 am

Conditions brutal on La Plata today, as far as trench and snowpack. The trench currently in drops into La Plata Gulch, goes up the Gulch a ways, then up the other side, then below treeline it died. We ended up postholing a long way. Were pretty much sure a summit wasn't going to happen. Loaded windblown pillows on the north side ridge in the upper trees - we started that way after the trench ran out and I felt the danger was too high - just then cracked out a pillow, confirming thoughts about soft slab and loading - went back around to the west aspect, a little better. Managed to get to treeline and took a fourth class line up the left side of the rocks. The alpine ridge was not as wind-scoured as usual - lots of snow. Eleven+ hour day. We got the summit near sundown. 82 is open to TH - snowpacked and icy in spots, 2wd should make it ok. Gorgeous day, came back in the light of the waxing moon.

Jim

Postby Yikes » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:34 am

tmathews wrote:So, I guess it's just going to be Brian and me for Yale on Saturday. If anyone wants to join us, let me know.

Don't forget about me. I'll be there. 8)

Postby Papillon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 am

I'll be there as well. There are two of us. I'm planning on being there by 7 AM and on the trail by 730 AM at the absolute latest.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby tmathews » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:00 am

Anyone bringing a beacon? Brian doesn't have one, so it doesn't make much sense for me to bring mine if I'm the only person who has it....

Postby Papillon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:13 am

We'll have two beacons. Looking forward to this one...

Postby Snow-Dan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:18 pm

May I join you or at least attempt to stay within sight? Always happy to help break trail if necessary and if I can maintain the pace. I usally hike solo due to late planning but have not got out much this year.

After a busy year I'm trying to get back into winter hiking shape. For reference last weekend I did Emporer Couloir on Torreys in 9hrs on a physically bad day. I have a shovel (& extra), probe, but no beacon though.

Are you planning on the standard, denny creek route? I will load the route onto my GPS.

I always head up the night before and sleep in my car (white Toyota Highlander).

Thanks,
Dan

Postby tmathews » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

Sure thing, Dan. We're starting from Denny Creek. There's probably a pretty good boot-pack up there, though, so I don't think there will be a lot of trail breaking needed. :)

PreviousNext