Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman on Thursday

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Sherman on Thursday

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:07 am

A couple people and I have talked about Sherman on Thursday 1/13, and we'd love some company!

I was thinking the South Slope (snow route), but I'm also open to the standard Southwest Ridge. And, I'm open to a 13er like White Ridge, Gemini, or Sheridan, if anyone else in the party wants to rock one too!

Assuming weather's still good, who else would like to come?

Looking forward to this!

Brad
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Re: Sherman on Thursday

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 am

With the weather shaping down and all, another class 2 makes sense.

Was just looking at GFS models - Wed/Thurs looks the best from today's perspective. Weekend could get slammed, but it's a little far away to tell yet.

Let's see how the week pans out and I might be game.

Another guy wanted to do Massive this weekend, and I was hoping for Bel/Ox or Missouri - depending on weather and snowpack - any interest on those?

Postby stillwell » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am

I am in for Sherman for sure as long as the weather holds, which it looks like it will.

Postby Mountain Ninja » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:41 pm

stillwell wrote:I am in for Sherman for sure as long as the weather holds, which it looks like it will.

Awesome!

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:With the weather shaping down and all, another class 2 makes sense.

Was just looking at GFS models - Wed/Thurs looks the best from today's perspective. Weekend could get slammed, but it's a little far away to tell yet.

Let's see how the week pans out and I might be game.

Another guy wanted to do Massive this weekend, and I was hoping for Bel/Ox or Missouri - depending on weather and snowpack - any interest on those?

As I PM'd you, Jim, I'm sticking with Sherman, but anyone else interested in those other mountains can see about connecting with Jim. I'm definitely interested in Missouri in the near future (this month or next at the latest), so if we want to plan on Sherman this Thursday and then Missouri another day, that would rock!

PM me or post if you're interested in joining us for Sherman on Thursday!

Fun with karate weapons:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Winds go from bad to worse, weekend looks blustery... I'll probably be down for something like Sherman for now.

BTW - Friday looks a tad better than Thursday on the GFS 500mb winds - though Thursday a tad better on precip. Personally, I'd take a light snow over high winds. Let's see how the models shake out. Winds on Sherman's summit ridge can be legendary, btw.

Postby srbeck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:10 pm

Brad, as you know I'm in for thursday. Which mountain is up to you, I would be happy with anything on the table.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Guys,

Not sure I'll be able to get enough done around here to get out on Thursday - but will try.

What about the Sangre? Something a little spicier maybe?

BTW - the winds only get worse from Wed right through the weekend (gfs 500mb plots.) : (

Postby Mountain Ninja » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Guys,

Not sure I'll be able to get enough done around here to get out on Thursday - but will try.

What about the Sangre? Something a little spicier maybe?

BTW - the winds only get worse from Wed right through the weekend (gfs 500mb plots.) : (

We're set on Sherman for this one, but probably more flexible for future ones. stillwell and I are set on Sherman, and it would rock to have you with us Jim, but if not, we'll work something out soon! :)

srbeck wrote:Brad, as you know I'm in for thursday. Which mountain is up to you, I would be happy with anything on the table.

Awesome Scott, I'm definitely looking forward to this, even if winds are irritating.

Anyone else interested in joining us? We might also possibly hit up a nearby 13er, if we feel up to it.

Fun with karate weapons:

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Guys, be careful, have fun, and let me know how it goes!

We'll hook up soon.

Jim

Postby Mountain Ninja » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Guys, be careful, have fun, and let me know how it goes!

We'll hook up soon.

Jim

Will do, Jim! You guys have fun on your peak, too. We'll compare pics, but I'm sure you'll win :P

Fun with karate weapons:

Postby Bean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:42 am

How'd Sherman go? Any good condition photos?
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby Mountain Ninja » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

Thanks srbeck & stillwell for an awesome trip to Sherman! Great winter summit, and as Jim posted here, the winds were definitely "legendary," but it still was a perfect hike.

Bean wrote:How'd Sherman go? Any good condition photos?

I posted a picture below. This hike was awesome, because the route is pretty much all wind-swept currently. We parked at the winter closure, about a mile below the summer Fourmile Creek TH.

Most of the time you can pick from either a thin layer of snow (ankle-deep) or rocks stickin' through. It was kinda windy on & off during the hike to the summit ridge, and on the summit ridge the winds definitely wanted to take you away, but we were dressed appropriately and it really didn't bother us.

We showshoed in about 1/2 a mile, then realized we wouldn't need them so we stashed them off the trail a bit. So no need for snowshoes. Microspikes weren't necessary, but might help in some slippery spots. We never felt like we had to put ours on. On the way down we found a couple decent glissade spots to help speed things up (and add to the FUN of the trip for SURE!), so we took care and glissaded down like 3 spots. :)

Fun with karate weapons: