Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climb with me!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Climb with me!

Postby schoch and awe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello. My name is Doug and I’m a team captain in the American Lung Association in Colorado (ALAC) Fight for Air stair climb. Last year, my team (Quadzilla) had thirty team members and we raised over $3,500.00 for ALAC. Our goal this year is forty team members and we hope to raise $3,750.00. ALAC needs our support so they can continue their fight against lung disease and asthma, and their efforts to improve our air quality.

Please join my team for this important and fun event. Register by December 15th and the registration fee is only $25. After the 15th, registration is $35. This year’s climb is Sunday, February 27th at Republic Plaza in downtown Denver.

You can visit our team page and register using the link provided. Please feel free to invite your friends and family to participate. If you’re unable to join our team, please visit our team page and consider making a tax deductible donation. Details about the Fight for Air and ALAC can also be found using this link.

http://tinyurl.com/FightforAirQuadzilla

Thank you for your support and for your generosity. If you have any questions, please contact me at 303-434-8221.
Last edited by schoch and awe on Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell, and with these in mind I say, climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Edward Whymper, Scrambles Amongst the Alps

Re: Climbers needed!

Postby MtHurd » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Sounds like a very good cause. I can't make it but I'll definitely make a donation.

Postby mikefromcraig » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 pm

I checked out the website but it was ambiguous as to what is actually involved in the race. How many times do you go up and down? How many flights of stairs are there?

Thanks

Postby schoch and awe » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:02 pm

The climb consists of 56 floors. After you enjoy the view and relax at the top of Republic Plaza you get to take the elevator down. There's a competitive wave for those who feel they can do it in under 9 minutes (the record is under 6 minutes), but it's not really a race. Everyone is timed, but just finishing is an achievement. Our team has people who finish in under 9 minutes and people who take over 30 minutes. The important thing is raising money and awareness for ALAC. It's a great event for a great cause. I guarantee you'll get a good workout. We usually go out afterwards for food and drinks.
There have been joys too great to be described in words, and there have been griefs upon which I have not dared to dwell, and with these in mind I say, climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are naught without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.

Edward Whymper, Scrambles Amongst the Alps

Postby bmullen37 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 pm

I was diagnosed with asthma 6yrs ago and it has been a bumpy road, especially as someone who participates in a lot of physical activity. Looking into it! Very interested! As team cpt, could you PM me more info b/c I want to get involved. Let me know what steps to take and what other events you participate in.
thanks!

Re: Climb with me!

Postby mikefromcraig » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:20 pm

When I hear fight for air the first thing that comes to mind is from the movie joe dirt when he says "you wanna fight? How about you stick your head up my butt and fight for air." Am I the only one?

Re: Climb with me!

Postby holttd » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:30 pm

mikefromcraig wrote:When I hear fight for air the first thing that comes to mind is from the movie joe dirt when he says "you wanna fight? How about you stick your head up my butt and fight for air." Am I the only one?

Not the only one. Definitely one of the top two comedies along with Out Cold.
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills; from whence cometh my help. -Psalm 121