Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Horn Peak in January?

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Horn Peak in January?

Postby timf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:09 am

Looking to go up Guyot in a few weeks and then spend most of my winter outings this year in the Sangres (initial thought running north to south).
Mid January, Horn Peak, camp in after about a mile or 2/1000' gain, and not afraid to do it over 2 weekdays (or a weekday and a weekend day).

4800' gain in winter is alot for me, but by then and cutting it over 2 days should be doable weather premitting.

For those immortals that can do it in a day, I'll try and have some hot tea/coffee for you as incentive when you knock on my tent.
Anyone? Anyone?

Tim

Re: Horn Peak in January?

Postby bigtrout » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I'd be interested in joining you on Horn Peak. What route do you intend on taking? The "standard route" or bushwacking up the ridge from Dry Creek? In my opinion, in winter, bushwacking up the ridge from Dry Creek will be the way to go. Horn Peak is definitely a day trip. With an early start, you can be on the summit around 11:00 a.m or so (depending on snow conditions). There's very little snow on the east side of the Sangre's right now, but who knows how that can change in a couple of weeks.
Be Nice; Take Care of Yourself; Work Hard - Stephen Gladbach's Three Rules

Postby timf » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:43 pm

I think I'd be game for either one and just making a judgement call the day of. Either ridge looks sexy to me.

Tim

Postby traderaaron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Tried to do Horn Peak last winter but failed in my attempt so I might be interested.

Postby bigtrout » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Sen (msirlja) and I also tried last year around the middle of January. We got turned back just below timberline by deep, sugary snow. I'm anxious to give it another shot this winter.

Postby bigtrout » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 pm

timf wrote:I think I'd be game for either one and just making a judgement call the day of. Either ridge looks sexy to me.

Tim

I'm already quasi-committed to the Quandary Nuber IV expedition on January 15. The weekend before or after would work great.

Postby Okie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:40 am

Does anyone have a route for Horn or a GPX file? A friend and I are seriously thinking of this beautiful peak for December or January.

Postby timf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Okie wrote:Does anyone have a route for Horn or a GPX file? A friend and I are seriously thinking of this beautiful peak for December or January.

I think the standard route is illustrated on Summitpost.org as a JPG by Ryan Schilling.
What I believe Bigtrout is referring to is a more southern ridge. I'll check and post it and see if that helps.

Postby timf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:04 pm

timf wrote:
Okie wrote:Does anyone have a route for Horn or a GPX file? A friend and I are seriously thinking of this beautiful peak for December or January.

I think the standard route is illustrated on Summitpost.org as a JPG by Ryan Schilling.
What I believe Bigtrout is referring to is a more southern ridge. I'll check and post it and see if that helps.

Geez quoting myself, that's borderline creepy...
I believe this route is the standard and the other variation is the more easterly ridge.
http://www.summitpost.org/the-horn-peak-trail-route/146705

Postby timf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 pm

bigtrout wrote:
timf wrote:I think I'd be game for either one and just making a judgement call the day of. Either ridge looks sexy to me.

Tim

I'm already quasi-committed to the Quandary Nuber IV expedition on January 15. The weekend before or after would work great.

I'm down with later January anyway and not against weekdays as the reset button come 1/1 brings 4 weeks of paid vacation/floating holidays back to my fingertips.

Tim

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:29 pm

I would be very interested, although I'd probably try for a 1 dayer. (Which would be much more possible with multiple "feet" tromping the trail.)

I'll watch as time draws near.

--Derek
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby Okie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 pm

timf wrote:
timf wrote:

Geez quoting myself, that's borderline creepy...
I believe this route is the standard and the other variation is the more easterly ridge.
http://www.summitpost.org/the-horn-peak-trail-route/146705

THANKS!!! I appreciate you help.

Next