Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

January Quandary IV

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: January Quandary IV

Postby Alby426 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm

Glad to see people interested in what should be an interesting ascent. My suggestion is to dress in layers and have gear to have no skin exposed, in case of wind.
Snowshoes, looks like, will be a must.
This a great first winter ascent mountain, for those that haven't done this before.

We will finalize plans for carpooling as we get closer. No 4WD required.
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!

Postby BAUMGARA » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Alby426 wrote:No 4WD required.

Bummer
:lol:

Postby speth » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Me and AZchris are planning on going but... My car will be in the shop at the end of next week.... Any kind souls out there can give the two of us a ride? I will provide thank yous and high fives and even :iluvbeer: thanks :)
I'll be damned if I feel like I will ever know anything, but if we don't keep moving on that last hill, we'll never know what's on the other side.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The rain and thunder, the wind and haze are bound for better days. My life, my dream. Nothin's gonna stop me now.
[-X What are you insinuating? Do you think I'm Ranger? =; Because if you do than you are dead wrong.
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
rage-quit mountaineer wrote:I give up. Bill, just delete my account.

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Are any (many) of you planning to be on skis for this climb?

I'm going to see if I can make it for this event, and I'll probably be trying the new ski setup if I do (just switched from a Naxo to a Dynafit binding... gotta put it through its paces). I'm not really sure how windswept the upper mountain will be, so maybe someone can chime in on the viability of a ski descent before I drag that equipment up there (I can do the snowshoe thing if skis don't work out).

Anyway, I'm still not entirely sure if I can make it, depending mostly on the upcoming work week. I work strange hours, so early morning starts can sometimes be problematic. I might consider a trip up on Friday night to camp, but we'll see where things go this week.

Anyone know where can I expect to find a good camping location up there in winter, preferably within a couple hundred yards of my car (since I'd probably arrive in the dark)?

Postby JosephG » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Snowshoes weren't necessary today: solid boot pack to summit. Just stay on trail. Off trail, without snowshoes, there are ample post holing possibilities.
Of course, the imminent storm changes all that.

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:40 pm

I plan to do this as a day trip hike up and down (no skis) and have room for 1 more who would like to carpool from Denver area, PM if interested.

EDIT: got 3 carpoolers as of Tuesday 1/11 so all full for now...
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Brandon Adams » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I climbed this Friday with no problems. The trail was solid, but recent snow should make the mountain pristine for your ascent. Leave early, sunrise on the top is incredible.

Im jealous, I'd love to do it again.

Postby Alby426 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Brandon Adams wrote:I climbed this Friday with no problems. The trail was solid, but recent snow should make the mountain pristine for your ascent. Leave early, sunrise on the top is incredible.

Im jealous, I'd love to do it again.

Cool, thanks. You can go again!

Postby ChrisinAZ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm really hoping to make this trip...problem is, I do not have a ride and my normal hiking partner (speth) will not have a working vehicle for the weekend. Does anyone have room for one more in their vehicle? I'm in Ft. Collins, but can get down to Denver Friday afternoon/evening to meet up if that works better. I'll gladly chip in gas $$, and am pretty easy to get along with :)

Edit: sounds like I have a ride up--can't wait!
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Postby CDR242 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:49 am

The wife and I are planning on going up. We will drive and have lots of extra room!

Postby Alby426 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 am

I see many people interested in going. No matter what, it will be an interesting day.

So, my plan is to be at the Dino Lot (T-rex) at the Morrison exit of I-70, at 5:30 to 5:45. Trailhead by 7 AM :D

I drive a green X-terra, but unfortunately I am full (4 teenagers with me #-o ).

See you guys there.

Postby Alby426 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:37 am

I am watching the weather and it seems like it may snow. We can press on or start considering a date change. Thoughts?

PreviousNext