Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

January Quandary IV

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: January Quandary IV

Postby Alby426 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Yup, still doing this, weather permitting of course.

We are probably going to meet at the trailhead around 7 AM.

I'll be leaving from Aurora, maybe for those that would like, we can meet at the Dino Lot around 5:30- 5:45 and carpool.

Looking forward to this climb as usual.
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!

Postby Ulla » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 am

I'm still interested as well.
"You're off to great places, today is your day---your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!" ~Dr. Seuss

Postby Brian C » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 am

Might be fun to camp out as well. I'll try and come too.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Alby426 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 am

Brian C wrote:Might be fun to camp out as well. I'll try and come too.

I will probably not camp out, I have several people going with me and it's going to be unpractical.

It is a great spot for winter camping though.

Postby Rosom314 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey team, I would be totally down for this! So is anyone camping at the TH? What would you guys bring beyond hiking gear (crampons? ice axe? snowshoes? shovels just in case?)

Just out of curiosity, would any of you (experienced) folks feel crazy enough to descend the Cristo Couloir if it looked good? I have experience glissading on steep, hard snow.

Postby Alby426 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:00 am

Rosom314 wrote:Hey team, I would be totally down for this! So is anyone camping at the TH? What would you guys bring beyond hiking gear (crampons? ice axe? snowshoes? shovels just in case?)

Just out of curiosity, would any of you (experienced) folks feel crazy enough to descend the Cristo Couloir if it looked good? I have experience glissading on steep, hard snow.

For the standard route, you shouldn't need crampons. Snowshoes are almost surely necessary down lower. As far as the couloir, it may not be ready for the descent yet, make sure you get good beta.
Looking forward to seeing you there.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:50 am

I'd like to tag along for this. It would be my first winter ascent, but I believe I have all the necessary gear (will rent snowshoes, I guess), and I definitely have the necessary desire! I'd be coming from downtown Denver, would be down to carpool from here or meet at the Dino lot. Probably won't camp and drive up early that morning.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby crossfitter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I'd like to tag along for this. It would be my first winter ascent, but I believe I have all the necessary gear (will rent snowshoes, I guess), and I definitely have the necessary desire! I'd be coming from downtown Denver, would be down to carpool from here or meet at the Dino lot. Probably won't camp and drive up early that morning.

Depending on how much and how recently snow has fallen, snowshoes may not be necessary. The trail will likely be well packed down as long as it hasn't snowed in the last couple days. Microspikes or some other form of traction may be helpful, but you could probably get by with just warm water-proof boots.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Postby hatidua » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I'll give it a whirl.

Postby PeteDunnewald » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Mrs. 4Lo says I can go! \:D/
Pete

Postby lucas » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:51 pm

I'd like to join you guys. It will be my first winter 14er, but I think I have all the right gear after looking over the gear list.

I'm coming from Denver as well, and would be open to car pooling. Is a 4WD vehicle necessary to make it to the trailhead in winter? I only have a front wheel drive car.

Postby JA_son27 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:59 pm

I was thinking of maybe going, but I don't plan on bringing any snowshoes. I am assuming the trail will be bootpacked, what do you guys think?
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
Matt 25:40

PreviousNext