Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Congrats to Hollamby for finishing (in less than one year)!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Congrats to Hollamby for finishing (in less than one year)!

Postby KatieFinn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Please join us in congratulating Ryan (Hollamby) for finishing the Fourteeners! Ryan started in January if this year and finished in 314 days last Saturday on Elbert. In addition to this tremendous accomplishment in itself, he also did 3 great traverses and the Wilson Group trifecta. Awesome!

Ryan, huge congrats! It was nice to meet you along your journey.
Kate and Bob

Re: Congrats to Hollamby for finishing (in less than one year)!

Postby tmathews » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:25 pm

I thought you guys were just going for the standard route, so Jerry and I started from there, but turned around. It was a dramatic day for us!

Congrats, Ryan!

Postby altitude kamikazee » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:32 pm

Congrats on your terrific finish!! :D what route did you take?
Summiting is optional, getting down is mandatory.

"How do you eat an elephant??"
-one bite at a time

"life is a gift.......dont waste it."

Postby unclegar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Congrats! =D> I met you on the way to Capitol as we waited for our respective parties on the high route to K2. Great accomplishment and welcome to the class of 2010!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Johnson » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:50 pm

ConGRATS! =D> What a great tale.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby ngoodnight » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Congrats, Ryan. 10+ months is really pushing it, especially when you only have weekends. Nice work. It was good to get in one (well-paced) climb with you this year.

Nolan

Postby hollamby » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:35 pm

First off thanks everyone. It was great climbing and hiking Colorado. It's literally change my life, if you don't believe me ask my girlfriend. I had a full time job in the summer and near full time now and have been a full time graduate student since I moved out. So its been hard finding time to climb, but managed to find it because I can't stand not being in the mountains every free weekend. I have a lot of people to thank along the way, but the number one is my lady. She always had the meals ready when I came home, helped me pack, and although annoyed at times support my climbing schedule. She climbed several with me but when I would do things like solo the wilson group with the traverse in one day, or day trip Capitol & Snowmass back to back she didn't enjoy those type of trips.

I soloed a lot of my hikes but met up with several members from here. The only climber I summited more than one peak with together, besides my lady & brother climbed several, was Nick (madeinusa). Climbed Chicago Basin, Capitol (also Brian), Bells Traverse, Pyramid, and Lindsey with him. Just a word of advice, avoid this guy. He's a character :mrgreen: . Ok fine, good guy to hike with but if you hike during the dark don't plan on him actually having a headlamp. Climbed Crestone Traverse with Sean (doggler) & Kris (crossfitter) via the Jackass Route (sorry not yet documented) and Crestone peak with Mike (emcee smith). Small group from 14ers for Little Bear. Nolan (ngoodnight) on Holy Cross. Then I had a couple friends/family that went along of several random hikes. I also met up with a lot of random people along the way, for example Terry & Jerry. To be honest now that I wrote it out I guess I hiked with more people than I thought but still did 40ish alone.

Everyone always ask my what is my favorite and I have a really hard time answering that because conditions change the hike so much. But during this first round of the 14ers I would have to say the Crestones (one day the Peak or the next day the Needle, can't decide. Just love that basin). I love winter climbing the most. The mountains seem more powerful (to me, which I love), no thunderstorms, less people, and love snowshoeing and skiing.

Happy to start over and start climbing different routes in different seasons, and starting playing with the 13ers. I really want to get into rock climbing, which hopefully will transfer to alpine roped climbing for some of the big boy peaks. So for those of you who climb throughout the winter I'm sure I will run into ya along the way.

tmathews wrote:I thought you guys were just going for the standard route, so Jerry and I started from there, but turned around. It was a dramatic day for us!

Congrats, Ryan!

Sorry! I didn't realize you were heading up still and I thought I talked about the East ridge. Again sorry about that...btw what happened to make it a dramatic day for ya?

altitude kamikazee wrote:Congrats on your terrific finish!! :D what route did you take?

Headed up the East route. Very little snow at the time but this storm is sure to change it. The wind wasn't friendly.

ngoodnight wrote:Congrats, Ryan. 10+ months is really pushing it, especially when you only have weekends. Nice work. It was good to get in one (well-paced) climb with you this year.

Nolan

We need to meet up for some more hikes. I still remember doing Holy Cross that day...I had to breath then spit (because of a sinus infection), breath hack, never two good breaths lol. Somehow pulled 4 more (easy) 14ers off that afternoon after HC.

Summit shot on number 58:

Thanks again everyone!
Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary

Postby globreal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:15 am

Congrats Ryan. A truly great accomplishment to complete these in 10 months!! And as unclegar said...welcome to the Class of 2010! :D
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby emcee smith » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 am

Great work Ryan, and nice to meet you along the way.
"Chug a luggin up one side, glidin down the other, [I'm] a lover of the other side of the hill"

Postby madeinus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am

hollamby wrote: Ok fine, good guy to hike with but if you hike during the dark don't plan on him actually having a headlamp

It's all about Leaving No Trace. Congrats again

Postby zoriloco » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:24 am

Great Summit Pic. Congrats!!

Postby CRAIGO » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Congrats Ryan! What a feat! It was fun climbing Little Bear together.

Next