Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rock climbing in Boulder

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Rock climbing in Boulder

Postby Winter8000m » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 pm

I might be getting out Wed. Anyone interested in joining just shoot me a message. I'm willing to help mentor a bit. I prefer Clear Creek Canyon rather then BC though. Much better imo as far as sport.

I truly think Sport has a TON to do with trad. If you want to climb hard trad, you have got to climb hard sport imo. Sure you could just climb trad and progress but it would take alot longer! It gives you strength, endurance, crimp strength, and technique. Except for offwidth :lol: And usually a few of the harder routes out there are bolted instead of trad. Those that say sport is a waste of time are pretty wrong. Look at the top climbers out there.
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby ebnhils » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 pm

With the sun setting earlier now it may be hard to make it out on week days right now. Would not be able to leave the house most nights untill 5:45 or 6:00 I'll have to see what I can work out. Tuesdays and Thursdays my wife gets home earlier so maybe a few of us can get together then. This Tuesday is out, already have plans. Boulder or Golden/Clear Creek would work for me, Golden area would be closer and allow more time for climbing. I would be open for a weekend day or half day as well. Been in Colorado for 1 year now and have only been able to go rock climbing 2 time, not going to raise my skill level very fast like that so I would love to get a few partners in my local area. :D

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Wesley wrote:If a group gets put together for Golden I'd try to swing by after work. Sounds fun. I usually hit up CCC, N. Table Mtn, or the Flat Irons once a week in the evening. Just got back from CCC a little bit ago. Great weather for climbing.

Sounds like I'm going to need to get up to Golden for some climbing with the North Colorado Chapter! :lol:

And hoping some of you guys will be able to get down here to check out some of the cool routes. If you like 4th class, check out RRCOS - it's basically all bolted 4th class and the 5.10a's might actually have a move of 5.7 or maybe even 5.8 on them (apologies to FA party - JMHO.) If you like hard, gymnastic routes, the Garden has a few real classics - Rainbow Bridge, Anaconda, Skyline, Thor to name a few.

On a more immediate note - anyone interested in getting into the Platte this weekend for some climbing? Or anywhere, really. I'd go even go for Shelf (may be a little warm this time of year but great sport routes.)

Kris - If you take to climbing the way you put the 14ers to rest, you'll be leading 11's this winter. :lol:

Jonesin' to get out on something this weekend, pm me.

Jim

Postby Winter8000m » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Wesley wrote:On a more immediate note - anyone interested in getting into the Platte this weekend for some climbing?

There is this climbing area that has been a best kept secret. It has just been released to the climbing public in the last couple of weeks. It is THE best sport area in the front range. Yes it beets CCC, BC, Flatirons and even the dreaded N Table Mountain. It's solid Granite. You got easy 5.7-5.8's for others getting into leading. Then you got super super high quality climbing. Multi-pitch 10's and 11's. Hard slabs, overhangs, dihedrals. 100's of routes. Satisfy the climbers levels from 5.6-5.13. Freaking amazing. I've climbed all over and this place has it all as far as sport goes. Some of the 5.10 routes are soft (meaning there overgraded) But then you get to the higer grades and there freaking stoudt. And oh ya, then you got the view. It seems like your climbing above treeline.

Check out Devils Head (By Sadalia and South Platte) A guide book was just written about it called "Rampart Range Road"

Anyways, I could go on about it. It's pathetic how happy and excited I get when it comes to climbing. Especially when I catch myself drooling about a climb or route =P~
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am

First let me say I LOVE 14ers.com. For those of you who insist on misconstruing my comments about sport climbing by willfully ignoring qualifiers such as "For those of you who posted here" and "doing a lot", I think sport climbing is great, I never said don't do it. There is no necessity to do it before you climb trad, sport climbing practically did not exist just 20+ years ago. It wont teach you the art of finding a good belay spot, building anchors, route finding, growing a pair of trad balls/ovaries, etc... If anything, the discipline you should be looking at to improve your Alpine is aid climbing. Top rope a crack, climb it on gear bounce testing each piece, feedback on every placement.

As far as the flatirons being run out, some routes are, some are not, there are thousands of routes there. If you are seconding, who cares if it is run out? Your are on a top rope removing gear and learning from your leader, that is what you need to do.

Here is a video I saw linked over on MP, enjoy.
http://www.reelrocktour.com/watch/2010-finalists/top-rope-tough-guys/

BTW, rangerdrew is a quality partner.

Postby ebnhils » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:08 am

Thats a great video! :lol: I would like to try to hook up with someone next week to do some climbing.

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby Snowgirl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 am

I play frisbee with the Sender guys (of Reel Rocks fame). They're crazy... in a good way. And crazy-good climbers, of course.
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby ldperigo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:49 pm

I saw a couple of you mentioned you train at Movement. I contacted them a couple weeks ago and they said the have an "Intro to Climbing" class, which is three days (one day a week) for two hours each. Do any of you know about it or recommend any other beginner training? I'm planning on getting started with them the beginning of Oct. so I can also try my hand at climbing.

Postby sstrauss » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

If something goes down in Golden, I'm game. After work or the occasional weekend.
"He discovered that boredom and fear and anger are the reasons that one's life is so short, and with these gone from his thought, he lived a long fine life indeed." R. Bach

Postby jfox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:37 pm

I live in Black Hawk and work in downtown Golden. I've been leading trad (crag and alpine) for several years now. I'd be willing to lend some advice and mentor anyone interested in learning the ropes (no pun intended). PM me if interested.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:49 pm

No, but really...ahem...so...

...anyone actually looking for a partner to climb this weekend?

:-"

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:...anyone actually looking for a partner to climb this weekend?

If the fall gathering wasn't this weekend, then yeah.

I have a 10 punch pass to the BRC that I'm looking to use again. Since soon the only outdoor climbing may be limited to weekends. I haven't tried Movement yet, but as a couple coworkers go there, I may have to look into it.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

PreviousNext