Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rock climbing in Boulder

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Rock climbing in Boulder

Postby Monster5 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:14 pm

I'd be down for a Golden/occasional Boulder climbing group. I have sport gear/rope and climb a couple times a week at North Table, Clear Creek, or R&J but I don't have any trad experience...
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich

Postby Carl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:29 pm

If a group gets put together for Golden I'd try to swing by after work. Sounds fun. I usually hit up CCC, N. Table Mtn, or the Flat Irons once a week in the evening. Just got back from CCC a little bit ago. Great weather for climbing.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 pm

I'd be interested as well. I'm a beginner and about all I have is a harness and shoes. I've done a little gym climbing and top roping and that's all. I want to try and do Dallas and Teakettle next year so want to get comfortable enough for that. I'm in Westminster so coming up to Boulder would work for me.

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 am

For those of you who posted here, I think doing a lot of gym/toprope/sport climbing would be a dead end. Since you are obviously into being out in the mountains, trad is what you want to do. Post up on some climbing web sites, be honest about your experience and don't be intimidated about asking questions the other way, its your life on the line. You would be amazed at how many experienced climbers are willing to step up and take out a new climber.

Boulder is an amazing place to learn, there is sooooo much easy rock there, you can do 8 pitch routes without ever getting harder than 5.2.

Postby catullus » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 am

rickinco123 wrote:Boulder is an amazing place to learn, there is sooooo much easy rock there, you can do 8 pitch routes without ever getting harder than 5.2.

Shhhhhhhh don't tell them. I don't want my secret date-climbing spots to become populated.

Postby ebnhils » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 am

rickinco123 wrote:For those of you who posted here, I think doing a lot of gym/toprope/sport climbing would be a dead end. Since you are obviously into being out in the mountains, trad is what you want to do. Post up on some climbing web sites, be honest about your experience and don't be intimidated about asking questions the other way, its your life on the line. You would be amazed at how many experienced climbers are willing to step up and take out a new climber.

Boulder is an amazing place to learn, there is sooooo much easy rock there, you can do 8 pitch routes without ever getting harder than 5.2.

I would agree that trad is were I want to be but feel I need to be comfortable leading first, then start to pick up trad skills. I'm not sure what climbing sites you are talking about, I would assume summit post and mountain project? If there is other sites please let me know and I will check them out. Thanks

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby Alpine D » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:12 am

I would be interested in a Boulder/Golden group as well. I've been going off and on with my girlfriend and others up at North Table Mountain (heading up there today after work, actually!), so while I have the rope and gear to set up toprope there, I would like to learn from the more experienced also.

Also, as a gym alternative for anyone that is interested, I've been going to the Paul Derda Rec Center for some time. I haven't been recently, but last winter it was six bucks to get in, and they let you rent the harness, shoes and belay device for free. In my opinion it's a great wall, and they set new routes on it frequently. Good for those on a budget that are just getting into it!

Postby rickinco123 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:16 pm

ebnhils wrote:I would agree that trad is were I want to be but feel I need to be comfortable leading first, then start to pick up trad skills. I'm not sure what climbing sites you are talking about, I would assume summit post and mountain project? If there is other sites please let me know and I will check them out. Thanks

Eben

Check out those sites you mentioned, Mountain Project has a partner finder section. Post up there, be very honest about your experience and be patient. Good luck.

Postby Winter8000m » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm

While the Flatirons are a great place to learn, there not good for a beginner leading. (Run out) There great for following though. There are some good easy routes in Eldo at the wind ridge.

As far as trad goes, soak up the knowledge and get a mentor. Trad is not something you want to rush into. There are minor things that in the event of not doing right can kill you. Make sure the partner you choose knows what there doing.

I've seen many folks at local crags take up others that are less experienced and they don't even know how to equalize anchors or there rapping off the one bolt, not clipping in, etc.... Even worse there setting up a TR with one piece of protection :shock: yikes
http://www.daring8000dreams.wordpress.com/

Life is too short to waste away

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13)
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Postby benners » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:30 pm

rickinco123 wrote:For those of you who posted here, I think doing a lot of gym/toprope/sport climbing would be a dead end.

In my opinion gym and sport climbing are not "dead ends", but rather necessary prerequisites to trad climbing; you need to build up strength and learn basic climbing techniques before getting into trad. I'm sure rickinco's comment was geared towards getting an experienced trad partner who is willing to lead some climbs that you can follow, but I'd have to say even before doing this the first step is to just get out there and learn the basics, and gym, TR, and sport climbing is the avenue to do this safely. I've learned a lot more about rock climbing technique by leading sport routes than I have by following a leader on trad climbs. Lately I've been doing sport routes and placing gear in between bolts to get a feel for trad without taking off the training wheels. Baby steps like these are really the only way to get into leading trad in my opinion, and it all starts in the gym and on sport routes. Just my two cents.

Postby rangerdrew » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 pm

I started trad over Memorial Day with little experience in TR, gym, or sport. I can now lead 7+ and 8s. I do climb in the gym and hit sport routes as they are very beneficial for improving technique and mental capacity. Get on Mountain Project, post your goals, and be very honest about your experience level. I climbed with a few people and now have about 3 core individuals I climb with. Read everything, practice on the ground, critique placements, and start leading on easy terrain to begin with. Also find people willing to let you follow on harder routes. Last suggestion, climb alot and knowledge, comfort level, and experience will follow.

PS if you ever need a partner I'd be down. I am progressing towards mixed alpine style.
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby ulvetano » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Anyone want to climb tomorrow?? Say 5pm in Boulder Canyon? I'm dying to get out there and do some top-roping. Or leading, if I'm following. Chuck

PreviousNext