Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rock climbing in Boulder

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Rock climbing in Boulder

Postby crossfitter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:54 am

Now that I've finally got the list monkey off my back, I'm looking to expand my mountaineering skillset by getting into technical climbing. I'm planning on finally acquiring a harness and rock shoes sometime this week, and I'm on the fence about a gym membership. I have delusions of grandeur about getting into trad [eventually] but right now my plans are to try to learn sport until I can trick- er...persuade a trad mentor to take me under their wing. Until then, I'm taking whatever I can get!

Little bit about myself:

23, CU student, very comfortable on unroped class 4 and low 5. Some gym top-rope experience and familiarity with basic knots and belay. Currently own a helmet, 30m alpine twin rope, approach shoes, and locking screwgate carabiner, and will shortly add a harness, rock shoes, and belay device.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Re: Rock climbing in Boulder

Postby PKelley » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:03 am

Might I suggest adding a couple of items to your shopping list? Buy "How to Rock Climb", "Climbing Anchors", "Freedom of the Hills", and the How To Series book on Self Rescue. Also buy about 6 feet of small nylon cord so that you can practice several different knots. Have fun, be safe.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

Postby crossfitter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:08 am

PKelley wrote:Might I suggest adding a couple of items to your shopping list? Buy "How to Rock Climb", "Climbing Anchors", "Freedom of the Hills", and the How To Series book on Self Rescue. Also buy about 6 feet of small nylon cord so that you can practice several different knots. Have fun, be safe.

Oh yes, I also have (and read) FoTH and have a couple lengths of cord I've been using as prussik loops. Great suggestions on the other books though, I'll check those out.
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers

Postby Snowgirl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:56 pm

I'd be more than happy to gain another climbing partner, I've got a membership at Movement and a good amount of experience in both lead and top-roping. I'm trying to build strength and confidence right now, and I'm no trad expert by any means, but it's a fun gym with a lot of challenging routes and good for just getting out there, so to speak. I, too, am hoping for that elusive trad mentor :D
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby bergsteigen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Maybe we should start a Boulder chapter of the afternoon climbers club like Colorado Springs has. I know I need practice and to up my skills.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby crossfitter » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:24 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Maybe we should start a Boulder chapter of the afternoon climbers club like Colorado Springs has. I know I need practice and to up my skills.

Yes please!

Postby areed20 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:36 pm

bergsteigen wrote:Maybe we should start a Boulder chapter of the afternoon climbers club like Colorado Springs has. I know I need practice and to up my skills.

+1

I'm beginning to get into technical climbing as well and it would be nice to go with some people who are experienced.

Postby whit12 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm no pro but I do climb a lot. If anyone is ever interested in going to Clear Creek Canyon (Golden) the boyfriend and I are always looking for more people to climb.

Postby Snowgirl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:46 pm

A boulder/golden climbing group would be a lot of fun. I could rustle up gear to contribute, for sure. :D
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby ebnhils » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:05 pm

I would also be interested in a climbing goup in this area, I'm in Arvada. I was thinking of suggesting this a week ago after reading about how other 14ers members are getting together in the Springs area. I have taken the beginners and anchors courses as well as read the above mentioned books, still need to get the self rescue book. I have been toproping a few times but would love to get more experience. Have some gear including a rope that I could bring along. Been looking for some people to rock climb with since I move here a year ago. :D

Eben
life is motion, get busy living or get busy dying

Postby RestlessLegSyndrome » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:13 pm

I'd be interested in finding some new partners also. I'm also a somewhat beginner, but have a rope and draws if needed.

Postby Muhlenberg Hiker » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Boulder is a mecca for rock climbing. People have changed their lives by dropping whatever they were doing and moving to Boulder to rock climb.

Not a bad place for mountaineering and hiking, did I mention biking.........etc.

Go for it.

Preston in western KY........We get out there every other year for a month or so.

Next