Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Springs Climbers Afternoon Social Club

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: Springs Climbers Afternoon Social Club

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks, Matt. Yeah, that's a pretty popular route and I was a little bummed that it wasn't available till last light.

As the days get shorter, we'll probably need to rethink the 5:30 Wednesday after-work thing. We could start earlier for the folks that could make it. I'm surprised we had a dozen people last week and nearly that this time - I would think a few could come out by 4:00? Then there's always weekends.

Some folks talking about Shelf this weekend.

I like your idea of doing more multipitch routes. If the weather cooperates maybe Turkey or something in the Platte would be fun this weekend. Like you, my interests have been leaning more toward alpine 5th class, so more multipitch time is a fine idea, and Fall is a great time of year.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Garden of the Gods was beautiful today....

Postby England » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 am

I do most of my climbing through the week while most people are working. Sometimes I don't have a partner, so I end up biking somewhere to boulder with my crash pad strapped to my back. Let me know if your interested Jim. I'm well versed in multi-pitch climbing, and I could also show you the wonders of granite. IMHO sandstone slab SUCKS.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 am

England wrote:I do most of my climbing through the week while most people are working. Sometimes I don't have a partner, so I end up biking somewhere to boulder with my crash pad strapped to my back. Let me know if your interested Jim. I'm well versed in multi-pitch climbing, and I could also show you the wonders of granite. IMHO sandstone slab SUCKS.

Dan, I appreciate your offer. I also know well the wonders of granite. I also know the wonders of modern out of town travel on the weekends. :shock: So I share your sentiments on both those accounts.

As to granite, I grew up on the stuff. I've actually got several projects in the South Platte - including multipitch routes. This is just to say my love for the Garden is not miopic; I've enjoyed everything from basalt to granite to sandstone climbing.

I appreciate your opinion about slab climbing - but some of the true classics in the Garden have little to do with slab climbing. For example, I"m sure you're familiar with Rainbow Bridge - A great 5.9 crack protected with hand-sized pro starts the route, up into a left-facing book, onto a tiny shrinking buttress half-way up which vanishes onto a steep wall of potholes up and left (5.10) to an airy, clean, overhanging crux (5.11a) and a finish onto a cozy treed ledge 100' off the deck. Steep, clean stuff. Or Anaconda, where the "slab" is pitched on its end - a huge 5.10 flake leading to a stiff 5.11 second pitch which is protected, in part, with aliens (at least I do - there are also fixed pins.) Most of these two routes are overhanging, so they are protected from much of the usual weather-induced exfoliation. Or Mighty Thor, what a great 5.10b with a stout move at the crux, 70' up. Or Skyline, on the East face of Kindergarten - pumpy 5.10c that can hardly be called "slab" - because there is no slab there. Perhaps I'm defending the Garden - we all have opinions. But I guess you can see I'm very happy to have this place ten minutes from home.

That said, I've thought about more multipitch climbing lately, partly to practice speed and swinging leads with a partner. So yeah, I'd be down for some weekday thin-air red-colored granite we both know about not terribly far from here.

What are some of your favorite granite routes?

Postby England » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Danceatmoonrise-
You must have me confused with someone else, I'm not Dan. However, it sounds as if you have your bases covered. Climb on.
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby jeffskio » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Jim, is the group climbing again today? when and where?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:36 pm

jeffskio wrote:Jim, is the group climbing again today? when and where?

Jeff, sorry, just got this tonight. PM or email works better for short notice.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:11 am

Looks like we'll be climbing some this weekend if anyone wants to send me a pm.

Garden tonight. A larger group at Elevenmile all weekend. Possibly some climbing closer to home on Sunday as well.

Would love to meet some of you guys from Denver and also some of the Springs climbers I haven't met yet.

Jim

Postby doggler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Looks like we'll be climbing some this weekend if anyone wants to send me a pm.

Garden tonight. A larger group at Elevenmile all weekend. Possibly some climbing closer to home on Sunday as well.

Would love to meet some of you guys from Denver and also some of the Springs climbers I haven't met yet.

Jim

No fall gathering? [-( jk

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Negative. Too far to drive. Been down there once this year and going back again in three months.

If you're around, we're at the Garden - North Gateway - Rainbow Bridge, doing a few laps. Come on down.

Postby doggler » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Negative. Too far to drive. Been down there once this year and going back again in three months.

If you're around, we're at the Garden - North Gateway - Rainbow Bridge, doing a few laps. Come on down.

Would love to...but already committed to the gathering. Enjoy!

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks, man.

We had a pretty good afternoon yesterday...

Here's "the other Sean" working on the pinkpoint of Rainbow Bridge, 5.11a. Nice Garden slab climbing. :lol:

PreviousNext