In Memoriam - TalusMonkey, you will be missed

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

Like most of this list, I never met the Talus Monkey. I always had to smile when I read his quick wit postings or saw his pictures in the purple pimp suit. At first, my initial thought was who was this guy? But as I read more of his postings, I realized that he had a deep appreciation for the mountains and a freeing spirit that brought a smile to everyone he met online or in the mountains. Rest easy my friend and my thoughts/prayers go out his family during this difficult time...
jhaas
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jhaas »

Lord o Lord. I've involved in a capital murder trial and so I've been absent from this post for a week. Just had a little break and read this heading..Sadly,Ithought it was a joke,after reading the posts I realized it's not. I can't describe the feeling I'm feeling right now.I never personaly met "the monkey" but from reading his posts and him responding to mine i feel as if he was a friend of mine. I always enjoyed his humor and his insight. I will deeply miss him and I wish I had hadthe opportunity to actually meet him.It's evident that he was a special person and will be missed by everyone who had contact with him. Would somebody pm me and tell me what happened? I don't know when this happened but if there are any details re a memorial service please let me know. Thanks
mtnrnnr
14ers: 54 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnrnnr »

I never met TalusMonkey, but this hits way to close to the heart. I shared his love for the mountains, and his dislike for the "evil white stuff." I never had the chance to meet him, but I will definitely miss his presence.
Pete
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

He always had candy, he always had a smile, he always had an opinion and he always had fast moving legs. :-) My favorite memory of TM was not on some big mountain or anything like that. He was a kind, open minded guy. I invited him for a hike one day with my sons and I at the Garden of the Gods. We had a fantastic day getting to know each other. It was fun watching him interact with my boys as I don't allow this to happen often with men. He taught them how to shoot a bow and arrow properly. He was a trooper for sure. He met my sons and my ex husband all in one day!!! I was impressed with how patient he was with us. My kids liked him quite a bit. We made some other memories for a couple of months after that. Things did end abruptly, which I regret. Our paths in life and in our ambitions were too different. I wish for once in my life I could have been the bigger person. Never take anyone for granted. This is what I have learned. R.I.P. TM. I'll miss those big brown eyes of yours.

I haven't met you USA Keller but you are in my thoughts. I wish you the best in your healing. You are surrounded by people who will give you comfort.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I added a memoriam page. It can be accessed from the home page or...

TalusMonkey, In Memoriam
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Indigomountain
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Indigomountain »

Saddness................ :(
I wish TM, his friends and family peace right now.
USAKeller, stay strong!!
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"
fleetmack
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (22)

Post by fleetmack »

We all know that next to Bill, TalusMonkey was without a doubt the most popular member of this board. His stories, trip reports, humorous pictures, attitude, and insight into trips were second to none. The funniest part of this all is .... whenever I'd run into 14ers.com people, the first thing anyone would say was, with a smile, "Have you met the TalusMonkey?" I remember three separate climbs last season alone where I randomly met other members of this board, and our discussion turned to him! At the Ed Viesturs signing, I remember talking to Aubrey and Panicneil about him. It's just strange how strong of an aura he had about him, even when he wasn't around ... people who didn't know him enjoyed talking about him!

We have lost a wonderful man today. Rest in Peace to our friend.

I propose (among the many tributes that are certain to come) a voluntary avatar tribute to the TalusMonkey for the month of May.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

I'm so sad by this news. TM was an incredible source of humor and insight. I had always hoped to climb with the guy at some point. My prayers and thoughts to his friends, family, and everyone on this sight who feels his loss.

God Bless you David!
Spam
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Spam »

This is my May Avatar...Just simply...PEACE!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs
MadTown Jon
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MadTown Jon »

Wow. I'm stunned and saddened. Like many of you, I did not have the pleasure of meeting David. But, I did have the pleasure of experiencing his amazing personality, and passion for the mountains, through this website. I have truly enjoyed all his posts and trip reports, and have learned a lot from him and his experiences. I think it's wonderful that this online family comes together like this at such a tough time.

My thoughts and prayers are also with Caroline, and all other family and friends of David. God Bless you David.

Jon in Madison, WI
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Just a few random thoughts...
When David first joined the forum he had that dopey avatar with the guy from the Male Enhancement product ad and some Czechoslovakian quote on vodka being the water of life. My thought was "who the .... is this guy!"

The picture of David personally reducing Sunlight Peak to a 13er and Keifer's comment "fly little granite and be free!"

Who the heck climbs in a pimp suit? And looks good in it?

We came so close to meeting for the first time this coming weekend to climb Boundary Peak. I'm not ashamed to say I'm crying.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

TM, if you have internet in heaven, I hope you can see just how many lives you have touched around the world be it in person or with your words... Rest in peace you will be missed by many.