Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
leafmiles
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Post by leafmiles »

he left behind a very impressive win record on the tennis courts
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to Paul Nahon's family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Deepest condolences to family and friends. May Paul rest in peace, and may his memory be a blessing forever.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

zdero1 wrote:I'm confused about the OP's intent here as the edited post is strictly to inform us of the route being closed, yet the title presents something that should be in the accidents section.
It looks like it was only the title that was edited, i.e. updated.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

My prayers and condolences to the family and friends of Paul. Comfort and healing.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Faldron
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Faldron »

My thoughts and prayers go out to Paul's family and friends. Everyone be careful out there, it's been a tough year.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

wow. way too young. my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved. sounds like a very ssmart and talented kid. such a shame
letourneau41
14ers: 50  2 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (0)

Post by letourneau41 »

RIP. Sad to hear.
Every man Dies, but not every man truly lives.
Huskerdog
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Huskerdog »

This is very sad. On Tues similar conditions....the Boulder field was icy and slick from 2 inches of snow that fell on Monday night. We turned around in the middle of the ledges area after the keyhole, when a bunch of folks that were coming down advised us to- due to trecherous snow in the trough. Longs is a beautiful yet dangerous mtn.
Go Big Red!!!
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

This is horrible news. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP Paul.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

Longs is a serious mountain, this is dreadful news. My deep condolences to family and friends.

A few years back, friends and I were on the Keyhole route on the same date, Aug 15 (I think it was 2009). Between the time we topped out and began the descent, an icy sheen covered the homestretch and narrows and there was driving ice/snow. The storm came on rapidly and we just had to pick our way through it. I had been on the Keyhole route quite a few times so I was aware of where to be extra vigilant, but it was not a fun descent. It really gave me added respect for the mountain.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Very sad and my thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this young person ... :cry: . Long's Peak is my favorite of all the 14ers, and I've climbed it many times ... even so, I never underestimate the seriousness of the endeavor.
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM