Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Post by MonGoose »

I'm saddened to hear of this news. My condolences to the young man's family and friends.
matthewbe
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewbe »

Deepest condolences to the family and friends of this young man. Very sad day.
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Prayers for his family and friends - so sad to hear.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jchapell »

Wow. Horribly sad.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Longs Peak Keyhole Route - Closed Friday?

Post by zdero1 »

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of this fallen climber. In the mountains, we're all family and we remember those who have passed with each summit we gain.

Mike
Last edited by zdero1 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

I think it would be prudent at this point to establish both a condolences thread and an analysis (speculation) thread to differentiate these comments, as this is in the Information category and not in the memorial/accident categories. I'm confused about the OP's intent here as the edited post is strictly to inform us of the route being closed, yet the title presents something that should be in the accidents section.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

zero, I think he posted when there were no details other than the route was closed.

Condolences to friends, family, and climbing partners.
Shammy
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Shammy »

Very sorry to hear this, it's been such a tough year... I wish peace to his loved ones.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

d_baker wrote:zero, I think he posted when there were no details other than the route was closed.
Baker's right.

I'm so sorry to hear about the death despite the immediate response of park personnel. Condolences to his family
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Grace & peace to family, friends, and all involved
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Post by thebeave7 »

Just saw someone post this to the 14ers.com facebook page, very sad indeed.
http://www.news-leader.com/article/2013 ... Paul-Nahon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

Seemed like a good guy. :(