KC/Challenger Accident

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: KC/Challenger Missing Person

Post by rking007 »

This is just terrible. I am so sorry for your loss and pray that you will be comforted in days to come by God's peace and rest.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjkent76 »

So very, very sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends during a time of such profound loss.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I am extremelly saddened to hear about passing of another member of this site - mcormier. I had a pleasure meeting Mike and sharing a few 14er summits with him. He joined our party on the summit of Mt. Elbert on May 25th this year and then a week later on the summit of Torreys Peak. Mike came solo from Loveland pass, hiking the difficult West Ridge route which involves a lot of elevation gain and loss - both on the ascent as well as the descent - a roundtrip of 10 miles and 5,500 ft vertical. We shared a good conversation on the summit and Mike's love for the mountains was apparent. I took a few photos of him. To the family and friends of Mike Cormier - I am very sorry for your loss.

Mike Cormier on the summit of Torreys Peak - 06.01.13

Mike Cormier on the descent from Torreys Peak, going in the direction of Loveland pass

Mike Cormier
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

Another somber reminder that the mountains we love so much can be in an instant so very unforgiving and cruel. May we all savor and appreciate every moment we have, in the mountains and below, for we never know when our time on earth shall be complete. My sincere condolences to the Cormier family, friends and acquaintances. May you all find comfort and peace.
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
toekramp
14ers: 29 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by toekramp »

Scotzman wrote:Another somber reminder that the mountains we love so much can be in an instant so very unforgiving and cruel. May we all savor and appreciate every moment we have, in the mountains and below, for we never know when our time on earth shall be complete. My sincere condolences to the Cormier family, friends and acquaintances. May you all find comfort and peace.
Thank you for articulating the words I could not.
The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
Colette
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

So sorry to see this outcome. Thought go out to Mike's family and friends to find strength through this difficult time. He died with his boots on...as honorably as any climber could ask for. There are no words that can provide comfort, but know his spirit will live on, amongst a cadre of greats in these amazing mountains.
bencormier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bencormier »

Mike on Humboldt
Mike on Humboldt
Humboldt Peak_1.jpg (322.6 KiB) Viewed 4039 times
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

bencormier wrote:
Humboldt Peak_1.jpg
Again, sorry for your loss. Pictures of those who have gone before us always make it "more real" for those of us left behind. Thanks for sharing. And may you find grace in the days ahead.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Lemmiwinks wrote:So sorry for your loss. Prayers with your family in this tough time.
John Cormier wrote:This is a huge tragedy for all of us but I think we can all take comfort in the fact that Mike died doing something he loved to do. That will get us through this.
If something were to happen to me in the mountains, I know I'd want my family to take solice in that as well. Hopefully that helps your family get through this.
I am not sure if this helps but I agree as well. May you and your family find comfort and peace during this tough time. There is not much more that I can think of to say that has not already been said but if "we" as a community can do anything further to help please reach out to us.

Rest in peace my friend :cry:
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
buckeyejes
14ers: 31 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (14)

Post by buckeyejes »

So sorry to hear about this tragedy. :( My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Alpinegoat
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpinegoat »

My deepest condolences to the Cormier family. No words can soothe the anguish being experienced. This season has been difficult for the mountaineering community.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Sorry for your loss. That is a beautiful area and such a neat mountain that he was exploring. I know when we hiked it last year it stirred some deep feelings in us. Surely, he was feeling that way too exploring such a place.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog