KC/Challenger Accident

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: KC/Challenger Missing Person

Post by Johnson »

John Cormier wrote:Hi all, this is Mike's brother John. I'm very sorry to report that Mike was found earlier today. He had fallen on his descent on Friday and did not survive. We are devastated but also incredibly grateful for all your support and prayers. We've printed this thread and given it to our mother. Your concern and comments, especially those of you who last saw Mike and reported what you knew, will be a great comfort to her and Mike's entire family and friends. It is impossible to express our feelings of appreciation to the rescuers and everyone associated with SAR who risked there own well being to find Mike. We can not thank you enough. And to the entire 14ers community, the kindness and humanity you've shown shows why Mike was so proud to be part of such a unique group. Mike's youngest son Joseph (22 yrs old) is on site and will be joined by his brother Colin shortly as well as Mike's brothers Steve and Matthew to bring Mike home.

This is a huge tragedy for all of us but I think we can all take comfort in the fact that Mike died doing something he loved to do. That will get us through this.

Thanks everyone.

John, this is not the outcome I had hoped for. My condolences to you and your family.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

My condolences to all of Mike's family and friends. I am truly sorry for your loss. May you rest in peace fellow climber. :cry:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Damn! Prayers to the family. :(
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

so sorry for this news. i can barely open these threads anymore. My deepest condolences go out to you and your family. There is nothing like losing a family member.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

So sorry for your loss. Prayers with your family in this tough time.
John Cormier wrote:This is a huge tragedy for all of us but I think we can all take comfort in the fact that Mike died doing something he loved to do. That will get us through this.
If something were to happen to me in the mountains, I know I'd want my family to take solice in that as well. Hopefully that helps your family get through this.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

Very sorry to hear that. I had the pleasure of meeting Mike and talking with him a bit about mountaineering this spring at the Shavano trailhead. He seemed like a nice guy and was very psyched to be out there climbing peaks. RIP.
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I am so sorry to hear this...RIP Mike! As much as I love hiking and climbing in Colorado, this is the one part of it all that I absolutely hate! Please be safe out there everyone...I wish Mike's family the best during this hard time...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
JenGa
14ers: 58 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

I am so sorry to hear about this - may he rest in peace and condolences to his family and friends.

-Jen
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

RIP to the fallen. Mike sounded like a great guy. These threads are never easy.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Not the outcome I was hoping to see. So sorry for your loss.
phlakin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by phlakin »

May God bless all of you during this difficult time of loss. I'm very, very sorry to read this.
The mountains one gazes at, reads about, dreams of and desires are not the mountains one climbs -- Robert Macfarlane
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

When I saw the helicoptor go over again this morning I was hopeful of a positive outcome, only to get home and read this instead. My thoughts are with the family after this terrible tragedy.