Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Post by MonGoose »

I'm very saddened to hear of another tragedy this season. Although the initial report of downclimbing the North Face is confusing, there is probably much more to the story that didn't make it into this first press release. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding this event, I wish to offer my condolences to the fellow climbers, friends and family members of this climber.
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Michael J »

So sorry to hear of such a tragedy. My condolences to the friends and family. May he rest in peace.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
MicSchlachty
14ers: 54  7  6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MicSchlachty »

Super Sad! My condolences, this has been such a tragic season...
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

May the fallen climber rest in peace. Very sad.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Damn, very sorry to hear this. Been a rough few weeks around here. My condolences to the victim's family and friends.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Wow. Tragic choice indeed. I wonder if there was some good reasons (weather, etc)? Anyways, RIP, this is sad. I made a stupid decision on Snowmass a couple years ago to come back a different way and I found myself in a very effed up spot that could have easily left me for dead. This can happen to anyone.

This year has been really bad :\
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

MonGoose wrote:I'm very saddened to hear of another tragedy this season. Although the initial report of downclimbing the North Face is confusing, there is probably much more to the story that didn't make it into this first press release. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding this event, I wish to offer my condolences to the fellow climbers, friends and family members of this climber.
+1 - Truly sorry to hear about this. Condolences to family and friends.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
dpbasing
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dpbasing »

Damn, very sorry to hear this. Been a rough few weeks around here. My condolences to the victim's family and friends+1
matthewbe
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by matthewbe »

Very sad few weeks indeed. RIP to the climber and condolences to family and friends.
Not all who wander are lost.

Matthewbe Photography
http://www.matthewbe.com
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

The climber has been identified.

Condolences to all of his partners, friends and family.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07 ... ntain?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rocky
south fork, colorado
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to Ryan's family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
jfleisher
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfleisher »

The 2nd press release from Pitkin County Sheriffs/MRA:

Press Release

For Immediate Release
Capitol Peak Incident
Pitkin County, Colorado – July 21, 2013 – Mountain Rescue Aspen volunteers and DBS Helicopter Services from Rifle, Colorado, at the request of the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office successfully recovered the body of the deceased climber on Capitol Peak. The climber has since been identified as thirty five year old Ryan Joseph Palmer of Vail, Colorado.

On Friday July 19, 2013, Mr. Palmer reportedly fell approximately 200 to 300 feet on the north face of Capitol Peak. Capitol Peak is an extremely steep and exposed 14,130 foot mountain in the West Elk Range of Colorado. At approximately 07:15 P.M. Mr. Palmer’s hiking companions, who did not know at the time that Mr. Palmer had fallen, reported to the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office that Mr. Palmer was overdue from meeting them at Capitol Lake which is located on the north side of Capitol Peak.

On Saturday July 20, 2013, Mountain Rescue Aspen deployed eleven volunteer members and with the aid of Bruce Gordon of Eco Flight from Aspen, Colorado located Palmer on the snowfield below the north face of the mountain.

Today on Sunday July 21, 2013 Mountain Rescue Aspen deployed another eleven volunteer members to facilitate the recovery of Mr. Palmer’s body. The recovery was further facilitated by DBS Helicopter Services from Rifle, Colorado in transporting Mr. Palmer’s body off of the extremely steep north face to an established landing zone approximately eight miles away. Mr. Palmer’s body was received at the landing zone by Pitkin County Deputy Coroner Michael Buglione who transported Mr. Palmer’s body to the Aspen Valley Hospital.

As of 03:30 P.M. on July 21, 2013, DBS Helicopter Services and all Mountain Rescue Aspen volunteer personnel were safely out of the field.

The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office wishes to extend its thanks to DBS Helicopter Services in Rifle, Colorado, Bruce Gordon of Eco Flight in Aspen, Colorado and all the volunteer members of Mountain Rescue Aspen for their efforts in this difficult mission.

For more information contact:
Deputy Jesse Steindler
970 920 5300
jesse.steindler@pitkinsheriff.com