Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
User avatar
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for sharing, Louis. I've had a little red "donor heart" sticker on my license as long as I can remember, and it's good to be reminded why I say "yes" every time I get a new one, and the people at the DMV ask if I would like to be an organ donor.

Terry was one of the most generous people I ever met, and even in death, his generosity continues to enrich the lives of others. What a legacy.

User avatar
Posts: 2512
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 2:59 pm
Location: Littleton, CO

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Lou, thank you for posting this. It's wonderful to hear about the actual people saved by Terry's organ donation.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

User avatar
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Moraine14 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:05 pm

Louis, that letter is amazing. Through Terry's selflessness & generosity, he truly lives on, not only through the memories of family & friends but also through the lives of strangers to whom he's given the gift of life. Peace to you and to Terry.

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Security, Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 am

Moraine14 wrote:Louis, that letter is amazing. Through Terry's selflessness & generosity, he truly lives on, not only through the memories of family & friends but also through the lives of strangers to whom he's given the gift of life. Peace to you and to Terry.


We are in the process of tying up his affairs, I recently did this for my brother, it is complicated, expensive, and time consuming. It is painful but a labor of love.
Louis W Mathews

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Security, Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I created a new email address for Terry, if you have old emails in your sent folder forwaard them to haplo14er@gmail.com I will add contacts as people send emails. Also there is now a Face book account as I promised. I will be posting many of his his photos as time permits. We can share photos and memories so everyone can relive Terry's life through the eyes of those who loved and respected him. https://www.facebook.com/terry.mathews.585
Louis W Mathews

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Security, Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:08 pm

With help from some of Terry's close friends and colleagues from 14ers he will make his final physical ascent at zero dark thirty on Monday August 19th. This p

This past month has been very difficult for our family. We share deep gratitude to all who posted words and photo's here. It helps keep us humble by Terry's life as he chose to live it. We also understand that many others are sharing a big sense of loss. Thank you all.

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Security, Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Today was extremely emotional for all involved with the climb for Terry. My wife eldest son Tom and I greeted them upon their descent. I think we all shed many tears of grief and of relief. We were in communication throughout the climb. Our appreciation has no bounds.
Louis W Mathews

User avatar
Posts: 1831
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:11 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby susanjoypaul » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 am

Lou,

We all felt very privileged to have the opportunity to honor your son, Terry, this way, and to represent so many others who wished to make the climb.

There were just nine of us in body, with Terry as our 10th, but there were many more alongside us in spirit - including you, your wife, your son, Tom, and the 14ers.com community - carrying us up the mountain, to say good-bye to our friend. Thanks to all for a very special day.

Susan

User avatar
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:43 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby javy20040 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 am

Terry,

My heart, my soul and my tears are with you now!

Some of us don't belong here, we just do our best to stay and be happy! I believe, now Terry is in a place where he belongs to!

Climbing mountains isn't something that you do, it's a part of you!
Look up at the Mountains, Terry was, is and "ALWAYS" will be there!

Cheers Terry!
You are a good man!
Rest in peace!

Lou and Terry's family, I'm deeply sorry for your lost. Terry is an awesome person. I said "is", because he'll ALWAYS be around me! He'll ALWAYS be around us!

Adios amigo, descansa en paz!
Javy
The Mountains, my passion!
The love of the mountains is in my heart, which spreads to the blood which I bleed.
The passion of climbing is in my skin, which is shed when I sweat.
Climbing mountains isn't something that you do; it's a part of you.

User avatar
Posts: 1567
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Monument, CO

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby globreal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 am

susanjoypaul wrote:Lou,

We all felt very privileged to have the opportunity to honor your son, Terry, this way, and to represent so many others who wished to make the climb.

There were just nine of us in body, with Terry as our 10th, but there were many more alongside us in spirit - including you, your wife, your son, Tom, and the 14ers.com community - carrying us up the mountain, to say good-bye to our friend. Thanks to all for a very special day.

Susan


Here is the summit photo from yesterday that Susan referred to. Yes…it was a very special day indeed….on Terry's favorite mountain.
Attachments
DSC00887_edited.jpg
9 Companions with Terry-Crestone Needle_Aug. 19, 2013
DSC00887_edited.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 778 times
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
~Psalm 46:1

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Security, Colorado

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:51 am

This photograph is priceless. I do understand and appreciate how everybody who made this journey both physically and spiritually felt privileged to go on this mission of love and respect. We will always feel that Terry has not departed, he is still with us in our hearts and minds. He is very near on a higher mountain that we all must climb someday. When you think of him remember his smile, enthusiasm, concern, and that habitual laugh when he spoke to someone he loved and respected. It is an honor and privilege to be a part of the 14ers and can in no way replace the absence of Terry posting on the site, but to share with everybody the positive aspects of Terry's life. From time to time a photo, story or recollection of Terry will be added to the Face Book page I created in his name. Feel free to post and share as well.
Louis W Mathews

User avatar
Posts: 1369
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Johnson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:23 am

globreal wrote:
susanjoypaul wrote:Lou,

We all felt very privileged to have the opportunity to honor your son, Terry, this way, and to represent so many others who wished to make the climb.

There were just nine of us in body, with Terry as our 10th, but there were many more alongside us in spirit - including you, your wife, your son, Tom, and the 14ers.com community - carrying us up the mountain, to say good-bye to our friend. Thanks to all for a very special day.

Susan


Here is the summit photo from yesterday that Susan referred to. Yes…it was a very special day indeed….on Terry's favorite mountain.



Nice work team!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest