Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bowman
14ers: 42 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by Bowman »

I read this post about a week ago, but, being out of town, I have not yet had a chance to comment.

I am deeply saddened by Terry's passing, and to those who were close to him, please accept my condolences.

I only met Terry once. A few years ago, Terry posted an open invitation on 14ers.com to hike with him to Barr Camp on Thanksgiving Day. Having had no family in the area to share the holiday with, my wife and I accepted his offer. We met for dinner in CS the night before and hiked up to Barr early on an unusually cold November morning.

We had a wonderful day with Terry, spending several hours at Barr Camp drinking hot chocolate and chatting with him. It was truly one of my favorite holiday experiences, and one that I will always remember.

Though we chatted about meeting up in the future to hike, I never pursued it, as Terry progressed to hikes and climbs beyond what I was ready to attempt. I've regretted not pursuing the opportunity to hike with Terry again.

Rest in peace, Terry.
Attachments
Terry.jpg
Terry.jpg (248.45 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Has it really just been 10 days? It feels like so much longer...the range of emotions no doubt contributing. Though I only met Terry a few times, we talked regularly. We hiked together just once - I had to really dig to find my pictures from it, but they were disappointingly few. I didn't know about his close call with a car decades ago. I didn't know about his minor(?) fall, described earlier in the thread. I remember he had a close call with a slide on steep snow, that he got under control just in time. I would have liked to reread that trip report, and others he did.

I keep remembering funny anecdotes, then forgetting them again: like how we drove all around Crestone looking for a restaurant that could promise peanut safety (eventually he had to risk it). One in particular, not funny at all, stands out. We talked about a person who was missing at that time. I remember saying "that's not going to end well", and his emotional response. The person's body was eventually found - probably a suicide (my opinion - details omitted). I have wondered if Terry made that connection, and if it had any impact on his decision. I've wondered if I'd discussed it again with him, if it could have made any difference.

I didn't talk to him much since Rob's death, but he was quite clearly not the same. After Steve's death I should have realized just how bad a shape he must have been in, but I was reassured by his emotional yet reasoned words. I feel he was just as much a victim of Rob and Steve's accidents as they were. Maybe I'm just looking for an easy answer, but that was my immediate reaction the moment I saw the thread topic show up.

From what I have read, suicide is a greater risk for those living at elevation. I do know that oxygen deprivation generates a feeling of euphoria at altitude, and I have also experienced the opposite feeling of brief depression when descending. This is neither explanation nor consolation nor lesson, unfortunately.

Terry...goodbye. You will be missed.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

I compiled photos from here and scan childhood photo's people might like, here is the link to my Windows Live Sky drive.

http://sdrv.ms/13cOm2R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy. I will post a few a day on my face book album Terry Lee Mathews http://www.facebook.com/louis.mathews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; louis.mathews@facebook.com
Louis W Mathews
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Louis, thanks for the walk through the life of a good young man. So many memories for you to look back on, so much beauty Terry got to see in his time in the mountains. Hope you and your family find some comfort in these photos and in knowing all he accomplished and how many people he left his mark on. He is truly missed. God keep you strong and we'll keep you all in our prayers.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
somethingrandom
14ers: 16 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by somethingrandom »

wildlobo71 wrote:I've been in contact with the woman who Terry gave his computer to. I don't know, right now, if this is appropriate or not but I asked her if Terry gave instructions to her or not about what to do with it, or the files on it. She said he hadn't.

I thought it might be a nice legacy for all he's done here and how he helped those with so much information to salvage his GPX and GPS files, at the very least. I know he had files for the LB/Blanca traverse I would love to have access to in case I ever wanted to do it again.

I told her I'd let her know if people thought it was a good idea. Thoughts?
Without knowing Terry's requests with his info, I really dont know. Knowing Terry, I would think he would want these shared as the mountains were when he was most free but we were not close for me to really know. I am sure Louis knows or knows the people that know, but the Terry that I did know would have interest in helping people further their mountain knowledge and hopefully we can find out his true interests. If not, I certainly respect his family's decision either way.
-Just as soon as you idiot proof something, some a**hole is just going to come along and make a better idiot.

-To Cessna: "November one, zero, four Lima Papa, wind 080 at 90 peak gusts 120, runway 35 cleared for takeoff"

To fellow controller: "Watch this sh!t"

-Whether climbing or flying, the single greatest thing to remember is that every ascent is optional, and if you feel like making another, your subsequent descent is mandatory.
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

:cry:
Louis Mathews wrote:Terry's Obituary, the time for his Celebration Of Life Gathering is 7:30 PM 27 July 2013 Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, in the old chuck wagon/amphitheater near the main parking lot, .15 mile from the entrance on 30th St across from the Visitors Center.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gazett ... =165889998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See you guys tomorrow night.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Yes...for those who want to come ....please come out Saturday evening for a little memorial gathering in Garden of the Gods.

Come to the north parking lot and then hike a short ways south.

7:30pm
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Is there anyone in the Denver area who can bump out and pick up Terry's friend Melissa in Evergreen?
I am planning to drive over Indy Pass.

Give her a call if you can help.

Melissa 720-480-2396
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It was so nice to see so many 14ers.com people - and other friends, too - at the Garden tonight, and I hope to see you all again in happier times. We have more in common than the mountains... we had Terry, and now we have each other. Death has a way of showing us the brilliance of life.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Terry's Celebration of Life Ceremony last night at Garden of the Gods park was an inspiration for all of us in the immediate Mathews family and to his extended family of friends and acquaintances. I was absolutely floored by the turnout and expressions of love and admiration for Terry. I can't say it enough how grateful we are that so many were positively affected by our son's interactions with all the wonderful people in and out of the 14ers community.

Thank you who were there for us and Terry last night both in person and in thought and spirit. I was not sure if I could make it through the Remembrances but the strength that came from the estimated 100+ who were there was amazing. I realize it got dark afterwards but that was intentional as I envision Terry climbing to the other side of the mountain at sundown. Someday we all will climb to the other side of the mountain and the reunions with friends and family members who went before us will be glorious. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Britt who I put on the spot to start off the event, you were great and I will forever be grateful.

Lou Mathews
Louis W Mathews
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Louis Mathews wrote:Terry's Celebration of Life Ceremony last night at Garden of the Gods park was an inspiration for all of us in the immediate Mathews family and to his extended family of friends and acquaintances. I was absolutely floored by the turnout and expressions of love and admiration for Terry. I can't say it enough how grateful we are that so many were positively affected by our son's interactions with all the wonderful people in and out of the 14ers community.

Thank you who were there for us and Terry last night both in person and in thought and spirit. I was not sure if I could make it through the Remembrances but the strength that came from the estimated 100+ who were there was amazing. I realize it got dark afterwards but that was intentional as I envision Terry climbing to the other side of the mountain at sundown. Someday we all will climb to the other side of the mountain and the reunions with friends and family members who went before us will be glorious. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Britt who I put on the spot to start off the event, you were great and I will forever be grateful.

Lou Mathews
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=359BBCD2 ... B0%2119610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My skydrive with Terry's photos.
Louis W Mathews
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Thank you Louis and Nancy (Tom, Ted, & other family) for allowing us to be a part of Terry's Memorial Service last night at the Garden of the Gods.

Here are some pictures from the evening.
Under the Kissing Camels
Under the Kissing Camels
DSC00311_edited.jpg (90.12 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Korean Tribute
Korean Tribute
DSC00286_edited.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
A Circle of Friends
A Circle of Friends
DSC00287_edited.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 5387 times