Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by susanjoypaul »

Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews, hiker, climber, mountaineer, friend, and a brother in the 14ers.com community.

Terry adored his 14ers family and admired so many of you on this site. He took his own life yesterday, and we will never know why. I am thankful that he is finally at peace.

Here is Terry's final blog, an open letter to Steve Gladbach. I think it says a lot about Terry, the kind of man he was and what was important to him.

We drove to Steve's memorial together, just two weeks ago. Terry was all dressed up in a suit, and carried the letter in his hand, to present to Steve's daughters. Like me, Terry was an Atheist, but it was important to him to show his respect for those he admired and so the memorial, and having that opportunity, meant a lot to him. The pastor and Steve's brothers made us feel so welcome - regardless of our beliefs - and that meant a lot, too.

Terry was one of us. He just wanted to love and to be loved. And just like all of us, he was imperfect, and we all loved him just the same, loved him even more, sometimes, because of it. He was human.

Please share your kind memories of Terry. It would mean a lot to him. He loved you all.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by TaylorHolt »

Very sad news. As you said, I hope he is now at peace.

I believe my only experience with Terry was at the 2012 Spring Gathering, which he did an exceptional job of organizing. I distinctly remember how happy/proud he was at that event to see how many people in this community turned out to share in our love for the mountains and each other.

Condolences to those in our community who knew him better than I.

Be at Peace Terry
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

So very, VERY sorry to hear this. Only met Terry once - on the Winter Welcomer a couple years back. A nice man... Damn.....
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Truly sad news. RIP Terry.
Where ever you are... There you are.
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

Sorry to hear this. Terry was a good person at heart, always there to help with information or buttress a friend.

I met him once in person, in February 2011. It was a snowy, chilly, howling windy day on Sherman. My group of four was going up, and out of the whiteout came a sole figure bounding down, not an inch of skin exposed. He said hello and introduced himself as Terry Mathews from 14ers and were we on it? Pleasantries ensued and we were on our way.

Whatever you thought of him, he was a noteworthy contributor here. RIP. To those close to him and affected by this, my condolences.

For people who struggle with issues such as thoughts of taking your own life, please know there are friends, family, and forums to whom you can reach out.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

RIP Terry.

It's hard enough reading on here about people dying doing the things they love, let alone someone who seemed so full of life who apparently felt a void. I hope he's at peace. My thoughts and prayers are with his family whom I am sure are searching for strength and answers.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Thanks for posting Susan. I hope you were able to pass along my message to Terry. I am thankful that I was able to meet him at the memorial. We talked briefly of doing Maroon with a mutual friend. Sad it won't happen. My condolences to his friends and 14er family. I know you meant a lot to him.
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

So sad to hear this... I shared one hike with Terry, down on San Luis last year. It's still the only time I've been caught in a storm as early as 9AM. The looks on all of our faces when we first heard thunder at 8:30 or so... "What the actual f**k." It was a great time, and he was a pretty awesome guy. Rest in peace, Terry.
mike_kadow
14ers: 24 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mike_kadow »

Terry was one of my first inspirations for hiking when I moved back to CO. Before he finished them, he was quite the contributor and was always responsive and very helpful to my inquiries. I looked up to Terry and he shared insights with me - a fond mentor.

He will be missed.

R.I.P.
Big Schwimm
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Big Schwimm »

So sad to hear of this news.

I recall a time I posted a question on the forum and not even 60 seconds later I already had a response from Terry! I know he cared very much about the community.

Be at peace Terry, you will be missed.
The Mountains make us all feel small . . .
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

Rest in Peace, Terry.

I never met you, but was very touched when you sent a PM a couple of weeks ago, wishing us well in the face of the West Fork Fire. Thank you for your kindness.
rocky
south fork, colorado
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

OMG, so sorry to hear this.

I too met Terry for the first time at the Spring Gathering in 2012. He did a great job and we spent quite a bit of time talking around the camp fire. After that, we'd PM'd a few times and he gave me lots of helpful information.

I am sorry that he had such issues in life that he felt this was his only option.

Thank you for posting this Susan.

Rest in Peace Terry.

- Valerie
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright