Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by schrund »

Never met him but I definitely noticed the absence of his posts. His were a bright presence amidst the lively banter on this site.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

This is another tragic loss to our mountaineer community. Terry really did enjoy finding this outdoor sport and community. He found an avenue here to loose weigh, gain new friends, and find purpose.

Lou & Nancy Mathews, I am grateful for the opportunity to have met you yesterday at the hospital. As Terry's parents, I can't imagine what you must be going through. Please accept my sincere condolences over the loss of your son.

Terry did have a desire to help others. One example of that, was that he had listed on his drivers license to be an organ donor. We found out from the nurses that Terry's organs and tissue have the potential to help upwards of 70 people! I know he would be happy about that.

I found the verse below sitting on my table this morning. I think I am suppose to post it....as it was the very topic of discussion that Kiefer, Jerry & I were talking about (each admitting our own issues) while waiting for the doctors to finish up their work.

I Peter 2:11
Behold, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage are against the soul.
NRSV

Terry on South Little Bear-12 March, 2011
Terry on South Little Bear-12 March, 2011
HPIM6872_resized.jpg (155.91 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
JLOHARA
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

Terry, we had plans..... :(
14ers, mountains were his home 14ers.com were his family.
I am so sad to have heard about Terry's death. Terry was a great guy. The mountains were his home, his escape. I had the pleasure of hiking with Terry many times. He was one of the few people I trusted to lead me up some of the more difficult peaks here in Colorado. He was always willing to help me out. I always enjoyed hiking with Terry his funny, wacky sense of humor, his great leadership abilities, always making sure everyone in his hiking group were safe "never out of sight range or never out of yelling range" and his amazing ability to capture the mountains and his friends-family in his photography.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

I like so many others was influenced by Terry and his contributions to this site when I first started climbing. It was a privilage to get to know him and call him my friend. Terry was someone who honestly cared far more about others than himself. He will be missed.
mike_kadow wrote:Terry was one of my first inspirations for hiking. Before he finished them, he was quite the contributor and was always responsive and very helpful to my inquiries. I looked up to Terry and he shared insights with me - a fond mentor.

He will be missed.
I drove down to the Springs last night and spoke with his father and mother. Its heartbreaking to talk to a father who just lost a son that he cared so much for. The photo below is me with his parents last night. They were so thankful to hear of all of the close friends Terry had.
Attachments
IMG_20130713_190524_777.jpg
IMG_20130713_190524_777.jpg (24.5 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Terry in High School.jpg
Terry in High School.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
578532_10103276493777094_1800375577_n.jpg
578532_10103276493777094_1800375577_n.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
ClimbStewart
14ers: 48 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbStewart »

Susan, thanks for posting that tribute to Terry. I only met him a couple times but I know he loved the mountains and his climbing friends. That common thread of climbing and mountaineering brought him together with folks that were as passionate about Colorado's mountains as he was. I was so sorry yesterday to hear about his passing. It's f-ed up but we have to respect whatever choice Terry made. Rest in peace now Terry. We'll see you on the other side of the mountain...in the meantime I hope you find some great peaks out there to keep you busy...
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear this. :(
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Oh, what sad news. My heart breaks for Terry's family. May they somehow find peace in their time of sorrow. Terry truly loved the mountains and was always willing to lend advice to newer climbers.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

I remember training for my first half-marathon in 2012. At some point, I became consumed with self-doubt and self-hate, stopped training, and essentially dropped out of the race. A few days later, I came across Terry's "Acceptance speech" on his finisher thread. He was mentioning his struggles as an overweight, novice climber and how with persistance and goal-setting, accomplished his goal of finishing the 14ers. I was so inspired that I laced up my shoes that nice and ran my ass off. I finished the race a month later. Thanks, Terry.

To all those affected by his passing, please accept my hearfelt condolensces.

Mike
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joelsteidl »

I didn't know Terry personally, but he was always so willing to share his knowledge. It seemed like he really loved to give back in that way. I hurt for those that loved him. I will miss his advice and presence on this site.

I pray for peace for his family. Rest in peace Terry.
JenGa
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JenGa »

I also never met Terry; I know him only through the forum. Still, I am so sad to read this news. My condolences to everyone who knew and loved him. Hiker down :(

I will dedicate my next hiking adventure to him.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and closest friends.

I lost my brother to suicide in January 2011, and I know how hard it is to understand why, so instead of asking "why" I chose to accept it because I knew I would never really know. At the time of my brother's death and since, I just try to remember him as I knew him and for the times we spent together.
That's what I'll do for Terry as well.

I'm not sure when I first met Terry, it might have been at a happy hour in the Springs that he organized from time to time. Or, it was on Barr Trail on Christmas.

Terry_Bob'sRd_XmasDay2010.JPG
Terry_Bob'sRd_XmasDay2010.JPG (125.44 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Terry was very active on the forum from the start of him becoming a member! And often he was trying to share info or give suggestions to others. He definitely cared and he wanted to help others.
I think we had only hiked one peak together, and that was Pikes in March of 2012. Nancy (sunny1) had posted for partners and both Terry and I signed on to join her. That was a nice late winter/early spring hike!
Terry_DevilsPlayground_March2011.JPG
Terry_DevilsPlayground_March2011.JPG (162.71 KiB) Viewed 3787 times

Or I might have first met him when we went to St Marys Glacier to practice self arrest and snow climbing technique. I had offered to go with several members from this site to teach them how to self arrest and demonstrate/coach climbing technique. Two out of the three bailed at the last minute, but Terry stuck with the plan. So we went together. I think that was the first time we had spent any length of time together. Terry did well that day, but what I admired was him sticking with the plan that day and not backing out.

Last summer, he had a breakdown and had told a few of us goodbye. I tried to reach out to him personally, but at that time he didn't want to hear anything from me. So I gave him the space he wanted. Then this past May I sent him an email to check in. He responded, and in fact gave me a job lead for something in the Springs, and gave me a recommendation to the hiring party.

I must shamefully admit that there were times on the forum I was not as supportive of his actions or comments. But I know he was trying to be helpful to others, overall. Terry was a caring guy, he went over the top with organizing events -- and he certainly found serenity in the mountains like all or at least most of us do.
Terry gave himself to others, and I must respect that.

It is sad that he chose not to help himself though, and chose his end. Peace to you Terry, I won't forget you.

-Darin
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by letsgocu »

I'm so sorry to hear about this....... Terry was not a close friend, but a friend none the less like like so many climbers I have had the pleasure of sharing summits and beers with. It's so sad that the mountains that have been his escape for years were not able to get him through his emotional ailments this time around. I know his insight and experience has and will be missed.

Kush - Hats off to you for stepping up as you always do giving some of your time to help others (Terry's family) during a time of need. Good work man.
kushrocks wrote:I like so many others was influenced by Terry and his contributions to this site when I first started climbing. It was a privilage to get to know him and call him my friend. Terry was someone who honestly cared far more about others than himself. He will be missed.
mike_kadow wrote:Terry was one of my first inspirations for hiking. Before he finished them, he was quite the contributor and was always responsive and very helpful to my inquiries. I looked up to Terry and he shared insights with me - a fond mentor.

He will be missed.
I drove down to the Springs last night and spoke with his father and mother. Its heartbreaking to talk to a father who just lost a son that he cared so much for. The photo below is me with his parents last night. They were so thankful to hear of all of the close friends Terry had.
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...