Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by MountainHiker »

Dorthe and I had the pleasure of hiking with Terry on a few occasions. One of our meetings was when Terry planned a gathering on Quandary. There were winter conditions and Dorthe & I were the last ones coming down the trail. Terry was waiting for us with a smile after most people had left.

During 2011 it seemed we kept bumping into Terry along with Anna on mountains. On the small summit of El Diente, Terry & Anna were there. We hiked most of the way out the trail together. The following week Terry’s party did a different route on Kit Carson. Although we didn’t summit together we heard them much of the climb! Terry was there for Jen’s (Lululuv) finisher on Princeton. I didn’t want to drive the narrow road, a decision Dorthe was less than thrilled with. On the way down, Terry was happy to hike out with me while Dorthe got a ride.

In March 2012 we were doing one of our many climbs of Bierstadt when who was on the summit, but Terry along with another friend. Later that year when we met Anna on Column Ridge (next to Stewart) it seemed like a continuation of the trend.

We’re really sorry to hear this. Terry touched so many of us in such a short time. Our condolences to Terry’s family and friends.

Ian & Dorthe
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Sept 17, 2011 Terry after Lululuv finisher
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
zenmasterdzuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zenmasterdzuy »

I just got the word of Terry's passing today.

What a great guy. I met Terry & had the pleasure of hiking several 14ers with him several years ago. I know that Terry was one of the site's major contributors. I know there are plenty of us, & I am certainly included, who occasionally go to 14ers.com to get information, but have never given back, certainly not in the way he has. Terry would plan his hikes & climbs, go to the mountains & come back to give to this community with his whole heart. Terry's attention to detail was second to none. You could count on meeting so many others who would say, "Terry is so awesome. I've read his amazing trip reports & it made me believe I could also do as he had."

I know for certain that he made this world better & truly gave his all. He did the best he could with his kindness, maturity & big heart. The depths of his heart went to those in this community & beyond. He was always caring & very in tune with people. Whether or not you have met Terry, & without him ever saying it, I know that he loved you & I. We share his passion of the mountains. He made us his family. By posting your ambitions & or trip reports, I know that he'd pay attention to your trip, how it went & would watch intently for your safe return. I also know that when people went missing he'd be one of the devout few to personally go out & search for them. Type in tmathews in the search for some of the best route descriptions & pictures.

I was hoping to do some more 14ers with you soon, Terry. Perhaps in another life. Rest peacefully & please continue your watch for us, brother.

The following pictures are of Terry & I going to Kit Carson's North Ridge. Courtesy of Anna Mathes.
Attachments
Terry 4.JPG
Terry 4.JPG (86.02 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
terry 2.JPG
terry 2.JPG (142.82 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Terry & I.JPG
Terry & I.JPG (19.27 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Last edited by zenmasterdzuy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only Zen you find on top of Mountains is the Zen you bring with you.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Terry (Far Right) like some of the rest of us left work at a moments notice to drive all the way to Glenwood Springs at the last minute to come together as friends and meet up and support each other and Rob's dad who flew out from Connecticut after the Rob Jansen accident last August. That is the kind of person he was. He cared more about others than himself.
Attachments
554742_465856233446119_559466290_n.jpg
554742_465856233446119_559466290_n.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Last edited by kushrocks on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

In researching my neighbor's suicide I discovered that there is actually a type of depression that results from things going not poorly, but too well, as they seemingly were for her. It's a tough and inexplicable condition. May he rest in peace.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

I "knew" Terry from this forum for quite a while, and then met him when our respective Humboldt climbs converged in March 2011. He was easy to like from the get go, and the trudge up that east ridge went by quickly as we chatted about past climbs, future goals (one of his being the SW ridge of Little Bear the following weekend...photo in Britt's post), and mutual friends.

My condolences to Terry's family and friends. This is another great loss to our community.
he does really like dogs I.JPG
he does really like dogs I.JPG (338.13 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
he does really like dogs II.jpg
he does really like dogs II.jpg (292.84 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
into the cold.jpg
into the cold.jpg (233.86 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

I never had the pleasure of meeting Terry, but we emailed a few times. He was always willing to answer my questions and he would do that thoroughly. His knowledge of the mountains and equipment was a great help, and I am glad he was willing to share his knowledge and experience with me. Very sad, my condolences to his family and friends.

Daniel
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

When I first started hiking in Colorado and participating in the 14ers forum a few years ago, Terry was always very helpful answering questions about routes and conditions.

We only hiked together a couple times, and randomly ran into each other on peaks a few times. My best memory of Terry is from the Fall 13ers Gathering in October 2011 that wasn't much of a gathering, because we were the only two that showed up that night. A big storm blew into the Sangres that I wasn't aware of since I had been camping and hiking out of phone/internet range the previous 24 hours. We had a nice fire, munched some Subway, and chatted about peaks watching the snow fall. Waking up the next day to almost two feet of snow, I decided not to hike. Another relatively inexperienced 14ers member showed up that morning, and Terry took him snowshoeing with him just to get out and hike without going for any summits.

RIP Terry
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Thx Terry.....for your positive input to others, your enthusiasm to help, and your tireless help you gave to others.
thevagabond
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thevagabond »

Rest in Peace Terry. We never had the chance to hike together, but I did know him through the 14er.com gatherings and thought he was a really nice and caring guy :( The last time I saw Terry hiking was when RJansen, Benfromtheast and I's climb of Redcloud and Sunshine. He had climbed some other route and beat us to the top of Sunshine (We thought we would be the first to summit that day). My thoughts rest with his family, may you all find peace.

- CB
marciamallow
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marciamallow »

I never had the pleasure of climbing with Terry, but I did meet him for the 1rst time at a 14er HH last year. I remember he talked to me as if he knew me as well as any other climber in the 14er community. He was funny and so nice and I was glad to finally meet him after hearing about what a great knowledgable climber he was. My thoughts go out to all the climbers that knew him well. You lost a great friend. Condolences to his family.
Marcia
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

I was so sorry to hear this news today. I only met Terry once, on the summit of San Luis......very friendly. When I first started hiking these mountains, a few years ago, I learned a lot from Terry's responses to the questions from other inexperienced folks. I have two sons myself and I can only imagine the pain that his parents and loved ones are feeling now. You are all in my prayers.