Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tornado
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by tornado »

I haven't met many people on here but had the lucky fortune of meeting Terry, along with Jerry after they'd just completed the Little Bear - Blanca traverse back in 2010. We stayed on the summit of Blanca, talking to them for probably an hour or so after their amazing feat. It was easy to see that Terry was right in his element above 14k and so happy in that moment. It was an honor to share that time with them. RIP

myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

globreal wrote:
Yog wrote:What a real shame to find this out. Too many losses this year, both in the climbing community, and personally.
I would agree….to many losses to our community and personally. I've had a REAL TOUGH last 4 months…especially with Steve and Terry's deaths.

I read a daily devotional each morning. This was todays:

July 16--SELF-PITY IS A SLIMY, BOTTOMLESS PIT.
Once you fall in, you tend to go deeper and deeper into the mire. As you slide down those slippery walls you are well on your way to depression, and the darkness is profound.

Your only hope is to look up and see the Light of My Presence shining down on you. Though the light looks dim from your perspective deep in the pit, those rays of hope can reach you at any depth. While you focus on Me in trust, you rise ever so slowly out of the abyss of despair. Finally, you can reach up and grasp My hand. I will pull you out into the Light again.

Psalm 40:1-2
I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Wallowing in my own self-pity,
Crying out to the Lord…
Britt
Thank you for being a light in a dark world.
tsizz
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tsizz »

myfeetrock wrote:
globreal wrote:
Yog wrote:What a real shame to find this out. Too many losses this year, both in the climbing community, and personally.
I would agree….to many losses to our community and personally. I've had a REAL TOUGH last 4 months…especially with Steve and Terry's deaths.

I read a daily devotional each morning. This was todays:

July 16--SELF-PITY IS A SLIMY, BOTTOMLESS PIT.
Once you fall in, you tend to go deeper and deeper into the mire. As you slide down those slippery walls you are well on your way to depression, and the darkness is profound.

Your only hope is to look up and see the Light of My Presence shining down on you. Though the light looks dim from your perspective deep in the pit, those rays of hope can reach you at any depth. While you focus on Me in trust, you rise ever so slowly out of the abyss of despair. Finally, you can reach up and grasp My hand. I will pull you out into the Light again.

Psalm 40:1-2
I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Wallowing in my own self-pity,
Crying out to the Lord…
Britt
Thank you for being a light in a dark world.
+1
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Great words Britt, what a powerful truth.

Even though I never met Terry I always enjoyed his posts and trip reports. He was witty, funny, and totally selfless in his honesty and advice. It was always apparent that he was happy while in the mountains and participating on these boards. I'm pretty sure the bulk of my first hundred or so posts were questions regarding gear, technique, and routes and Terry was usually not only the first to respond, but he was always helpful with his advice and opinions - like he was reaching back down to yet another newbie with encouragement saying, "Keep going! I did it, so can you." He was always one of the many on this site I have hoped to meet and climb with one day.

I haven't posted in a while and I don't know what else to say except that I've ached in my core for and with this community these last few weeks. I am so sorry for the loss of Terry, a friend, a son, a mentor, and simply an amazing person. I pray for strength for his family and friends to walk this through. To be able to see all the good he did and the lives he touched and infected with his friendship and his love and joy of the mountains. I pray that those who were closest to him will be free of guilt and thoughts of "not doing enough" and I pray for the peace that passes all understanding for everyone who has been grieving his loss. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Go rest high on that mountain, Terry. I'm so sorry the valley could not give you what you needed to stay with us.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

I met Terry twice or thrice on 14er gatherings and an avalanche class. I still remember him casually mentioning to the instructor that he did a few 14ers the previous winter and when prodded said one of them was Little Bear! His posts here have been very helpful specially when I just started out and knew nothing of hiking or 14ers. He had a list of gear he owned grouped in a very helpful way that I've often consulted to check what one needs when hiking in Colorado. Rest in peace Terry.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
LynnKH
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (4)

Post by LynnKH »

summitstep wrote:Go rest high on that mountain, Terry. I'm so sorry the valley could not give you what you needed to stay with us.
Beautifully put.

I hardly knew Terry other than his 14ers.com persona, but his death has made me very sad and upset these past few days. I saw Terry just a few weeks ago at Barr Camp, and of course I had no idea the extent of his struggles. It breaks my heart that the mountains just weren't enough to overcome the depth of his pain.

My thoughts are with those of you who were close to him. What a tough time for this community.
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

I am absolutely overwhelmed by this outpouring of love and respect the 14ers community had for our son. We picked up a few things from his place today and memories just poured out as did the tears. Among his things was one of the calendars he made, it is 2009. My goodness he was such an accomplished mountaineer and photographer. He could have done well just publishing his work. I would like to ask the 14ers and see if anyone might have some his calendars he made with his wonderful photography. The only one we have is 2009. I understand if you can't part with them, I know I would not. I hope to meet many of you on the 27th.
Louis W Mathews
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Truely sorry to hear that an other great member of our community has left us.
Thank you for sharing part of your life with us, goodbye!
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Terry. From what I do know if him, he definitely seemed like a very cool guy! I wish I could have shared a summit with him...I know we would have gotten along very well. R.I.P
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

terry_ddcouloir08.jpg
terry_ddcouloir08.jpg (161.97 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
This was my first hike with terry.
Jerry
81trucolors
14ers: 54  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 81trucolors »

Wow so saddened to hear of his passing. I have read and reread his TRs. My thoughts to his loved ones.