Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Site Administrator

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:45 am

Louis, it was a great day and a pleasure to meet you and your family.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby lakecityrat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:56 pm

What an honor to be able to join such an incredible group of people to say goodbye to such an incredible man. Thank you to all of you and to the Mathews family. I am truly humbled. Rest in peace, Terry.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW

Postby sunny1 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Louis Mathews wrote: We will always feel that Terry has not departed, he is still with us in our hearts and minds.
When you think of him remember his smile, enthusiasm, concern, and that habitual laugh when he spoke to someone he loved and respected....
From time to time a photo, story or recollection of Terry will be added to the Face Book page I created in his name. Feel free to post and share as well.

Strong work, guys - what an honorable thing to do. Thanks for posting the summit pic - that's priceless.

I had a fun memory of Terry today. I'd been hiking and my feet were done. As I took off my boots, there was a flood of instant, amazing relief! Your whole body sighs. :-D
Terry called that "Toe-gasms". :lol:
Anybody else hear him say that?
So fitting!

RIP, buddy.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Yup!
That came up when we all got back to camp yesterday. :lol:
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby globreal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:30 pm

I put together a short video from our climb of Crestone Needle to release Terry Mathews ashes.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/fk1lGUmrPvs

(For some reason I can't get the video to embed in the post.)
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Postby Adventurgal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 pm

A beautiful and powerful video tribute Globreal.
Thank you for sharing.

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Britt, Thanks for sharing.

Not sure why, but the URL comes up differently if I click on it from your home page?

Terry's picture has been riding with us to some summits. Oxford
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Kitten » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 pm

globreal wrote:I put together a short video from our climb of Crestone Needle to release Terry Mathews ashes.

Here is the link:

http://youtu.be/fk1lGUmrPvs

(For some reason I can't get the video to embed in the post.)

Very nice Britt, thanks for sharing. It was emotional to watch.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby Trudger » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

Louis Mathews wrote:Same for me along with a sense of pride. I wish the ones saved someday will know what a great guy he was and how loved and respected by 100's.

Thank you for sharing that donor recipient letter. You should feel proud he was a donor. I've been a donor recipient for 23 years. The quality of my life has been greatly improved ever since that surgery. I wish more people would understand the profound impact blood and organ donation has on recipients - it completely changes our lives. I hope you do get to meet the recipients. While I respect the anonymity wishes of my donor, I've always had a nagging wish I that I could have properly thanked his family.

Postby Louis Mathews » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:56 am

This Friday September 13th will be 2 months since Terry left us. The following Friday September 20th would have been his 39th birthday. Time for us has slowed down, it seems like he has been gone a long time. We are moving forward and I am happy to report that our immediate family have reconciled differences realizing that isolation is detrimental to all concerned. A psychologist from the VA called me yesterday asking how we were doing. I know the grieving process never ends and understand everyone is different and needs time to deal with it. My biggest issue is denial and pretending things are normal when they are not.
This is not confined to biological family but to his extended adopted family in the 14er community and beyond.

Postby HikerCurt » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Mr. Mattews
My sincere condolences on Terry's passing. I never met Terry but feel like I knew him in some small way through this site. As a fellow bereaved father I've unfortuenately learned that I now have a new normal and that time is healing. Even though my son's circumstances were different then Terry's (he was very young) I believe we'll have these in common. I knew I was 'coming to terms' (whatever that means) when I started remembering the good times, hugs and smiles (there were many) instead of remembering when I punished him or yelled at him (very few times). Peace to you and the rest of Terry's family.

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 am

Thinking of Terry on the 39th anniversary of his birth, and missing his text messages, and his intelligence, and his honesty, and vulnerability. He was so brave in his trust.

He would be texting us all today, and we'd smile and think he was a dork, and be glad that he was our friend, because his silly text message might be the brightest spot in our crappy day.

Me: happy birthday terry :-)

PreviousNext