WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Re: Jagged Mountain Accident

Post by globreal »

I am so sorry to hear this. My sincere prayers and condolences to this man's family and friends.

May God carry you through this time of loss and grief.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to his family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Praying for those who knew him. Hate to hear this.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
bjkent76
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bjkent76 »

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. Just terrible news.
malcolml1
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by malcolml1 »

First my thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased.

As someone who climbed Jagged last year (Aug 2012) I am particularly interested to know exactly where the climber fell. The presumption is the party did not use ropes, which we too judged to not need.

Apart from the section (Class 3 on sound rock) above the top notch, the lower pitches take off ledges; clearly one can roll off them, and I guess this happened.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

I don't think this is the place to discuss specifics of the accident.
DRH
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DRH »

'Wyoming Bob' was a classic, historic, and heroic member of the climbing family.
His humor, experience, and instruction is sorely missed
My trust is yours, my friend

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by DRH on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"A mountaineer with no fear has no judgment."
- Lou Dawson

"Honesty is a tough policy, but at least you set expectations where they should be and don't have to spend a lot of time making up lies and excuses!" - cheeseburglar
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

How sad, I didn't realize it was Wyoming Bob. This past couple of weeks has been terrible. I know it comes "with the territory", but to see a couple very experienced climbers die the past couple weeks (in addition to Terry) is disheartening. On the member peak checklist, Wyoming Bob had climbed all 58 14ers (100+ 14ers in total). Steve had climbed all 58 and nearly 500 14ers in total. SJ Ron :(
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

DRH wrote:'Wyoming Bob' was a classic, historic, and heroic member of the climbing family.
His humor, experience, and instruction is sorely missed
My trust is yours, my friend
I too didn't realize this was "Wyoming Bob" until now. Wow…he is a very respected member of this community.

I've read many of his trip reports over the years:

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He too will be sorely missed.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Wow. Another fallen legend. I have always loved Wyoming Bob's TRd and posts. I was a bit worried that's who it was going to be.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by EatinHardtack »

Wow, when I saw that this was the Wyoming Bob, my heart sank. I had been reading his trip reports for years. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Wow, it's really sobering when somebody with that much experience and skill is taken.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert