WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Jagged Mountain Accident

Post by unclegar »

Same here. I wondered if it might be Wyoming Bob but thought that would have been identified by now if it was. Dang! I greatly appreciated his TR on Dragon's Tail which served as beta for my climb this year. I also referred to other TR's of his. It is clear from his web page that he was very experienced and knew the risks involved in his activities though that doesn't make it any easier for those left behind. My condolences to his family and friends. I pray that you will find peace and comfort in this time of sorrow.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

Seems as if the mountains are calling the heroes to the heavens. RIP to the fallen. Thoughts and prayers to the family. Stay safe everybody.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

This has been a hard few weeks. I never met "Wyoming Bob" but did communicate with him a bit here on 14ers. What a shame.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I'm shocked. Wyoming Bob's trip reports inspired me years ago when I first started, and they continued to do so. Another very experienced climber lost. It's been a rough year. Rest in peace.
Last edited by SurfNTurf on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

So very sad to hear.

I never met or hiked with Bob, but I felt like I knew him through his posts in the forum, and his trip reports. Like Steve Gladbach and Terry Mathews, he was an influential, informative, and positive force in this community. While skimming threads, I would always pause to read what Wyoming Bob had to say. He always knew what he was talking about.

We need to do all we can to avoid any more fatalities this year. The rains lately have been torrential throughout the mountains, and the steep, saturated terrain is going to be even looser and more dangerous than usual for a while. Let's all be careful out there. And let's all try to be a lot nicer to each other, too.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

CRAP. Wyoming Bob?!! This sucks. Already expressed my condolences to the unknown family but now they go out to the family and friends of Wyoming Bob. What grief.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Such sad news. :cry: Wyoming Bob made many contributions to this site, and his website full of trip reports were always inspiring to me and has assisted me in my own adventures. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends, family, and climbing partners. We lost yet another highly experienced climber in our climbing family.

This is one of his last posts on the forum after learning the news of Steve Gladbach's tragic accident. Let us remember Wyoming Bob's words and honor him with a moment of silence on our next summit.

"Very sad, I never met Steve and knew him only through his trip reports but I came away from those trip reports thinking "Wow, would'a been fun to tag along on that one" or "That was one heck of a climb"

Having been through one of these events with a close knit climbing group after a loss, I can offer only my thoughts and condolences to Steve's family and partners as to their loss. When we climb we remember those who we have lost as Steve will be remembered by so so many.

Celebrate the man, the accomplishments and let's all take a moment on our next summit for a brief moment of silence for Steve. I have this subtle hunch, he may be watching."
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Wow. I'm so sorry to hear about Howard's passing. To his family, friends, and the people he was climbing with that day, I offer my sincerest condolences as they cope with the tragic accident. I never met "WyomingBob," but his reputation on 14ers.com always preceded him as a guy held in high esteem by our community.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Oh my ... this is very sad. Wyoming Bob and I exchanged many pm's. He was always full of information and humor. I often referenced his website. This really is becoming an overwhelming situation with the losses of such wonderful climbing people this year. :cry:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Oh Man this is just terrible!!! Never went out with him, however, I have read and enjoyed many of his trip reports
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Ugh. My thoughts and condolences to Wyoming Bob's friends and family.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I admit to wrestling with the nature of this pastime and my attraction to it despite the risks. May we all honor the lives of those who have recently perished and for their sake not take for granted even one minute the gift of life.
Last edited by doggler on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

This is such a shame. And to happen in such a beautiful place where Howard experienced misfortunes in the past. This just flat out sucks. RIP Wyoming Bob.