1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes: 119
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Post by Monster5 »

While a donation should be encouraged and is a necessity to the implementation of a training fund, I'm not certain if that sort of wording ("mandatory" or "minimum" donation) accurately reflects Steve's character. Seems like he'd be the first to throw an arm around somebody and invite them along without a thought to finances.

Donate what you can, even if it's just your presence. The amount need not be specified, formalized, or publicly disclosed, particularly when finances come secondary to remembrance.

Edit: what fishsteak said sounds good
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

SurfNTurf wrote:I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.
Agree with this.

I can make any weekend other than Sept 21-22, so I voted Oct 5-6. Great idea, very much looking forward to it!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

While donations are great and likely plentiful, nothing like this should ever be about money. Maybe the financial end of this event could be discussed through PM. IMO, it sort of takes away from the beauty of remembering and honoring Steve. As mentioned above, Steve was a cheerful giver and making giving mandatory doesn't seem Gladbach-like.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Monster5 wrote:Seems like he'd be the first to throw an arm around somebody and invite them along without a thought to finances.
He paid for my hotel room when we stayed overnight prior to his winter finisher, just so I could be there. (Money was tight at the time, due to lack of work.)
Sky
14ers: 47 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sky »

This is a no-brainer! I'm in!!
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Sounds great, I'll try to join if the dates work out.

I'd leave the fee out of it for another reason:
Charging a mandatory/minimum/entry fee makes this a commercial event, which then requires all the red-tape of USFS permitting, insurance minimums, etc, etc.

I've run into this in my various trail running events over the years. An "official" event with an entry fee requires a permit, but a "fatass" event (ultrarunning term for a free run/race) doesn't for groups up to 75. Since this could get quite large and garner some attention, probably best to not run afoul of the permitting rules.

- Chris
TheOtherIndian
14ers: 50  7 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (10)

Post by TheOtherIndian »

d_baker wrote: He paid for my hotel room when we stayed overnight prior to his winter finisher, just so I could be there. (Money was tight at the time, due to lack of work.)
Man, looks like the list of this guy's good deeds never ends!!

As for the hike, I'm in any of the weekends listed.
Anything less than immortality is a complete waste of time. -Bender 'Bending' Rodriguez
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Fletch wrote:Anna - Would it help to split up the groups and go up different routes? I'd be interested in going up over S Elbert and meeting you all at the summit... Any thoughts?
I would be interested in that.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I'm in for any of the above. Have PM'd but have been waiting for years to meet this guy in person...this will be the closest I will get....
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
dwoods15
14ers: 32 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoods15 »

I'd be down for the south route.
joebechina
14ers: 20  7 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joebechina »

I will make any weekend work! I will be there!
mjsherman
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mjsherman »

I will try and make any of the weekends work.