UPDATE: Memorial Service for Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: UPDATE: Memorial Service for Steve Gladbach

Post by Mindy »

What an honor to be able to attend today's celebration of Steve's life. The love his family conveyed for him was truly moving. Although I met Steve on only a couple occasions, the past few days will remain with me always … as a mother, a daughter, a sister, friend, and aspiring mountaineer.

Mr. Gladbach (Bill), you read to us a list of things that was suggested we aspire to. Would you mind sharing that list here?

Today was a true celebration. Thank you for letting me be a part of that.

Mindy Carson Hatcher
Boulder, CO
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Mindy wrote:What an honor to be able to attend today's celebration of Steve's life. The love his family conveyed for him was truly moving. Although I met Steve on only a couple occasions, the past few days will remain with me always … as a mother, a daughter, a sister, friend, and aspiring mountaineer.

Mr. Gladbach (Bill), you read to us a list of things that was suggested we aspire to. Would you mind sharing that list here?

Today was a true celebration. Thank you for letting me be a part of that.

Mindy Carson Hatcher
Boulder, CO
I agree Mindy, it was indeed an honor to participate in honoring our friend Steve. Not only was the love for Steve's family (and how he so loved his family) conveyed, the unity from this climbing community was astounding! Steve's life touched so many of us...I pray his life, legacy, and character continues to trickle through 14ers.com (me, you, all of us here) for years come.

Britt Jones
Monument, CO
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I loved when everyone who climbed with Steve was asked to raise their hands. What a testimony to his love of sharing the mountains with others.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

It was a beautiful memorial, from the procession, to the singing, the sermon and especially Steve's amazing family. It's hard to let go of someone like Steve, someone so "bigger than life." We weren't ready to let go, we all still wanted a little more.

Steve's family gave us that. And they were so gracious, and made everyone feel so welcome. I have never been moved so quickly to tears of sorrow, and laughter, and sorrow, and laughter. There is real loss, but there is so much life - and laughter - in the memories, too, and his family was so generous in sharing those memories with us. Steve's selfless nature is no longer a mystery: It was in his DNA.

I didn't know Steve well, met him just once, and didn't even know who he was at the time, to tell you the truth. But I followed his adventures, and his advice, shared through the trip reports and the forum, and like a lot of people, I'm sure, came to see him as the brother we wanted and never had. But in his passing, and in the sharing of his life through the words, the stories, and the love of his brothers, I feel like he is my brother, now, too. Thank you to his family for giving that - for giving him - to us, to all of us. Please know that your generosity did not go unnoticed, and your gift will continue to be shared by all of us going forward, in our own words, our own actions, our own lives.

Listening to the stories his brothers told, all those stories of love and adventure, and especially hearing about the note that Steve kept all these years from his little brother Jerry, reminded me of the importance of reaching out to those you love and appreciate, all those people in your life who make it worth living. It reminded me how important it is to reach out now, and tell them how you feel, and how important they are to you. I was reminded to act quickly, and not wait, because you never know when the opportunity will pass.

We are here for a short time, sometimes too short. I called my sisters yesterday. I called my kids. I'm going to call my mother today, and try to find my little sister who moved to China, and who I haven't spoken to in years. And I'm going to sit down this week and write each one of them a letter, a "letter from Jerry." Not an email, not a phone call, but a real letter with an envelope and a stamp. And a lot of love. Thank you, Gladbach family, for making me do this. It is long overdue.
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

The memorial could not have been any better.
His daughter singing was incredible.
I could have sat riveted to my seat and listened to Mark and his brothers speak of Steve all day.
What a amazing man and what A life he lived.
I had no idea one person could do so much.
God bless you Steve and your family.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I'll echo the comments above, what a wonderful celebration of Steve's life. I tried to do the best i could to convey condolences to Steve's brothers, but got a bit choked up. When doing so, Jerry Gladbach commented that the family didn't realize how well respected and admired Steve was in the mountaineering community. I was out on a jog this morning and reflected that after so many climbers raised their hands to signify that they had climbed with Steve, it was as though Steve was a great sun that drew so many others into his orbit. It's an apt comparison: Steve had sooo much energy, always shining. What an inspirational man and family.

-Tom
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

Beautiful service. So easy to see where he got his compassion, humility, sense of humor... it runs in the family!

I regret I couldn't stay for the reception. I had to race back to Boulder for a wedding. I have to say, I think I laughed more at Steve's service!
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

John and Tom, couldn't agree more. This man will be missed for a long time to come.

BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Mindy wrote:

[/i]
Yes. I too would like a copy of those items. 12? I think? I'm not sure how the list was introduced but something like what do we do to move on from this place of grief. That was an amazing eulogy and challenge.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

BKS wrote:
Mindy wrote:

[/i]
Yes. I too would like a copy of those items. 12? I think? I'm not sure how the list was introduced but something like what do we do to move on from this place of grief. That was an amazing eulogy and challenge.
I'd love a copy too. Was trying to recant the list to my daughter, but could not remember them all.

Susan,...well said. The service was a great tribute to a great man. Watching the family members, one by one, place his gear on the table with his backpack and picture, still brings me to tears. And hearing his daughter Linda sing, with the stories from his long time hiking/climbing partner and brothers...very moving.

I too, left the service, thinking of ways to improve upon the person I am and to try to make a positive difference in the lives of others. Way to go Steve, even in death, you have a positive impact on people....
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

I can only echo the comments above. I, like many people on this site, didn't know Steve very well personally, yet I was constantly inspired by his actions and stories of humbleness on the mountain. I have an immense amount of respect for not only his climbs, but the way he lived his life "with purpose" and "2500 times more humble" than the normal person. The heartfelt stories from Mark, Bill, Jerry, and Tim struck me as deeply as any memorial as I have ever been to. It was a true honor to stand outside the church and toast Steve with shots of Hot Damn! and listen to stories of his days rough-necking for college money, slightly blustery 70mph winds on winter hikes, and most of all the genuine admiration people had for him. I would like to say thank you (though the words do the true feeling no justice) to his family and friends for sharing this moment.

I think it's safe to say that everyone in attendance left inspired to be a better person and to carry Steve's legacy forward with them. I know I am inspired to, not only into the mountains, but through life in general.

Most of all I would like to say thank you to Steve, for continuing to positively influence myself, and this community even in your passing.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

It was great to get a chance to honor Steve with family, friends, students, and all those in the CO hiking community who were inspired by Steve in some way over the years. He gave of himself freely to friends and strangers alike in the hills, which is something I strive to get better at in the years to come. It really amazes me how many people have stories of his giving spirit. I wish I would have got a chance to spend more time with him while he was here. May his legacy and memory live on.

Kevin
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson