Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nomad
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by nomad »

We lost a man with a wealth of knowledge, lucky for me he gave me good advice on more then one occasion! What a class act he was.
" The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war"
Recon 1st inf. Div.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Steve was such a blessing to the 14er community and I know that the community was also a blessing to Steve. As we watched this thread grow from the beginning with information and updates, we all hoped for the best while fearing the worst. I would like to acknowledge Mountain Rescue Aspen for making the decision to begin the search for Steve immediately instead of waiting the standard 24 hours. Although the outcome was what we all feared, your quick response and efforts gave Steve the best opportunity for survival. I would also like to thank the members of this site who volunteered with the rescue operation, as well as, all the people who desired to assist but acknowledged their contributions would be limited. It is in times like these that the best of the 14er community shines through.

To Steve's family and close friends, I am deeply sorry for your loss and I hope that with time, you are able to find peace with the loss of such a wonderful man.

Rest in Peace, Steve Gladbach.

-Nick
mvtrailrunner
14ers: 58  4  12 
13ers: 58 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steve Gladbach/Gladbach Gratitude

Post by mvtrailrunner »

Kathleen Gladbach wrote:Dear 14ers.com Family,

... The last peak that Steve summited was Thunder Pyramid, but his final ascent occurred sometime shortly thereafter, and we can't help but think that the view he's enjoying now must be spectacular.

Thank you to all of you, his second family, and to the Aspen Search and Rescue Team, who brought Steve home to us not once, but twice.

We are the family the Creator gave to him; you are the family he gathered to himself like so many alpine flowers....
This is such a beautiful post and your Faith in the midst of sorrow is an inspiration! My prayers go out to you, Linda, Alise, Nona and the rest of the Gladbach family. May God continue to give you strength and comfort as I see He has already done! I was climbing with Steve on that day in the Maroon bells. Nona was indeed heroic and compassionate and Steve was still trying to look after us even though he was too injured to move. I'm sure that Steve's caring heart must have been passed down and nurtured by some very loving parents, brothers and sisters. Thank you for all you have done in helping Steve become such a gift to so many people!

-Matt
jpfeif001
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by jpfeif001 »

My heart goes out to all of Steve's family and friends. I wish I had, had the opportunity to meet such an incredible person. Even so, I can't help but feel a terrible loss for someone that impacted so many lives, yet feel so uplifted by the wonderful humanity and compassion displayed here. I wish I could say more, but I cannot find the words, I am just so sorry for all of you for your loss.
The spaces between is where I reside, In the moment is where I live, and my family and friends are who I love.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

My first time out with Steve was Pikes Peak on a brutal day in February '09. Bigtrout was there too. I died. But to the point, at one of our breaks Steve pulls out a gallon size zip lock bag of Dots candy. I thought, wow, he doesn't use Hammer gel and stuff like that? Anyway, I accepted several pieces of candy and threw them in my mouth and began chewing. We were hiking in -20 wind chill but the candy was chewy and warm. I said, "hey!....these are warm". Steve smiled and said, "That's because I keep them by my balls". My official introduction.
StevieTwoShoes
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by StevieTwoShoes »

Wow. I only met Steve once, but it was a memorable experience. We met up to hike Sherman back in, I think, 2008. Once I found out he was a teacher, we spent a great deal of time talking about the current state of education, including what would eventually become my reasons for leaving to work overseas. His years of experience in the mountains were certainly helpful, but it was his wisdom about our shared careers that had the most significant impact on my life. Shame I never got the chance to thank him, but some of the things we discussed that day really did change my life.
"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -Wilson Mizner
bigtrout
14ers: 20 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigtrout »

Johnson wrote:My first time out with Steve was Pikes Peak on a brutal day in February '09. Bigtrout was there too. I died. But to the point, at one of our breaks Steve pulls out a gallon size zip lock bag of Dots candy. I thought, wow, he doesn't use Hammer gel and stuff like that? Anyway, I accepted several pieces of candy and threw them in my mouth and began chewing. We were hiking in -20 wind chill but the candy was chewy and warm. I said, "hey!....these are warm". Steve smiled and said, "That's because I keep the by my balls". My official introduction.
Thanks, Barry. I remember that day. It was one of my first peaks, also. I don't remember Steve saying that, but he had a way of saying things that would catch you off guard. And he was always quick to hand out soft, chewy, sugary candy. Another one of his favorite candies was the orange slices.
Be Nice; Take Care of Yourself; Work Hard - Stephen Gladbach's Three Rules
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I can still hear Steve's voice, as he told me endless stories about just about anything and everything. I remember how sometimes he would close his eyes while in thought, and his eyelids would kind of flutter as he was digging into the huge reserve of knowledge of his.
I remember his quick little laughs.

I always found it interesting when he would talk, at times he would digress from the original thought and go off into something else. Then, near the end of that train of thought and shared wisdom, he would ask, "Now how did we get on this? Oh yeah, so...." and back to the original topic! Mind you, this could be 1/2hr later or so. Then he would proceed to finish the first story!

Yeah, I'm really going to miss you Steve....but I won't forget you.

Yesterday while on a hike to Barr Camp with Val and Carson, we talked of Steve's compassion for others. I said that whenever I start to think negative thoughts of others or when I start being a caustic sarcastic jerk, I should come to this thread to be put in my place by reading about Steve's fine examples of how a man should behave.
Thank you Steve.

-Darin

ps....I'm interested in hearing what winter centennials Steve didn't get to. I'm aware of most of what he was able to do the last couple of winters, with the exception of Feb & March of this year. I don't think he was checking them off as winter ascents on his list here on 14ers.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

d_baker wrote:ps....I'm interested in hearing what winter centennials Steve didn't get to. I'm aware of most of what he was able to do the last couple of winters, with the exception of Feb & March of this year. I don't think he was checking them off as winter ascents on his list here on 14ers.
Steve and I had been discussing the 5th class Centennials for 2 years. We were about to pull the trigger on Jagged last winter (I bought a pulk for the occasion), but weather and work schedules got in the way. Then he and I were slated to go up Teakettle this past March, but he bailed the night before I was to leave and said that he had a chest cold he couldn't shake. FWIW, he'd already done Dallas, and when I said I was thinking about it he offered to go up again, saying he didn't feel he did it with the style he wanted, that he was alone in poor weather and sort of nervous the whole time. He wanted to go back and enjoy it. I regret not having that chance with him.
-Tom
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Thanks Tom.
Mad Mike, myself, and Steve also had gotten together prior to Xmas to talk about Jagged, but had to abort plans once the Xmas snow started down there. I have a "rough list" of peaks that I recall he wanted to do last winter, most of which I don't think he was able to get to because of weather & conditions. There are a few I would like to do "for him" in the coming years. Let's talk this winter.

EDIT: Once we aborted our Jagged plans, in typical Gladbach style, he stormed the Sawatch and pulled off quite a few ascents (Hope, French -> Casco, Oklahoma, N Apostle, and later would get Ice). I think those peaks (aside from the successful Ice ascent in January) he was able to do during his Xmas break from school! And I might be missing a peak or two in that list. Maybe Emerald & Iowa?
Last edited by d_baker on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Egogo
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Egogo »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote: He was also the most generous guy any of us ever met.

Three of us are walking out of the parking lot to go climb. He says, hey Jim, would you take a look at something for me? We go back to his car, he opens the trunk, and has two ropes there. He asks me if they're any good. They were his father in law's, used for SAR, but never actually used. They looked brand new, supple, fresh. I said, heck, they look great to me.

So he turns to me and says, "You want 'em?"

We climbed all day on the blue rope, and since then, Blue has been host to the goals and aspirations of many beginning climbers. Blue's getting a bit dirty now, but as long as it's serviceable, it's going to keep helping new folks get to the top of climbs. One small way I can honor Steve's spirit of mentoring. Steve helped me to find my love of helping others with rock climbing. Steve has given us all so very much. We are all so blessed to have had this man here on earth with us.

Thank you, Steve.
One day Jim was so proud to say to me while preparing a climbing rope at the Kindergarten Rock.
"Hey, you know what? Steve Gladbach gave this nice 50 meter rope to me~"

I never met with Steve but I've been to the top of climbs many times with Steve's Blue.
Thank you, Steve.
Attachments
Another climber is with Blue. (This photo was taken by Jim)
Another climber is with Blue. (This photo was taken by Jim)
Blue Rope.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

d_baker wrote:I'm interested in hearing what winter centennials Steve didn't get to. I'm aware of most of what he was able to do the last couple of winters, with the exception of Feb & March of this year. I don't think he was checking them off as winter ascents on his list here on 14ers.
Darin,

I just PM'd this to I Man (Matt) as he has a desire to finish Steve's winter Centennial list as well.
Britt

Steve's didn't have a Cent list in winter list that I can go look at. (I don't know how he kept that list.) Some of the one's I know he needed are:

Jagged
Hagerman
Gladstone
Vermilion
(I think Vestal was also on the list.)
He only needed 9-10 to finish, but I am sorry I don't know from memory the others.